Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:33 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times

Advertisements

I rarely drink if I am going out and have to drive; perhaps one beer before dinner; or one glass of wine with dinner.

And if I am not eating, and driving, I never drink regardless of the function or venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
I quit drinking about 18 days ago and I haven't went out since. But I'm thinking of going out again sometime next weekend. I still love to go out, but I don't want to drink anymore.

I'm just wondering if any of you know of some people that go out without drinking alcohol?? And what kind of non-alcoholic beverage is good to drink when going out?? Just curious...Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 09:59 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
There are different virgin drinks as other posters have pointed out. Trouble is...you are just teasing yourself or setting yourself for drinking again. Getting sober is hard enough without temptation. But who wants to sit at home?? Your pretty new into your soberity so be very aware of those "triggers'. Sometimes it is difficult to be around others who are drinking alcohol when you are not and you are use to drinking. It's not easy! Good luck!!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:06 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Club soda please.........

Old 11-13-2007, 10:22 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,577 times
Quote:
I quit drinking about 18 days ago and I haven't went out since. But I'm thinking of going out again sometime next weekend. I still love to go out, but I don't want to drink anymore.

I'm just wondering if any of you know of some people that go out without drinking alcohol?? And what kind of non-alcoholic beverage is good to drink when going out?? Just curious...Thanks...

Maybe about fifteen years ago, drinking when we all went out was the "thing" to do among my peers and I.
Today, I don't have a taste for alcohol. I can't even say when I had a beer or anything alcoholic last...it has to be over fifteen years.
On New Years eve or any big celebration...you'll find me with my Sparkling Grape Juice toasting the festivities.
And my family is in the restaurant/pub business....go figure.
But what I've also noticed is we go through quite a bit of non-alcoholic mixed drinks as well.

There are frozen/blended non-alcoholic drinks that are tasty too!
I usually get an iced coffee (or two) when I go out...minus the "real" coffee liqueur.

Here's just one link of non-alcoholic drink recipes:
Mixed-Drink.com: Non-Alcoholic Frozen/Blended Drinks

Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
I don't drink, but I do go to sports bars to watch the game. I may order something like iced tea and wings. Everybody is usually cool with that and I am always available to drive for those who do drink.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:40 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I don't drink either...mostly I'll order soda or a water.
Sometimes a "virgin" drink.
Hubby orders a non-alcholic beer like Odouls or Busch NA.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:00 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:

I stopped drinking 11 months ago when I got sick of partying. It just felt empty and I hated the way alcohol made me feel. I have no trouble going to a bar or being around other people that drink. I usually order sparkling water with a slice of lemon. My friends still say to me, "So you're serious, you're not going to drink anymore?" I say, "Yeah, that's right."

Old 11-14-2007, 02:44 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
Why not have a Pellegrino water with a slice of lime?

I haven't had any alcoholic drinks in the last 20 months, and it's the best thing I ever did for myself, aside from quitting smoking.

Last month my boyfriend and I went to a small club to see a famous band play. It was funny (and shocking) to see how many people our age that got pretty hammered.

One woman was so drunk that she wanted to flash her chest at one of the more attractive band members! (He quit coming over to our side of the stage)

Other than that, I don't make it a point to visit bars (or walk down the wine and beer aisle at the grocery store).

Old 11-14-2007, 02:47 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Last month my boyfriend and I went to a small club to see a famous band play. It was funny (and shocking) to see how many people our age that got pretty hammered.
I agree. Since I stopped drinking, I notice it's just not pretty anymore watching grown ups get trashed. I don't spend much time in bars anymore.

greenie

Old 11-16-2007, 02:11 PM

19 posts, read 88,034 times
You can try a Cranberry Kiss, which has a touch of orange juice in it. I generally order "cranberry orange juice with a lime wedge--heavy on the cranberry." It's a more colorful variety of the Kiss. I'm a practicing Latter-Day Saint (which means alcohol is against my religion) so people are generally surprised to see me with such a deadly looking drink. After explaining the ingredients, I've had people flatter by ordering the same!

Yet, at the same time, I suggest that you genuinely consider whether or not you actually want to go to a bar at all. They're fun social scenes, but putting yourself into a lifestyle setting you're trying to avoid might bring more trouble than it's worth. There are a lot of other great things you can do with your time... Maybe find a good cafe in your neck of the woods. Some even have live entertainment at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages