Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
I do not find Tweety Bird to be sexy. You need to drink some booze, lose your inhibitions and actually post a pic of your real self, put ya money where your over-worked mouth is.
Ha! Do you even KNOW how to have fun without the aid of alcohol?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,954 times
I have currently stopped drinking for about a month, don't feel that much better physically, haven't been a big drinker in the last 5 years - but just happier and more confident, and a more together.

I do think with alcohol one of the underestimated bad effects is mental health, concentration and memory - How can you concentrate well at work, learning new things, and have general mental sharpness - with a heavy hangover that can take days to go away, or even drinking a few beers everyday affects your sleep and memory.

I do think if your drinking 30 - 40 beers a week, or 5 bottles of wine or more a week - your sort of lowering your IQ on a temporary basis dealing with hangovers, mental fogginess, anxiety, not making the most of your brain, gaining a clear head and mental sharpness - and limiting yourself.

People who drink 4 or 5 times a week, or even get hammered a few nights in a row at weekends have bad memories, poor concentration, and are scatterbrained and careless - except its not really discussed in media, or health warnings etc.

I'd say there are a lot of regular drinkers out there, if they were honest with themselves don't really have clear head and suffer from a poor memory from regular drinking.

Would you like your doctor doing surgery on you, recovering from a hangover operating on you, or a mechanic fixing your breaks who is a little foggy from the night before.

However - I don't see the point in the all or nothing approach, of completely swearing off alcohol for the rest your life for a few benefits -

perhaps the best approach is just to drink moderately on vacation, and perhaps Christmas time, like twice a year - that way you can get drunk once in a while, and not suffer the mentally draining effects of alcohol use.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:57 PM

277 posts, read 519,051 times
Interesting question..... my father used to give me his leftover rheingold when I was about 10 or so .... we always had a small amount of brandy or vodka during the Christmas holiday even as small children (I think it was a cultural european thing) ...and when I turned 18 I would drink beer, whiskey or whatever was available once in a while. I stopped when my son was born (and while pregnant) in 1972 and didn't drink until my nephew's wedding in 2000 ... had two shots of vodka and ended up in the hospital (along with my older brother) ... they of course told me that I was an alcoholic ... even though I was on medication at the time and probably shouldn't have drunk anything. Didn't drink anything until my brothers death in 2008 when we had a bottle of wine with my brother and sisters. Haven't had anything since and have no need of it. Hate the smell and taste. In fact I can smell when someone has had alcohol and it's a big turnoff. (My son got a tip of a case of beer from one of his customers about 5 years ago - used 2 cans for fertilizer in my garden ... the rest is still sitting there ... will probably throw it out finally )

Last edited by ceg0720; 09-22-2012 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: included year

Old 06-13-2015, 05:49 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,454,891 times
I've never drunk alcohol in my life. I don't want to become addicted to it, I don't want to do something shameful in drunk state, and I don't want to have hangover. Plus, I can't stand the smell of beer.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I've abstained for the past six months due to pregnancy, with no problem at all. I enjoy beer, wine, whisky, some mixed drinks, but have always been a very occasional drinker.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:40 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,409 times
I'm 39 years old and I've never had alcohol.. I worry that I would like it too much and develop a problem like so many people I've witnessed, family members included.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:54 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
I've never drunk alcohol in my life. I don't want to become addicted to it, I don't want to do something shameful in drunk state, and I don't want to have hangover. Plus, I can't stand the smell of beer.
So beer is the only alcohol? And it's quite possible to enjoy a glass of wine or beer or cocktail and not do any of the things you mention.

And since you are so anti alcohol...why are you in this forum?

Old 06-13-2015, 10:57 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
I don't drink rubbing alcohol. Everything else is fair game though.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:25 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Nope. Alcohol is amazing and it's hard for me to imagine never having it. Moderation is key for sure, being drunk or hungover is awful and not at all worth it. May seem so in the moment but it really isn't. That being said I really appreciate great alcohol and enjoy it responsibly. Taking a break for six months was tough but not that tough honestly. I was so focused on my fitness and health goals I rarely thought of it because it was more important to be in great shape. That being said I was happy to enjoy again afterwards.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:10 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,454,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
So beer is the only alcohol?
I didn't say it. I just said that I don't like how the beer smells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
And since you are so anti alcohol...why are you in this forum?
The thread is about people who don't drink alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages