U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,878,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

Anyone have similar viewpoints?
nope

Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,645,424 times
Just talking to my hubby tonight about this subject. I don't like any of it. He was drinking a margarita. I tasted it and said it tastes rotten. Guess I have a gene that cannot become an alcoholic. I like pina coladas but if you put rum into it then it tastes like it has rotten fruit in it.

Beer is yucky and wine is usually too dry or too sweet. I don't need any of it, yuck.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:31 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,509,506 times
Wow, this is soooooo saaaaad...... Awwwww.........

Old 03-10-2012, 10:32 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,945,317 times
I can't really handle the taste. I have tried at least 7 different beers -- and hated all of them equally! One time I had an asthma attack from drinking grey goose vodka straight.

The only alcohol I can tolerate are ones that are mixed w/ juices like 'Bahama mama,' tequila sunrise,' etc.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:29 PM

30,228 posts, read 16,762,448 times
Count me in as one of those who can't stand the taste of alcoholic beverages. Not only do I dislike the taste, but I'm allergic to it. The effects aren't pleasant to deal with (face turns red, feel hot, throat feels like it's closing up). The positive thing about it is that I can never become an alcoholic.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:08 AM

114,161 posts, read 54,034,052 times
....it's likely an acquired taste for all or most of us who now drink it. It tastes like rubbing alcohol first time you try it. Usually peer pressure when you're younger gives you enough incentive to try it. You try it enough and you grow to like it. If you've managed to evade this habit why worry about it? To each his own . You are the better for it. No hangovers, no DWI's , save money.....

Old 03-11-2012, 01:39 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,953,868 times
Quote:
This thread does NOT speak to:
- religious observance
- righteousness

My cultural and religious upbringing definitely permit the consumption of alcohol, but I never acquired a taste for it. DEAD LAST on my list is beer.
To me, it doesn't taste good, I've actually unsuccessfully tried to find alcohol that I like, and, on top of that, it's expensive.

Hi Robert,

yes, I generally dislike it. Every blue moon, I'll have a drink. But for the most part, I do not like that way it tastes.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:11 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,981,620 times
I loathe alcohol. Never had a taste for it. Anything from wine to liqueur to beer. It all makes me feel a little sick, the smell alone usually makes me go "yuk". I have tried quite a few to see what it was like and nothing at all. I have yet to find an alcohol I can tolerate. I love it for cooking and in desserts ( well some) but that is it. I still try new alcohols once in a while as I am curious about all the different tastes but yet have to find one making me go "yummmmmmmmm delicious.... ". I like Bailey's Ice cream for example but Bailey's as a drink is disgusting.

I also do not like the way it turns people into caricatures of themselves and the way some people seem unable to have a life without it and judge me for being teetotaller. I have been asked so many times "what do you do if you don't drink?" . ?!?!?!?!?! I have a life, that's what I do ! I do not need booze to feel human , or to be interested in my surroundings.

Being French I should really have my Passport confiscated for not drinking nor liking wine. To me it just makes my head spin and the alcohol in all booze makes me physically shudder. Whiskey and Cognac actually make me gag simply by their smell.

I can't say I feel I am missing anything. I will force myself to have a sip in celebration occasionally if someone hands me champagne to be polite but I take no pleasure in it at all. Some booze is drinkable ( just) others are just simply horrid.

On the whole I do not feel deprived though, I much rather spend my money on yummy food, the theatre or the arts... It saves me a fortune !

Also being a bit of a control freak the idea of losing control is beyond me. I keep hearing about women who woke up next to a guy they did not remember and I cannot help thinking that booze really is most definitely not worth it.

I have nothing against people who drink per se, it is not a moral or religious stance, for me it is about flavour mostly but it certainly does seem taken to excess to render people utter bores and a little agressive often as obviously sexually incontinent which I find most unattractive.

Drinking with a meal , an appreciation of the tastes and flavours I can understand but people who get drunk puzzle me.
Especially in the Uk where binge drinking is such an issue. Who choses to go out and be sick or behave like baboons every week end on purpose ???

Old 03-11-2012, 04:53 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,224,188 times
There is really nothing that tastes quite as good as a sip from a Mason jar of white lightning whilst sitting in the back seat of her daddy's Cadillac alone with that 17 year old bombshell that one did not think he had a chance with . . .

Other than that, not so much.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:57 AM

71,717 posts, read 83,329,873 times
Quote:
This thread does NOT speak to:
- religious observance
- righteousness

My cultural and religious upbringing definitely permit the consumption of alcohol, but I never acquired a taste for it. DEAD LAST on my list is beer.
To me, it doesn't taste good, I've actually unsuccessfully tried to find alcohol that I like, and, on top of that, it's expensive.

I am not on your side, but there are many who are and that is why we have so many choices in our lives. We are a family that loves our drinks, but we have one granddaughter that thinks Dr Pepper should be the prefered drink before, during and after dinner. i love my wine particularly and a few other things, but you will only see me drink a beer if there is nothing else around and I am dieing of thirst, this goes for a few other alcohol beverage as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.