U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:53 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,805,077 times

Advertisements

Physician has recommended some daily wine. I have never liked the taste of wine. Now beer and vodka martini's are a different taste. Love both.
Please recommend a type wine and brand for someone seriously just starting to try wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 09:14 AM

4,470 posts, read 6,814,285 times
Depending on where you are: you might try going to different wineries and or find a wine tasting room and follow their tasting samples.
Are you looking for something dry, sweet, red, white, ports, sherry?
"Some daily wine"? Well that could be just about anything.
Me, I like a nice Merlot with some cheese/crackers or? White wines can be sweet or dry.

You don't have to spend a lot for a good wine. Some of the wines I have tried in the $5.00 to $8.00 range can be very good.

Also, go online and read about different wines etc.

Happy trails,

HW

Old 01-21-2012, 09:26 AM

40,113 posts, read 15,089,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Physician has recommended some daily wine. I have never liked the taste of wine. Now beer and vodka martini's are a different taste. Love both.
Please recommend a type wine and brand for someone seriously just starting to try wine.
My favorites are cabernet and merlot. And Shiraz. And pinot noir. And . . . well, you get the picture. Seriously, everyone's tastes are different, and your taste is likely to evolve once you become accustomed to drinking wine. It seems beginners prefer the less-dry wines. Perhaps you could try a rose for starters. Read labels and see how the bottlers describe the wines. The label should say whether it's dry, semi dry, semi sweet or sweet, good with food, etc. If the label says it's a good, basic table wine, it's probably not too dry and you might like that. I suggest starting out with a semi-dry. The sweeter wines may taste better to you as a beginner, but they don't have as many health benefits as the drier wines.

Choose red over white. Red has more health benefits. White is just non-beneficial calories.

I'm assuming your doctor recommends red wine, which is better for you than white. Avoid stuff like Arbor Mist, which is a blend of wine and other stuff like fruit flavorings, as it contains lots of sugar and other additives that I doubt your doctor would want you to consume. It has a lower alcoholic content than straight wine and doesn't have as many of the antioxidant properties that a drier red wine would have.

If there are any wineries in or near your area, go and taste several varieties. Tell the server that you're a beginner, and s/he can make some suggestions.

You could also call your doctor's office and ask for recommendations.

Good luck to you!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:05 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,086,848 times
I can't drink red wine. I think I might be a little allergic to it, plus it just tastes really strong to me.

I do like some of the sweeter wines - white zinfandel (Beringer or Turning Leaf are fine) and riesling. But I don't know that they would give you the same health benefits as the reds would.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:59 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,805,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
If there are any wineries in or near your area, go and taste several varieties. Tell the server that you're a beginner, and s/he can make some suggestions.

Great idea. We will do this! Thanks

Old 01-21-2012, 05:06 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,711,214 times
White zinfandel would probably be a good starting point, perhaps followed by a merlot. Wines vary greatly in taste, even in the same family, so you might want to go to a tasting and try several before you make a decision. I know Wine World has regular tastings, and smaller wine shops around the triangle do as well.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:16 PM

1,590 posts, read 2,541,876 times
Want a nice lighter red wine, also affordable, get either a bottle of bolla Valpolicella or bolla Bardolino. Both about $9-10 or so...nice flavor, and not strong. When you get serious, move up to Chianti Ruffino classico, and then a good Barolo, but the Barolo will run you at least $40-50 a bottle...

Friends dot let friends drink white Zinfandel lol

Old 01-21-2012, 07:13 PM

32,307 posts, read 59,491,616 times
Well, wine is a mood sort of thing and I'm occasionally in the mood for a good white zinfandel.

Honest to heaven, a good red wine for someone just starting out is Franzia Chillable Red in a box. It's not too oak-y or tart, and is very mellow. Plus you get plenty in the small box to share with friends, and it keeps in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 PM

160 posts, read 282,372 times
A nice one to start with is Cline zinfandel, but of course anything by Cline is good.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:42 PM

693 posts, read 773,081 times
A nice red
Try Ménage à Trois
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages