U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:05 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,539,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's a LOT more common than you think, and it's a lot harder for a customer to detect than you think.
Think I was kidding? Hey, looky looky, a $500,000 fine, against just one company, TGI Fridays, in just one state, New Jersey, for doing exactly this. And there's another 16 firms in line behind them. There's big money at stake, so the temptation is huge.

Of course, the way they did it was massively illegal... refilling name brand bottles with cheaper booze is a violation of federal law. And that's why you will see bartenders in some states scratching off the state tax sticker as soon as a bottle goes empty, or breaking the bottles in others... requirements that are intended to inhibit refilling the bottles.

Of course there are more subtle ways to do it, and ways that are far harder to catch. It can be as simple as having a cheaper brand on the shelf next to the premium brand, and grabbing it "by mistake." And unless the order is for a straight neat shot, that's a hard one for the customer to detect, or for the authorities to prove. If it's a mixed drink with a strong flavored mixer, like a Bloody Mary, or if the customer has already had a drink or two, the switch is easy, especially if the bartender turns his back to the room and pours the booze on the backbar, where his body blocks the view.

I love the name of the sting... Operation Swill.

T.G.I. Friday's to pay $500,000 fine for passing off cheap liquor as the good stuff - NorthJersey.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:00 PM

584 posts, read 473,793 times
Grand Teton Distillery - Premium Idaho Potato Vodka

Old 08-05-2013, 11:15 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,340,097 times
Default That nifty Polish 'Whahd-kah'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
The one that's a real good potato distillate imported from Poland at a decent price is Luksusowa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So what is it? I prefer Polish Vodkas such as Chopin, Belvedere, Zubrowka, Sobieski, Wyborowa, Luksusowa and Ultimat. I believe that Vodka was born in Poland but that's for another thread. Just wondering if you sip your vodka with dinner and is there anyone out there that likes it straight up. Nowadays everyone is in love with these flavored vodkas.

I highly recommend Luksusowa Vodka. It is cheap vodka but everyone I have talked to says this is the best vodka they have had. People I know would rather spend 15 bucks for a bottle than spend 50 for Chopin.

Any other recommendations?
Refer to my post, page 1: #7. Yup: Luksusowa! A great tasting Polish potato Vodka. Smooth, refreshing and more than drinkable all on it's own. Given the subtle tastes of any vodka, it is important, if you wish to become educated on vodka, that you learn to drink it on it's own, only slightly chilled, not stored in your freezer. Yuck!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,680,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
The real Żubrówka is not allowed in the US but if in Europe a must try.
Å»ubrĆ³wka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Agreed. It's my favorite. I had a bottle I brought back from Bulgaria a few years ago that I nursed for a long time. Recently got a bottle of the "approved" US version (Zu) and it seems pretty dead on to me.

But for my regular daily vodka, I go with Sobieski. It's smooth, no alcohol "burn" and here in PA, a 750ml bottle is around $11.00. Pretty much all the vodka I consume is straight up.

Luksusowa and Moskovskaya are also excellent reasonably-priced vodkas.

Given the price difference between the above-mentioned vodkas and Tito's, et.al., I'll stick with the less expensive Euro brands, which, IMO, actually taste better to my palate.

My simple motto is: If it's in a fancy bottle, it ain't worth the price.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:51 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,818,955 times
I like Zyr and Belvedere.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:01 PM

14,499 posts, read 22,341,939 times
I don't usually drink Vodka, but when I do, I prefer Skol.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:01 PM

9,141 posts, read 7,169,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I tend to rate a vodka as good if I can drink it straight-up without mixing it with anything. Some vodkas I can only handle in a mixed drink.

I won't comment on regular vodka, because I think so much is individual taste, and it's hard for people to agree.

But,
If you like chocolate vodka, I just discovered 360 brand's Double Chocolate. It's delicious straight-up. Vodka 360 (http://www.vodka360.com/ageverify.ph...heck=index.php - broken link)

If you like coffee flavored vodka, Van Gogh's Double Espresso is great. Van Gogh Vodka - Creating a Masterpiece One Bottle at a Time

These are both moderately priced, and smooth enough to drink straight.
Are the flavored vodkas sweet?

I buy pineapple and coconut rums that are quite sweet - just pour 'em over ice and sip.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,179 times
Default I prefer Vista Vodka

Other European traditional vodkas that I would prefer are Morava Vodka, an ultra premium from Cal-Czech Distillery in California, and the Vista Vodka they just released. It won a gold metal for extraordinary taste last month, and I can see why. It has a nice smooth taste, and it is definitely one of the better vodkas.
Vista Vodka
Morava Vodka, Ultra premium Vodka

Old 08-23-2013, 09:46 PM

7,826 posts, read 19,512,910 times
Okay so I was ripped before for not having my wodka in the freezer and now some are telling me in the fridge will just do, well which is it?

Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 AM

257 posts, read 445,640 times
Effen or Tito's. And in regards to flavored vodka - no, just no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages