U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,165,977 times

Advertisements

Stumbler's thread made me think of something I always found sort of peculiar...

Maybe in North America it's different, but most of the women I know enjoy beer as much as men. I do know those who say 'I hate beer' or do not enjoy beer, but they seem to be of a certain type...I read some interesting articles on the internet.

Coors Puzzled Why Women Don't Like Their Beer

Why do men seem to prefer beer more than women?

I agree, it's about 'social conditioning.' Beer has always been considered a 'man's drink' because it was what men drank when they went to the pub to hang out with their mates. Whereas women, stereotypically, might chat over a glass of white wine or something. That's changing, though...I see as many women as men in most pubs these days (depending on the type of pub/bar of course) enjoying suds.

I doubt there's any difference in tastebuds between the gender. As the article says women also like plenty of bitter foods like dark chocolate etc.

Which leads me to chocolate. While most people love chocolate, I've heard it said that 'women love chocolate' although that seems peculiar, of course most do, but I don't think anymore than men do. At least not in my experience. Like in movies when a breakup happens the women is often portrayed sitting TV with a box of tissues and a box of chocolates.

It's as if women are seen as only liking 'sweet' or 'pretty' things, like how little girls like barbie dolls and little boys like toy cars or firetrucks or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 PM

36,466 posts, read 41,651,387 times
I love beer. Chocolate, I will take or leave...usually leave, unless it's really fancy, fine chocolate.My SO, however...well, no chocolate is safe around him. Even cheap crap chocolate.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 PM

It's interesting, though...I briefly dated a guy who, while American, was coming off a multi-year stint in Australia with the US Air Force (stationed at Woomera). We met for drinks, and he thought it was charming and noteworthy that I was "a girl who loves beer.". To him, it was really unusual..he remarked upon it several times...I guess I assumed his time in Australia was the culprit, but maybe not, after all.

I can say, however, that Coors sucks. I like beer that tastes like beer...not vaguely hop-scented water.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM

I wonder if anyone is like me...they have a dislike towards sweet alcoholic drinks? Like I find a lot of wines too sweet, even champagne, port.etc that sort of thing. I do love apple cider, though, but I feel it's because I can find grapes, let alone fermented grapes, sickeningly sweet.

I generally do not care too much for 'mixed drinks' or 'alco-pops' or cola mixes, but I do go for cocktails if there's a decent amount of actual fruit juice in them and not a lot of syrup.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's interesting, though...I briefly dated a guy who, while American, was coming off a multi-year stint in Australia with the US Air Force (stationed at Woomera). We met for drinks, and he thought it was charming and noteworthy that I was "a girl who loves beer.". To him, it was really unusual..he remarked upon it several times...I guess I assumed his time in Australia was the culprit, but maybe not, after all.

I can say, however, that Coors sucks. I like beer that tastes like beer...not vaguely hop-scented water.
I'd say it's almost 50/50 as to whether a gal likes beer or not. Interestingly, this isn't scientific, but I notice the more stereotypically 'girly girls' are much more likely to say no to beer, while those who 'hang with the boys' often say they enjoy beer. So I think it's obviously a social phenomenon.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 PM

I don't like most sweet alcoholic drinks. Bailey's is the exception, but even that is only a small bit at a time. I really don't like most cocktails, period, because I don't care for most hard liquor. For wine, it just depends, but it can't be overly sweet. Beer is just most refreshing to me.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:06 PM

2,762 posts, read 4,344,428 times
I'm puzzled why anyone would like Coors.

I've known plenty of women who like beer, and plenty of men who don't (or drink cheap watery beer, which to me doesn't really count as "liking beer") One of my best female friends makes a point of visiting as many breweries as possible whenever she travels. Another brews beer along with her boyfriend. In my house I'm the one who brews beer and has gotten my boyfriend to start drinking a wider variety of quality beer. Now if I can only get him to drink out of a glass! One thing I have noticed is that the men I know tend to like hoppier beers, and the women tend to prefer maltier or more well-balanced styles. That certainly not true across the board, but it does seem to be a trend.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 PM

Also, I'm not super fluffy, pink, manicures and massages girly (nor am
I butch or a tomboy or one of the guys). It's not like guys in my family socially conditioned me to like beer...my dad doesn't drink beer at all (child of an alcoholic who's drink of choice was beer, so he has that aversion), and one of my brothers is a teetotaler. The other bro likes beer, but as he is younger than I, I wouldn't consider him a developmental influence.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I'm puzzled why anyone would like Coors.
This is what I'm saying.

Quote:
I've known plenty of women who like beer, and plenty of men who don't (or drink cheap watery beer, which to me doesn't really count as "liking beer") One of my best female friends makes a point of visiting as many breweries as possible whenever she travels. Another brews beer along with her boyfriend. In my house I'm the one who brews beer and has gotten my boyfriend to start drinking quality beer. Now if I can only get him to drink out of a glass! I have noticed that the men I know tend to like hoppier beers, and the women tend to prefer maltier or more well-balanced styles.
I personally love stouts and porters, which my BF steers clear of.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:19 PM

2,762 posts, read 4,344,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I personally love stouts and porters, which my BF steers clear of.
Yeah, same here! He loves pale ales and IPAs. I like a little of everything (it's not unusual for me to have 20+ different beers in the house at once), but especially big malty styles like dopplebocks and dunkelweizens, which he can't stand. Oddly enough, he does like fruity beers more than I do, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages