U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 04:12 PM

724 posts, read 1,147,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
These have probably been said multiple times so I apologize.

Tito's is the best I've had in my limited experience with sampling vodkas.

I buy Svedka the most for the value. It's one of the only vodkas I can drink straight.

Sobieski is also very good, but it's $1-2 more than Svedka, so I always end up going with Svedka.
I would rather go without than drink Tito's. Something about it just makes me shiver and not in a good way.

How tastes differ, because on the other hand, thank-you for the recommendation of Svedka!

Sobieski is my go to. Grey Goose is my treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 06:09 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,283,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Refer to my post, page 1: #7. Yup: Luksusowa! A great tasting Polish potato Vodka. Smooth, refreshing and more than drinkable all on it's own. Given the subtle tastes of any vodka, it is important, if you wish to become educated on vodka, that you learn to drink it on it's own, only slightly chilled, not stored in your freezer. Yuck!
I agree!

Luksusowa is my personal favorite these days, not just because it's affordable, but to me it is so much smoother than other brands.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:11 PM

38,690 posts, read 88,962,971 times
Two new favorites: Petergoff and Ice Kube. A corner liquor store near here carries them both; otherwise they are frustratingly difficult to find. In fact I've never found either anywhere else but at this little corner liquor store.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:17 PM

3,064 posts, read 5,563,870 times
Ketel One is certainly delicious but kind of pricy.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:51 PM

2,720 posts, read 2,350,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
I would rather go without than drink Tito's. Something about it just makes me shiver and not in a good way.

How tastes differ, because on the other hand, thank-you for the recommendation of Svedka!

Sobieski is my go to. Grey Goose is my treat.
If you like Svedka, you should try Kru 82 a French vodka. It's currently my favorite vodka because it's the smoothest vodka I've had lately. They used to bottle it in a sports bottle for a gimmick to get people to notice it, and that always put me off, but I read on a review site that it's even milder than Svedka and it's around the same price. I gave it a try & I've been buying it ever since.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:09 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,209,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Some of my pre-retirement and now ex-business friends, a bunch of "hubritic" high-spending management types from a major but later bankrupted large American mega-automobile manufacturer rife with pathologically bad upper management... (Oh yeah, sorry! This is about vodka... I forgot..) were confirmed vodka drinkers.

Well, the relativity is that... they were very arrogant vodka drinkers who liked to spend the company's seemingly unlimited entertainment funds on high-end liquor: the $500/bottle single malts and $50 - $100 bottles of wine. And they always insisted on $85 Grey Goose or other art-bottled vodkas.

Meantime, I, living on a more rational income, tried a number of the so-called lesser vodkas, and found Luksusowa:

Luksusowa Flavors (http://www.luksusowa.net/whyluks2.htm - broken link)

... that amazing Polish potato-based vodka. It could easily command a price 3 times as much, because it's got a truly wonderful smoothness, a fine finish and a clarity that belies it's $18 - $20 price tag (here in WA St. that is... I wonder what it costs in a Las Vegas discount liquor store. Anyone?)

My ex-friends would not drink (or even try...!!!) it when I had a little party one summer evening at my SoCal home. They made fun of it, my "immature vodka pallet" and my proper sense of corporate hubris. Funny, huh?

Their loss. "And..." (he said, with a slightly vengeful tinge in his voice...) "...I hope they're enjoying their layoff status... and the facts that that they'll probably never afford Grey Goose ever again!"

Grey Goose is overrated. THEY are the ones with "immature vodka pallet" Many Polish and Ukrainian vodkas are so smooth and can be drank straight up.

Good they're ex-friends.

This weekend I'll try the one you recommend and report back on the price.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:58 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,677,125 times
Last weekend wife and I did an engagement at a Chinese restaurant for V-Day. We had a special menu featuring cocktails based on a couple of flavored vodkas - a lychee and a pear. Lychee isn't even available in PA w/o special order, so we just did the infusions ourselves using Sobieski ($11/750ml) as the base. Turned out fantastic.

I guess some people just don't want to bother with doing their own infusions, but there's recipes for just about everything you can think of out there, and you'll usually save $10 or so doing it yourself. You just need to wait a couple of days if you're using dried fruits or a month if you're using fresh.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:31 PM

18,575 posts, read 23,103,643 times
I like Sobieslki.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:03 AM

3,388 posts, read 5,722,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So what is it?

Any other recommendations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
if the above aren't available, I rely on Ketel One.
Another Ketel One lover here!

I also like Crystal Skull as well, not to mention the bottle is just COOL!

Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 PM

38,690 posts, read 88,962,971 times
It's fitting enough that they sell it in a skull bottle since it tastes like liquid death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages