Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 04:24 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times

Advertisements

I found a few recipes that I want to try and they call for dry white wine for cooking. I know nothing about wine. So what inexpensive wine can I use for cooking...and once the bottle is opened how long will it keep?

Also share red wines in case I come across more recipes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 07:47 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,395 times
Best place I like to ask is the liquor store. Talk to the person(s) work'n there and they will tell you what others use/like/don't like etc.

Can't remember the stuff I've used but it had a Kangaroo on it. Yellow Tail? I'm not a wine drinker so it will last a long time imo, for cook'n anyway.

Sounds like your cook'n fish? Mind if we know what ya got cook'n?

Old 10-29-2010, 08:02 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,399 times
I buy wine at the grocery store. I've always gone by the rule, only cook with wine you would drink. But then I like wine. What others like really has no bearing, what do YOU like? But it would be helpful to have someone telly you if it was sweeter or dryer to fit best with your dish.

Once opened it will last 1-2 weeks at most. Air will make it oxidize and go bad faster. To retain the quality, either transfer it to a smaller botter (less air) or use a method that pulls the air out of the bottle for storage.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:17 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,415,868 times
Lisa, don't waste your money on what's called "cooking wine" at the supermarket. Buy a less expensive white wine like a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. If you and DH have a glass with dinner you won't have any leftover
For a red wine I would suggest a Pinot Noir or a Zinfandel.

I can come and be your test taster

Old 10-29-2010, 10:59 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,001,642 times
Basically is what you are doing is imparting the flavor into the foods.
Fish, chicken etc just use an inexpensive white like a Chardoney(sp) if you buy the "cooking wines" they have salt added.
A $5.99 bottle is about right...Yellowtail is ok, as well as similiar other out of country wines.

Red's just plain ole burgandy.

Let us know how things turn out...

Remember the "Galloping Gourmet" always had a couple sips+- while cooking.
Me too.
HW

Old 10-29-2010, 01:36 PM

44,349 posts, read 20,053,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
I buy wine at the grocery store. I've always gone by the rule, only cook with wine you would drink. But then I like wine. What others like really has no bearing, what do YOU like? But it would be helpful to have someone telly you if it was sweeter or dryer to fit best with your dish.

Once opened it will last 1-2 weeks at most. Air will make it oxidize and go bad faster. To retain the quality, either transfer it to a smaller botter (less air) or use a method that pulls the air out of the bottle for storage.
I buy most of my wine at the grocery store, too. (Liquor stores, in my area, charge more for identical products.) My store has a large selection, from real cheap stuff to Dom Perignon. For cooking with white wine, I'd suggest an inexpensive (~ $5-$6) chardonnay or sauvignon blanc. For cooking with red, a similarly-priced merlot or shiraz. If you enjoy drinking wine as well, I'd suggest spending more, buying better quality wine, and enjoying it at the table with your meal.

EDIT: Just thought of one more thing. My grocery store carries little bottles of wine by Gallo and Vendange that are only $1.25 apiece. They come in a variety of types - whites and reds - and are the perfect size to have handy for cooking. They're not great wines, but work fine in recipes. And by using these little bottles, you'll have less, if any, left over to go to waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
Lisa, don't waste your money on what's called "cooking wine" at the supermarket. Buy a less expensive white wine like a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. If you and DH have a glass with dinner you won't have any leftover
For a red wine I would suggest a Pinot Noir or a Zinfandel.

I can come and be your test taster
I like Bella's idea about being a test taster!

Seriously, I agree - never purchase anything labeled as "cooking wine" or "cooking sherry." It's swill. For cooking, use regular, drinkable wine. IMHO, zinfandel might be a little too sweet for recipes, and it does not have a robust flavor which would enhance other flavors in a dish.

One more thing - Although I generally purchase wines in the $8-$13 range just to have on hand, I have also discovered that my local Aldi store carries some much cheaper wines that are pretty good, and work very well for cooking.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:41 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Quote:
Seriously, I agree - never purchase anything labeled as "cooking wine" or "cooking sherry." It's swill. For cooking, use regular, drinkable wine. IMHO, zinfandel might be a little too sweet for recipes, and it does not have a robust flavor which would enhance other flavors in a dish.

Zinfandel ....sweet?

ETA - if you are thinking of "white" zinfandel..I would definitely agree (and since it is more "blush" anyway wouldn't consider it for a recipe calling for a dry white)...regular Zinfandel is red and I've always found it to have lots of flavor....

Old 10-29-2010, 02:45 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,472 times
Lisa, MM is right Zinfandel is sweet, not to be used for cooking. Dry white wine's that I use for cooking and are used in my recipes in my cookbooks are a Sauvignon Blanc & Chardonnay. I buy the 750 L. and once the white wine is opened keep in the fridge with the cork on, it will last a least a month. As far as dry red wine, Merlot is an excellent choice, once opened do not put in fridge, it will not last as long as the ww, however your cooking choices for red are endless, I always add rw in my h/m gravy, (spaghetti sauce), a must in beef stews. When your red wine starts to turn, add it to white vinegar and you have red vinegar. As others have said, don't waste your money on "cooking" wine it is garbage. You also need to pick up a good Marsala wine, (does not need to be refrigerated and lasts up to 6 mos. opened). Marsala wine for chicken, veal and some fish dishes.

What do you want to make?

Old 10-29-2010, 03:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Lisa, MM is right Zinfandel is sweet, not to be used for cooking. Dry white wine's that I use for cooking and are used in my recipes in my cookbooks are a Sauvignon Blanc & Chardonnay. I buy the 750 L. and once the white wine is opened keep in the fridge with the cork on, it will last a least a month. As far as dry red wine, Merlot is an excellent choice, once opened do not put in fridge, it will not last as long as the ww, however your cooking choices for red are endless, I always add rw in my h/m gravy, (spaghetti sauce), a must in beef stews. When your red wine starts to turn, add it to white vinegar and you have red vinegar. As others have said, don't waste your money on "cooking" wine it is garbage. You also need to pick up a good Marsala wine, (does not need to be refrigerated and lasts up to 6 mos. opened). Marsala wine for chicken, veal and some fish dishes.

What do you want to make?
Real Zinfandel is red, semi dry, and wonderful to cook with!
That pink nasty stuff just needs to go away.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:15 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,373 times
Hi Lisa!

I don't really drink wine either, but have lots of recipes that call for both red & white wine. What I do, is buy the little 4 packs of both red & white made by Sutter Home. Each little bottle is about a cup, which is perfect for most recipes I've used. It works great. I have 3 little bottles of red wine and 2 little bottles of white in my cabinet right now.
I've always been able to find these 4 packs in the grocery store.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages