Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:26 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,103 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are Retired and living in the Great Pacific Northwest but have been considering moving to a warmer climate for quite some time.
I could go back and look at earlier threads for reference but the markets are changing so fast I would like to find out what the Current Housing Climate is at this point, and if it is still comming down.

Are there any Nice 55+ active adult communities in the area. That would probably be our 1rst choice if possible.

As an example, what would $200,000 cash buy in a good area.

Anything ??

Last edited by silverfox; 05-23-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 08:10 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,147 times
You might want to take a look at Del Webb's Alegría development in Bernalillo, close to Río Rancho.

Del Webb at Alegria: Bernalillo, NM, New homes by Del Webb

Old 05-23-2010, 11:26 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,983 times
While Albuquerque is heavy on the sunshine, I thought I'd point out that, depending on where you live in the Pacific Northwest, the climate in ABQ, while pretty moderate, is likely actually a bit colder in the winter than where you currently are. However it's likely a bit warmer during the summer/fall months (but not much). This is especially true if you live west of the cascades. Keep in mind that Albuquerque is roughly a mile in elevation. Nearby Santa Fe posts summer temperatures that are very similar to Seattle, and winter there is a fair bit colder than Seattle.

I'm not saying it's a bad place to retire, just an FYI. Nearby Texas and Arizona are considerably warmer.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:24 AM

560 posts, read 1,715,123 times
Texas and Arizona also have better medical facilities. The quality of health care in New Mexico bites it. I felt this was worth mentioning because it is something my parents overlooked when they retired here.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM

366 posts, read 869,206 times
I think the only adult communities in Albuquerque are manufactured homes. Sandia Meadows comes to mind as does something in four hills. In which case, $200K is way more than enough. If you are looking for a bigger selection of adult communities you will want to look at Rio Rancho, Los Lunas, Belen, and surrounding areas. I would expect $200K to go plenty far in those areas as well (but no idea).

As far as the current market goes we are something like 10% off our peak and it bounces around whether the average/medians etc are going up or down for the given month.

The median sales price is somewhere around 180K I think, so I could say your 200K will be fine, but that would be a random guess having no idea what you actually want in a house.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:04 PM

51 posts, read 115,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
Texas and Arizona also have better medical facilities. The quality of health care in New Mexico bites it. I felt this was worth mentioning because it is something my parents overlooked when they retired here.
I totally agree about the health care here! Fortunately, we did find a good family doctor. But, I dread the day someone needs to go to the hospital.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,324 times
Four Hills isn't an over 55 community but there are a lot of retired people living there, especially in the Condo's close to the base perimeter fence and Hidden Valley.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 AM

366 posts, read 869,206 times
Whoops should of said near four hills not in it. There is a retirement mobile home park near four hills.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Visit Jubilee Los Lunas - an active adult community in New Mexico This is another option...also you are leaving a no income tax state (not withstanding Gates dads plot) ...for about 5% Income tax...property taxes are about average. Also if allergies/dust are a problem, its get pretty severe in the spring.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
After awhile people run out of locations to consider for retirement. We all have to live someplace. Adequate medical care as well as affordable housing, cost of living and climate are all major requirements for the retired person. Hopefully Albuquerque fits the needs and requirements for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque