U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-31-2017, 06:45 AM
 
Location: The South, by the grace of God
957 posts, read 1,306,937 times
Reputation: 427

Advertisements

thank you for your advice. We seem to have come up with that deduction along the way, but its nice to have our suspicion confirmed.


Being in the industry, you probably don't need outside resources to get your information, but can you recommend a resource for beginners? I'm sure that practice and patience are two important components in learning Bourbon, but since we can only occasionally get to Kentucky to actually talk to the distillers, I have to rely on other sources for information like release dates and mashbills and quality assessments. So much marketing hype is included in magazines etc, its hard for a beginner to filter the fact from the fiction.....is there a place to go and find the real stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2017, 08:37 AM
 
35,332 posts, read 24,925,043 times
Reputation: 32361
Anyone try Snow phoenix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 09:39 AM
 
79 posts, read 61,642 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
thank you for your advice. We seem to have come up with that deduction along the way, but its nice to have our suspicion confirmed.


Being in the industry, you probably don't need outside resources to get your information, but can you recommend a resource for beginners? I'm sure that practice and patience are two important components in learning Bourbon, but since we can only occasionally get to Kentucky to actually talk to the distillers, I have to rely on other sources for information like release dates and mashbills and quality assessments. So much marketing hype is included in magazines etc, its hard for a beginner to filter the fact from the fiction.....is there a place to go and find the real stories?
Glad to help. There are lots of good sites and publications. The Whisky Advocate has good articles and is relatively inexpensive. Chuck Cowdery has a free blog that has good information, plus he has a quarterly publication and has authored many books. The Bourbon Truth blog tells it like it is and there is lots of good information shared by people on the Straightbourbon.com website. My advice to people who are late to the bourbon game is to take your time and not buy the bourbons you hear so much about on the secondary market at outrageous prices. Learn to enjoy all the good, low-priced bourbon still out there. Bourbon has been on a heck of a run, but less than 10 years ago you could walk into stores all across the country and snap up Pappy from the shelf. The boom and bust cycle in bourbon is not unlike that in the economy, stocks or housing. I don't know if it is at its peak today, but as the saying goes " if not, you can see it from here."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 12:39 PM
 
Location: The South, by the grace of God
957 posts, read 1,306,937 times
Reputation: 427
We've been pretty careful about jumping onto the hyped-up products so we've only bought those that came with trusted recommendations or we were able to taste as part of a flight somewhere or at a friend's home. We are getting better at locating the solid, low-priced products that we can consume on a regular basis without needing an iron lung for the wallet, but we do dearly love Elmer T. and we didn't know how hard it is to come by until we went back to replace the nearly consumed first bottle --- we still haven't found a replacement in the 8 months or so since we got that one. And we've looked in 5 states.....
Thanks very much for the resource list. I will play with those for a while, I'm sure.


to get back on track of the thread....
the Blood Oath story seems to have taken a big leap with this new release- I would have been interested to try either of the first iterations based on what I've read about them, but this new one just sounds yucky to me. But the packaging and the story are impressive marketing, for sure.


To timberline-
No, I've not tried snow phoenix. I've never heard of it. What's the story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 03:01 PM
 
79 posts, read 61,642 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
We've been pretty careful about jumping onto the hyped-up products so we've only bought those that came with trusted recommendations or we were able to taste as part of a flight somewhere or at a friend's home. We are getting better at locating the solid, low-priced products that we can consume on a regular basis without needing an iron lung for the wallet, but we do dearly love Elmer T. and we didn't know how hard it is to come by until we went back to replace the nearly consumed first bottle --- we still haven't found a replacement in the 8 months or so since we got that one. And we've looked in 5 states.....
Thanks very much for the resource list. I will play with those for a while, I'm sure.


to get back on track of the thread....
the Blood Oath story seems to have taken a big leap with this new release- I would have been interested to try either of the first iterations based on what I've read about them, but this new one just sounds yucky to me. But the packaging and the story are impressive marketing, for sure.


To timberline-
No, I've not tried snow phoenix. I've never heard of it. What's the story?
Where are you located, busydesk, if you don't mind my asking? I have found more good bourbons in the North than I ever found in KY, just because everyone in KY has a high bourbon IQ and knows what to buy. Not so much in NY state, though even there things have dried up noticeably. The PA LCB used to have ETL in virtually every store, but that has ceased also. I have been fortunate to luck into quite a bit of ETL in my lifetime and I agree that it is a really fine pour. As for Snow Phoenix, the only one I know is a scotch, and I am not a scotch drinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 03:45 PM
 
9,224 posts, read 6,164,588 times
Reputation: 17323
Default One bourbon, one Scotch, one tequila

https://boingboing.net/2017/05/31/no-gin.html

I never acquired a taste for Scotch and one tequila bender in the early 80 where I couldn't feel my lips or nose was one too many (One of the three times I have ever been knock down drunk---Never again)

But, the Jefferson's Reserve Pritchard Hill Cabernet Cask Finished is interesting. It is very good. I'm not sure, being a purist, that it wouldn't be better without the Cabernet Cask finish.

The blogger is right, Jefferson has released several gimmicky bourbons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 04:28 PM
 
9,224 posts, read 6,164,588 times
Reputation: 17323
Default Milestones of the Bourbon Boom: A Decade of Whiskey Greatness

This is an excellent Blog and Chuck Cowdery is one of, if not the best expert on bourbon

This kinda gives you an idea as to why prices are on the rise. From nothing to boom in a little more than 10 years

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-s...key-greatness/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2017, 01:06 PM
 
35,332 posts, read 24,925,043 times
Reputation: 32361
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
To timberline-
No, I've not tried snow phoenix. I've never heard of it. What's the story?


The Forecast for Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix: Red Hot and Rare - Thirsty in LA


"In January 2010, after weeks of heavy snowfall and record low temperatures, several warehouse roofs at the Glenfiddich distillery collapsed under the weight of four feet of snow. Bechard noted that Glenfiddich wasn’t the only distillery that sustained damage that winter; the Press & Journal reported that the roofs of twenty-one Chivas Regal warehouses collapsed because of heavy snow.


With hundreds of maturing casks of Glenfiddich exposed to the unforgiving winter weather, Glenfiddich Malt Master Brian Kinsman assessed the situation and found inspiration. Kinsman selected casks of different ages and finishes (including Oloroso sherry and American oak) to create a non-aged single malt whisky. The Snow Phoenix has not been chill-filtered and is bottled at 47.6% ABV. Unlike its namesake, the Snow Phoenix will not rise again; the distillery has hopefully ensured that the circumstances that led to the Snow Phoenix’s creation won’t be repeated."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2017, 05:24 PM
 
79 posts, read 61,642 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The Forecast for Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix: Red Hot and Rare - Thirsty in LA


"In January 2010, after weeks of heavy snowfall and record low temperatures, several warehouse roofs at the Glenfiddich distillery collapsed under the weight of four feet of snow. Bechard noted that Glenfiddich wasn’t the only distillery that sustained damage that winter; the Press & Journal reported that the roofs of twenty-one Chivas Regal warehouses collapsed because of heavy snow.


With hundreds of maturing casks of Glenfiddich exposed to the unforgiving winter weather, Glenfiddich Malt Master Brian Kinsman assessed the situation and found inspiration. Kinsman selected casks of different ages and finishes (including Oloroso sherry and American oak) to create a non-aged single malt whisky. The Snow Phoenix has not been chill-filtered and is bottled at 47.6% ABV. Unlike its namesake, the Snow Phoenix will not rise again; the distillery has hopefully ensured that the circumstances that led to the Snow Phoenix’s creation won’t be repeated."
As I said in a previous post, I am not a scotch drinker, but the information you provided intrigues me. Some of the best bourbon I have ever had was the result of a tornado hitting a rickhouse and blowing off the roof, damaging the walls, and exposing the bourbon barrels to the elements for many months. That was at Buffalo Trace's Warehouse C . The resulting product was bottled as Col. EH Taylor Jr. Warehouse C Tornado Surviving. It, too, was a one-off bottling, never to be duplicated. You might want to give the Snow Phoenix a try. There are a lot of people who wished they had bought the Tornado Surviving when it was readily available as it turned out to be both excellent and unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 06:14 PM
 
9,224 posts, read 6,164,588 times
Reputation: 17323
Default Born in the USA: Restaurants and bars rediscover bourbon

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ant/102378420/

MrsM and I have been to four of these restaurants. If the rest are as good, they all have to be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top