U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,255,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Wow, who is looking down on anyone here? I just haven't met many people in my life and I have lived a pretty long , that have absolutely never tastes alcohol in any form. That was my response, certainly I am not about to debate whether this is good or bad, nor would I look down my nose at anyone for what they do or do not eat or drink. BTW, I have had fried cockroaches.
If you thought I was being critical maybe you are reading something into my comments that were not meant?
Nita
Maybe I took your post as a little judgemental like, 'why the hell wouldn't you even try it, everyone else does' but maybe you were just stating what you observe, which is true, I know few people who have NEVER tried it.

Well you're a braver person than me. No way I'm gonna eat any fried cockroaches!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:48 AM

71,750 posts, read 83,387,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe I took your post as a little judgemental like, 'why the hell wouldn't you even try it, everyone else does' but maybe you were just stating what you observe, which is true, I know few people who have NEVER tried it.

Well you're a braver person than me. No way I'm gonna eat any fried cockroaches!
you eat them after you try booze in college...

All kidding aside, I didn't mean to insult or judge anyone. Maybe I was the one who worded it wrong. Yes, I do know a handful of people who have never tasted alcohol, they are older generation family members on my husbands side, and most of them are very religious. I honestly do not, personally know any person under 65 that has never even tasted it unless their religion does not allow drinking. This doesn't mean some people have not, it simply means there are very few and I am surprised when someone says they have never even tasted it.

I guess, I need to get out more.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:06 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,829,303 times
I'm at the other end of the spectrum.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,960,897 times
I rarely drink and only drink certain things: English Pale Ale, wheat beer, or blended scotch.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:55 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,551,770 times
Here's another thing. I never knew any alcoholics socially in California, but then, these were people I grew up with...and they never got into it....be it in HS, college, work life. They were also of Mediterranean/Hispanic stock which has the highest consumption of wine, with meals, but the lowest alcoholism rates.

Then, as an adult, I move to the PNW...and 2 of my friends turn out to be alcoholics. I heard stuff like (a) why don't you try it, (b) "I don't trust a person who doesn't drink," and (c) I would have to tell bartenders to STOP serving them, and my friends were p!$$ed. And these were people that were really funny and perceptive who turned into a moron and a belligerent jerk, respectively, after drinking.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:33 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,304,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This thread does NOT speak to:
- religious observance
- righteousness

My cultural and religious upbringing definitely permit the consumption of alcohol, but I never acquired a taste for it. DEAD LAST on my list is beer.
To me, it doesn't taste good, I've actually unsuccessfully tried to find alcohol that I like, and, on top of that, it's expensive.

Anyone have similar viewpoints?
I don't like it either.

My father growing up had a problem with alcohol, probably stemming from the traumatic experience he had with the death of his mother. He didn't come home raging drunk every day - in fact, for most of my childhood he was sober - but when he drank, he got really drunk, took out his vehicles, and inevitably got caught and charged with a DWI. Both of my parents could not stress enough the evil of "boozy". When they became more relaxed and encouraged me to have "a few beers" with the other kids who were partying at the end of the road, I said flat-out that they had been telling me of the evils of drink for all these years and that it had been instilled too deeply in me.

Also, alcohol tends to change a person's personality abruptly, if they drink enough of it. I wouldn't say I'm uncomfortable with change in general, but I often become very uncomfortable when people I know quickly "change" their way of acting. I can't think of this sort of change occurring in a person much quicker than when they get drunk (or even buzzed). However, needless to say, I love the euphoric effect Ambien (a drug which is prescribed to me and I don't take too much of) sometimes has on me, which loosens me up.

There are the associations of alcohol and what excessive drinking naturally leads to, drunkenness, which dissuade me from drinking. I despise personally (not just think is immoral, but vehemently despise) at least one thing that drunkenness is associated with, promiscuity.

Righteousness probably also enters into it as well, though not so much now as, say, five or six years ago, when my peers were experiencing newfound freedom and could not praise enough the wonders of alcohol and partying, and all that went with it, much of it stupidly named (keg stands, "wops", "pregaming", etc.). I stuck my nose up at them, though out of their view, at my computer at home, viewing the pictures of their drinking events, especially their Halloween parties and Keystone kegs, taken with digital cameras and not cellular phones, on Facebook, which was relatively new at that time. Now they are all moved on and if they drink at all, it's a "rare occurrence" OR they are into craft beers, brewing, etc. - not just drinking what ever gets them drunk the fastest for the cheapest price.

Finally, there's the taste, which I (for the most part) find repulsive. I know it's an acquired taste like sushi, which at first I found odd but later came to love. I'm guessing most people gagged at the taste of beer or cheap wine when they were 15 or 16 but soon came to love it, but I was just not too social outside of school in high school.

Last edited by tvdxer; 07-17-2012 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 04:34 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,607,989 times
Yes. I think alcohol in all its forms (wine, beer, vodka, liquor, you name it) taste awful. I don't understand why people like to drink something that tastes bad, makes them act stupid/use poor judgment, and is bad for their health (the "wine has antioxidants" argument can easily be rebutted by the fact that pomegranate juice does too).

I don't have any religious or cultural reasons not to drink. The only reason I don't drink is because I just think it tastes gross.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 PM

4,937 posts, read 5,233,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I don't have any religious or cultural reasons not to drink. The only reason I don't drink is because I just think it tastes gross.
My wife would definitely agree with you.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:29 AM

296 posts, read 537,098 times
Only in the mornings when I drank too much of it the night before, then I hate it!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:46 AM

21,143 posts, read 30,256,425 times
Through lifelong observation it appears that those who discovered an early affinity for sweet things (lots of sodas for instance) seemingly don't find anything with a taste of alcohol appealing. Perhaps there's a developmental taste bud issue with too many sweet items that stunts other taste buds from developing? The same demographic also tends to be "picky eaters" with strong dislikes for a lot of foods, whether they've tried them or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages