U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 03:12 AM

505 posts, read 456,890 times

Advertisements

Sangria is not a fixed recipe so you can basically add or delete whatever you want.
I am from Spain and I have prepared sangria many times. In Spain it is usually done for barbacues among friends but it is not so common to ask for it in a restaurant or bar.

The way I usually do it:

- Cheap red wine (Tempranillo or Garnacha grapes work best for authenticity, but frankly just take the cheapest red wine you can find) 1 unit
- Some multi-fruit concentrate juice 1/2 unit
- Some lemon soda like sprite or seven-up 1/2 unit

For the "unit" thing, I mean that 1 liter of wine corresponds to 1/2 liter of juice and 1/2 liter of lemon soda. If you want to do 1 gallon, then 1 gallon wine, 1/2 gallon juice, 1/2 gallon soda, etc.

- Fruits: it depends on the season and your taste. I like bananas, peaches, strawberries, apples. It works with pears and many other fruits as well. Maybe 3/4 pieces of fruit.
- Lots of ice
- A bit of sugar

Like that it is already ok, but if you want it to be stronger you can add a stronger alcoholic drink. It can be brandy, cognac, rhum, vodka, whisky, gin or a combination of any of those. I wouldn't abuse on the amount of liquor you pour because it will overpower the fruity natural flavour of the sangria very rapidly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 03:29 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,746,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
Sangria is not a fixed recipe so you can basically add or delete whatever you want.
I am from Spain and I have prepared sangria many times. In Spain it is usually done for barbacues among friends but it is not so common to ask for it in a restaurant or bar.

The way I usually do it:

- Cheap red wine (Tempranillo or Garnacha grapes work best for authenticity, but frankly just take the cheapest red wine you can find) 1 unit
- Some multi-fruit concentrate juice 1/2 unit
- Some lemon soda like sprite or seven-up 1/2 unit

For the "unit" thing, I mean that 1 liter of wine corresponds to 1/2 liter of juice and 1/2 liter of lemon soda. If you want to do 1 gallon, then 1 gallon wine, 1/2 gallon juice, 1/2 gallon soda, etc.

- Fruits: it depends on the season and your taste. I like bananas, peaches, strawberries, apples. It works with pears and many other fruits as well. Maybe 3/4 pieces of fruit.
- Lots of ice
- A bit of sugar

Like that it is already ok, but if you want it to be stronger you can add a stronger alcoholic drink. It can be brandy, cognac, rhum, vodka, whisky, gin or a combination of any of those. I wouldn't abuse on the amount of liquor you pour because it will overpower the fruity natural flavour of the sangria very rapidly.
^^^^Thanks for posting this, the last paragraph was what I was trying to emphasize...that you want the natural fruit flavors, not the strong taste of alcohol...otherwise, it's just a drunken booze punch.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:28 PM

10,543 posts, read 13,064,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Brandy is not cognac

English is the official language for City-Data.

BTW, did you mean "vino tinto", because litro tinto is meaningless...muy pretencioso.
Cognac is brandy. Moderator cut: Personal attack removed .

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-08-2015 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: English is the official language for City-Data.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:30 PM

10,543 posts, read 13,064,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Brandy is.
Exactly.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:42 PM

11,131 posts, read 10,948,945 times
Reminder: The only language approved for use at City-Data is English. Please comply.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:54 PM

9,475 posts, read 9,350,284 times
I think a jug wine from California is sufficient for a sangria base. Why use a high-quality and expensive wine when you are adding ingredients that will radically alter its flavor? I think the same principle applies to liquors used to make cocktails.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:42 PM

2,737 posts, read 2,983,909 times
We make it differently often but a starting point for a 4 person session party batch:

Mix:
  • red wine (or white) ~ 1.5 L
  • frozen orange juice concentrate ~ small can or more
  • Cinnamon ~ 1/2 - 1T
  • 7up or ginger ale ~ .75 - 1.5 L depending taste on how much you want to cut alcohol
  • brandy ~ 1/4 - 1/2 C
  • triple sec ~ 1/4 C
  • sugar to taste ~ 1 - 2 T or?
Mix and let it sit a bit...add some ice if you like...later add some fresh cut

Fruit:
  • sliced oranges, apples, maybe some lemon ...
  • some maraschino cherries in the glass (or the pitcher too if you prefer)
All ingredients are adjustable to taste

Fav wines are red and white from
https://www.renebarbierusa.com/wine-ratings-reviews.php

Old 07-10-2016, 11:52 AM

32,310 posts, read 59,612,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think a jug wine from California is sufficient for a sangria base. Why use a high-quality and expensive wine when you are adding ingredients that will radically alter its flavor? I think the same principle applies to liquors used to make cocktails.
Carlo Rossi Paisano. It's cheap, flavorful, and it's actually not that bad.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:14 PM

9,475 posts, read 9,350,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Carlo Rossi Paisano. It's cheap, flavorful, and it's actually not that bad.
That's the wine I usually buy.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:17 PM

13,327 posts, read 6,982,510 times
Sangria is awesome. One of my favorite drinks. Great for summertime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages