Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
It is too bad. But it's not exactly an insignificant amount though since its almost a 7% reduction in alcoholic strength. And more alcohol equals more flavor.
Not exactly. Ethanol has almost no taste, and what taste there is does not occur for most people as pleasant. The most desirable flavor elements in bourbon are mostly everything else besides the alcohol. And all of those are being reduced by only 3% of the overall beverage content.

I've met and talked to the the Samuels on several occasion, and I believe them when they say the slightly thinner cut cannot be distinguished by taste. Remember, Bill Samuels originally just picked 90 proof kind of at random when he started the enterprise, maybe a little bit to stand out from all the 80 proof standard brands. On a taste basis, he said, they were all good.

It's also worth noting that by industry figures it only costs about $1.40 to manufacture a gallon of vodka, which is not much different from a gallon of unaged "white dog," so I don't see this change as being driven by price... just what they said, that the demand currently exceeds the supply, due to changing taste trends... and that they can't just flip a switch and have more to sell when it takes about 6 1/2 years for the product to come to market.

As for all the people who are foaming at the mouth and saying they'll never buy Maker's Mark again, I say Good! All the more for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 06:05 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
I prefer 80 proof bourbons and whiskies to 100 proofs. I think it's because I was raised on light beer and I just drink too fast. But this might not be a big deal. It's just "why do you have to change a molecule on my favorite thing" territory.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Not exactly. Ethanol has almost no taste, and what taste there is does not occur for most people as pleasant. The most desirable flavor elements in bourbon are mostly everything else besides the alcohol. And all of those are being reduced by only 3% of the overall beverage content.

I've met and talked to the the Samuels on several occasion, and I believe them when they say the slightly thinner cut cannot be distinguished by taste. Remember, Bill Samuels originally just picked 90 proof kind of at random when he started the enterprise, maybe a little bit to stand out from all the 80 proof standard brands. On a taste basis, he said, they were all good.

It's also worth noting that by industry figures it only costs about $1.40 to manufacture a gallon of vodka, which is not much different from a gallon of unaged "white dog," so I don't see this change as being driven by price... just what they said, that the demand currently exceeds the supply, due to changing taste trends... and that they can't just flip a switch and have more to sell when it takes about 6 1/2 years for the product to come to market.

As for all the people who are foaming at the mouth and saying they'll never buy Maker's Mark again, I say Good! All the more for us!
That may be true but, as you know, most whiskies are cut with water when they are bottled to begin with. So unless you get a cask strength version you are getting a product that is diluted. As such, all cask strength whiskies, which are usually around 60% abv, are much more flavorful and potent then there diluted counter parts. After all, water doesn't provide much flavor to a whiskey (although it can open up a whiskey when drinking).

So now instead of diluting it down to 45% abv they are going to water it down even further to 42%. Obviously that additional water can only dilute the flavor more. Whether it will be significant enough that most people will know, probably not since most people mix or drink it on the rocks instead of neat anyways. The Whiskey Advocate blog has a good article about it. It's a few posts down:

http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/

You're right though that Makers can't just pump out more product since it take 6 or so years to age the bourbon. Still, I'm a little surprised they were got off guard by the demand since Makers Mark has been growing quite steadily for years and years now. I read that they had plans to increase production by 50% several years back but just decided to stay the course instead. I bet they wish they had followed through on that now.

Either way it's not much of a problem with me. Maker's Mark use to be a favorite whiskey of mine, I even went to visit their lovely distillery in Loretto, but now I am more interested in scotches and other bourbons. I still enjoy its even balanced smooth flavor but it doesn't quite excite me like it use to. Still good stuff and probably the most distinctive bottle on the market to boot.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 02-13-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Surprise, surprise! Today Maker's Mark announced a reversal of their decision to reduce the proof of their bourbon. It will stay at 90 proof in the US.

They pointed to customer input as changing their minds. There was an immediate and vigorous protest started, and surveys showed that customers would prefer to put up with occasional shortages than to change the product.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:35 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Surprise, surprise! Today Maker's Mark announced a reversal of their decision to reduce the proof of their bourbon. It will stay at 90 proof in the US.

They pointed to customer input as changing their minds. There was an immediate and vigorous protest started, and surveys showed that customers would prefer to put up with occasional shortages than to change the product.

Ok Costco run on the agenda for today.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:04 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Crisis averted.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Crisis averted.
Price increase and faux shortages to follow.

I made good and went to Costco and picked up 6 1.75 liters to avoid any price spikes. That'll last a few years.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

I made good and went to Costco and picked up 6 1.75 liters to avoid any price spikes. That'll last a few years.
So you're saying you avoided the shortages by personally causing a shortage? Hmmmmm

Reminds me, I've got to find out when my barrel is due to be bottled. That will be fun.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Cool. It makes more sense this way. People don't like to be messed with their iconic brands.

Does anyone know if they released any of the 42% ABV? I think it would be an interesting collectible to have.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

The shortages will probably be real if there aren't price increases. The demand from Japan/Hipster America is so high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages