U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:00 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,586,567 times

Advertisements

If you're only drinking a glass a day, get the wine in the box. Those last for months on the counter, while open bottles of red wine will only last 3 or 4 days in the fridge before their fruit flavors start to fade & become astringent. See if you can find Seven Octavin by Bodegas Osborne. It's a red blend from Spain that comes in an 8-sided box & is fruity & ripe but still has that Spanish earthy quality that keeps it from becoming too tutti-fruity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,945,302 times
I do think everyone have a preference for different taste in wines due to their own eating/drinking habits... thus the best bet to find a wine one really likes is to go to wine tastings in your local vineyards to find that best fit & best availability.

Besides, when buying enough (say a case or two) and when one is a regular customer.... you can get great discount.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:04 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,456,308 times
If your doctor wants you to drink a glass of wine, you need a red wine. White wines and sweet blush wines (like "white zinfandel") don't have the same health benefits. The health benefits come from the antioxidants released during the maceration process in wine-making--and that only happens with red wines.

I'd suggest something that shows fruit and not a ton of oak, a Sangiovese/Chianti might work. They can usually be found with a $12 price tag. Travignoli Chianti Rufina might be a good place to start.

A pinot noir can be another choice, although ask your wine shop to suggest one without "funk." Adelsheim is a decent entry pinot at about $15 a bottle. The problem with pinot is that it's not cheap, and if it cheap, it's not particularly good.

A Spanish Garnacha is another good choice, the Del Fuego "Old Vines" is unoaked and juicy but not sweet. It's also only about $8 a bottle, and if you put it in the frdge after opening you can get about three days out of it.

You can also buy a product called Private Preserve and gas your wine. I gassed a bottle of red wine and tucked it away in the fridge. Came back a week later and thought there was no way it wouldn't have begun to oxidize, but it was actually drinking beautifully.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:57 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,579,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I didn't see where the OP mentioned it should be red wine, so, if the doctor didn't spacify I think I might start with a zinfendel.
Nita
If it were for cardiovascular health, it would not be white wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
A doctor recommending wine??? never heard of that.
Recommending wine with meal is a very normal practice. All cardiologists and almost all GPs do that.

When my husband had a heart attack seven years ago, his three cardiologists did not just recommend wine, but insisted that he have wine daily -- half a glass with each meal. Red only. We had at that time drunk wine routinely, but we eliminated white wine from my husband's diet after that.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:19 PM

15,732 posts, read 18,007,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
A nice red
Try Ménage à Trois
I'll second this. It's a good "beginner" wine in my opinion. The white is good too but probably not what you are after.

I tend to gravitate towards Merlo and Cabernet for reds.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:05 PM

12,504 posts, read 16,586,964 times
On January 1st of this year my wife and I opened a bottle of Llano Estacado blush for our 40th wedding anniversary. This Texas wine is not too dry and not too sweet and I think most could enjoy it.

Unless the import/export rules have changed, I don't believe you can get it in the U.S., but just about any Chilean wine rated with four stars used to be excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages