Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
From my experience it is the location, availability and beliefs.

Where I live in TN, I don't know anyone who drinks even socially. I am also in a dry county.

When I visit friends in FL, all of them drink socially and sometimes more.

I also come from a family of non drinkers. I'm not sure why but that's just the way it is.
That's funny. Despite it's conservatism I actually think of the South as a drinking culture, both Jack Daniels and Jim Beam come from the south, Southern comfort - maybe not as big on their beers. And there's moonshine of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's funny. Despite it's conservatism I actually think of the South as a drinking culture, both Jack Daniels and Jim Beam come from the south, Southern comfort - maybe not as big on their beers. And there's moonshine of course.
Maybe that's part of it. When things are more forbidden, restrained etc., they become more appealing.

Haven't spent enough time in the South to comment though.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

And what is ironic is that Jack Daniels is produced in .... a dry county.

Is there a Southern culture? Of course, but it is not as homogeneous as most people would think. Each area has quite different cultural and social characteristics.

Some social circles in the South do drink, others do not.

As for dry counties, there is NO PLACE in the South where people do not drink. People in dry counties jump in their car and bring a few cases of beer and other alcohol from the nearest "non-dry" county.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,095 times
I moved from Ohio to Utah. There are a lot of people here who have never had alcohol for religious reasons. I have plenty of friends who do drink, and plenty who don't. Some do choose not to be at gatherings where it's going to be, basically a party with many people drinking. Others don't care and come hang out with friends. All are acceptable.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
That thread on disliking alcohol leads me to this curious question. I'm sure there are stats but I'd be curious to know about perceptions in most common social circles (there might be social circles that don't drink completely but are restricted to smaller religious communities).

Maybe it's just me, but I almost rarely encounter anyone in my generation (maybe some immigrants who are Muslims but even so, I know some who say they are and still do it! ) who doesn't drink, period, probably because of my age; most 20-30 year olds drink to party. The population of people, in a country like the US, probably makes up a sizable majority and likewise in Canada, Australia, the UK and most of the west.

I'm interested in the general trends as well across the regions of the United States. Do some areas drink more than others? Though even if you're not American, it'd be interesting to get an answer too, for roughly in your social circle or region etc.

The population of people who don't really drink though aren't going to be the same as the population of people who don't like alcoholic drinks (because some people do drink, but do it for social reasons but wouldn't otherwise and some non-drinkers might like to do so, but abstain for health or moral reasons).

I'd be interested if there were even any stats on % of folks who drink only socially but wouldn't otherwise (but that's really hard to get).
wow, that is a really tough one: I am just guessing, off the top of my head, considering a few religions that absolutely allow no alcohol like Muslims, Mormons, Hindu (I think) the strictest southern Baptist and I am sure a few others I would guess, within America maybe 20%.

I ageww with Timac: Even with all the Bible Thumpers in the south, I think of it as a part of the country where a lot of people enjoy a lot of booze...Where did moomshine start and I wonder how many people realize how much is still produced? It is funny Jack Daniels is located in a dry area.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
I drink & DH is a drinker as well... social drinker never abused or anything...

That said, actually more than half of the people I know don't drink or drink much.
That half is made up of mostly females in my family... do not drink or don't drink much.
Then some (like 25%) males in my family, do not drink or don't drink much...
Thus more than half of the people I know fits the category.

Ironically... even for those who rarely drinks, most every member in the family house has a stocked bar in it.
Guess it is cultural???

Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
You left out one catagory. There are also "culinary drinkers". Those that will pair a good glass of wine, or an appropriate craft beer with their meal. Most of the time, that is me. I drink socially some, and rarely drink to get drunk (although you wouldn't know it if you saw me last night....).

I think that in my circles, if you count the adults who DO NOT drink at ALL, it would be a very low number. Less than five percent. But I know very few people who drink hard on a regular basis.

Here in the South, especially in smaller communities, there are plenty of people who claim not to drink, but maybe they make their own wine, or get some shine, or whatever, and they just keep to themselves. I've recently moved from a very rural setting to the city, and I don't see much of that anymore, but it certainly was the case where I am/was (NC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages