U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 PM

44 posts, read 92,462 times

Advertisements

Propane is outrageous. Some clients in Placitas were paying about $1200 per month through the winter. Granted it is a very large home but they were not here full time. They are now working with neighbors to get natural gas lines in as it will be a huge long term savings and investment for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:46 AM

110 posts, read 293,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
I'm switching over from propane to natural gas and am trying to determine how much lower my winter heating bill will be.

This past year, it cost me roughly $2,100 to keep my place warm from late October through April. Can anyone tell me how much I'll be paying next year, assuming the rates remain the same?
Propane does not burn as hot as natural gas. I've lived with both. Your heating bill should drop to about half.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:31 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,568,393 times
When I lived in Placitas, I switched from propane to natural gas at a cost of $3,500. It involved laying about 150 yards of pipe. Recouped the cost in less than three years. Made the decision during the winter when propane couldn't be delivered because there was a problem with the supply in Texas.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:10 PM

120 posts, read 112,811 times
If I may add my 2 cents here and I'm assuming therm rates are different when comparing Florida to New Mexico but I can tell you, natural gas is the way to go, if you can. Not only is it cheaper but more convenient than propane. I currently work for TECO (Tampa Electric, Peoples Gas & New Mexico Gas are under the TECO umbrella) so I am familiar with prices, consumption, issues, installation, etc...but within the Florida scope. Haven't ventured my career to NM yet but I'm working on that! Installation may have a high cost up front but if you're planning on living at the same address long term, you'll save $ in the long run with natural gas.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:16 PM

4,142 posts, read 6,327,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
When I lived in Placitas, I switched from propane to natural gas at a cost of $3,500. It involved laying about 150 yards of pipe.
Where I live the gas company pays the expense of installation from the main to the meter, which is usually located right next to the residence/business. Owner pays for everything after the meter. Where I live it's not always a simple matter on many lots where rocks and steep grades make ditching a nightmare. I don't know where the utility draws the line at how much they will pay for if the distance from main to meter is excessive.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Where I live the gas company pays the expense of installation from the main to the meter, which is usually located right next to the residence/business. Owner pays for everything after the meter.
Same with Florida - Peoples Gas pays for the construction from the street to the meter. The customer pays from the meter to their home. This is how it should be. And the techs at PGS are not licensed to work on applicances so if there is an appliance issue, a new gas line needed (from the meter) to the house or yard, etc...one would need a licensed gas contractor or plumber and they of course charge their own fees. Is this the same for NM?

Old 10-21-2016, 08:04 AM

4,142 posts, read 6,327,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc74 View Post
...one would need a licensed gas contractor or plumber and they of course charge their own fees. Is this the same for NM?
Yes. The gas company for my area won't approve the installation from the meter until a licensed contractor does the work and vouches for it. Not sure if the gas company witnesses the leak test or not. Any subsequent work, after the meter is turned on, can be "fudged" since enforcement of the licensed contractor ordinance is lax.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:19 AM

Ok I thought so. Since I basically work for the same gas company I figured it was the same I just didn't know if there were other gas companies in NM with varying rules? The NM gas company covers a lot of area. They have more customers than PGS in Florida...

Old 10-21-2016, 08:46 AM

1,984 posts, read 2,176,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Where I live the gas company pays the expense of installation from the main to the meter, which is usually located right next to the residence/business. Owner pays for everything after the meter. Where I live it's not always a simple matter on many lots where rocks and steep grades make ditching a nightmare. I don't know where the utility draws the line at how much they will pay for if the distance from main to meter is excessive.
Our gas meter is near the end of our driveway and the street, as are all of the meters in our area. That's about 100 feet from the house. I'm sure that the then PNM wanted the meters there for ease of reading.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:30 AM

23,762 posts, read 38,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Our gas meter is near the end of our driveway and the street, as are all of the meters in our area. That's about 100 feet from the house. I'm sure that the then PNM wanted the meters there for ease of reading.
A few years ago PNM installed remote meters, self contained battery, transmits to the street, the meater reader just drives by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque