Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 09:47 PM

17,536 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a whiskey distilling family. Their distillery is still one of the biggest and best.

I know quite a bit about fine bourbons and own many of them. What I am not, is a whiskey snob.

Each bourbon has it's own place and many inexpensive bourbons taste as good or better than the most expensive.

I won't bore you with what I know

I'll just let the expert's answer for me, https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-s...sarily-better/

Enjoy your bunker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 PM

Default Older Bourbon Isn’t Necessarily Better

Friends, don't get sucked into the old is better camp. Good bourbon does not have to cost you a high premium in the after-market or an arm and a leg like the new Old Rip Van Winkle.

Yes, I have some overpriced bourbons like 23 year old Evan Williams, and others, that were given to me. Yes, every one of them is excellent, but I enjoy, and own, most of the bourbons on the following link (As well as many much less expensive whiskeys).

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-s...sarily-better/

We are living in an era of overpriced whiskeys driven for the most part by the Japanese market and hedge fund snobs with too much money who couldn't taste the difference between vanilla, oak or other flavors or finish

I was at a meeting with Jimmy Russell where he laughed at the idea of multi hundred dollar long aged bourbons. He said great bourbon does not have to be expensive

Drink what you like and what you can afford. IMHO, Bulleit orange label is the best low cost bourbon on the market. And, the 10 year old Bulleit is even better and it is + \ _ $50.00! A great bourbon at a fair price.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:49 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Right! Bourbon isn't Scotch, and when it comes to age, the bourbon sweet spot is lower than you think. If bourbon spends too much time in the barrel, it will often take on an unpleasant, woody taste that makes it undrinkable.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:13 PM

85 posts, read 91,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I should have said Pappy Van Winkle was the Master Distiller at Weller. Weller has the same mash bill as Pappys
Here you go again spreading lies. Pappy Sr., who all of this springs from, was not a distiller and certainly not the Master Distiller at Weller. I don't believe Weller even had a distillery during his lifetime, but I am sure he never distilled any bourbon. He was a salesman for Weller and his company bought all of their bourbon from other distillers. If you are going to try to pose as a knowledgeable person, at least do some small amount of research.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burghguy1111 View Post
Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted.
Moderator cut: Reference deleted.

So, you do know a little about bourbon, Old GrandDad 114 is great.

You are wrong about Bulleit

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-23-2017 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: Quoted post removed, necessitating edit

Old 05-22-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Moderator cut: Comment removed.

So, you do know a little about bourbon, Old GrandDad 114 is great.

You are wrong about Bulleit
If you only knew who I am you would be embarrassed by that post. Bulleit is a good mixer but is swill otherwise no matter who is making it for them now. And that is their problem. As a non-distiller (or NPE as we call them in the industry) they have limited control over their product. When Four Roses made it for them it was average swill. Not so today. But please drink it all up. Save the rest of us from having to encounter it in the wild. Oh and if you are looking for a good 10 year, look no further than Russell Reserve 10 yr. Good stuff, good price. Moderator cut: Comment removed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-23-2017 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: Comment removed.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:55 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,726 times
Quote:
If you only knew who I am you would be embarrassed by that post. Bulleit is a good mixer but is swill otherwise no matter who is making it for them now. And that is their problem. As a non-distiller (or NPE as we call them in the industry) they have limited control over their product. When Four Roses made it for them it was average swill. Not so today. But please drink it all up. Save the rest of us from having to encounter it in the wild. Oh and if you are looking for a good 10 year, look no further than Russell Reserve 10 yr. Good stuff, good price. Moderator cut: Comment removed.
The Bulleit 10 year is still distilled by 4 roses correct? I personally find it very good.

Their regular bourbon not so much.

The Bulleit Rye is decent.

And yes, I love Russell Reserve 10 year. It's one of the most underrated bourbons out there. You don't happen to be one of the Russell boys are you?!?!

Also, it's so hard to find so many bourbons in AZ. Weller is a VERY hard to find bourbon. A very rare sight to find on a shelf unless you know someone. Sad.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
The Bulleit 10 year is still distilled by 4 roses correct? I personally find it very good.

Their regular bourbon not so much.

The Bulleit Rye is decent.

And yes, I love Russell Reserve 10 year. It's one of the most underrated bourbons out there. You don't happen to be one of the Russell boys are you?!?!

Also, it's so hard to find so many bourbons in AZ. Weller is a VERY hard to find bourbon. A very rare sight to find on a shelf unless you know someone. Sad.
To the best of my knowledge, Bulleit has never said who makes their bourbon, although people in the industry know it was made by Four Roses in Lawrenceburg. That stopped several years ago. The 10 yr may be left over Four Roses juice, but that is unclear. To me the 10 yr is decent but way overpriced. Until Elijah Craig went no age statement, you could buy their 12 yr for around $20. Henry McKenna 10 is damn fine bourbon and it sells for well under $30. Even Weller 12 yr, which is still available in Texas but scarce elsewhere, sells for around $30. Why pay $50 for a bourbon that has a questionable heritage. Plenty of great bourbon under $30. As to my heritage, you are in the ballpark. My daughter went to ASU so I know Phoenix was a bourbon wasteland. You have my condolences. Bulleit Rye is made by MPG in Indiana, but so are most of the current ryes out there. MPG makes a LOT of product sold under someone else's label.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:43 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,726 times
Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, Bulleit has never said who makes their bourbon, although people in the industry know it was made by Four Roses in Lawrenceburg. That stopped several years ago. The 10 yr may be left over Four Roses juice, but that is unclear. To me the 10 yr is decent but way overpriced. Until Elijah Craig went no age statement, you could buy their 12 yr for around $20. Henry McKenna 10 is damn fine bourbon and it sells for well under $30. Even Weller 12 yr, which is still available in Texas but scarce elsewhere, sells for around $30. Why pay $50 for a bourbon that has a questionable heritage. Plenty of great bourbon under $30. As to my heritage, you are in the ballpark. My daughter went to ASU so I know Phoenix was a bourbon wasteland. You have my condolences. Bulleit Rye is made by MPG in Indiana, but so are most of the current ryes out there. MPG makes a LOT of product sold under someone else's label.
Thanks for the information. Good to know on everything. I just started getting into bourbon a few years ago. Still learning so much and it's hard finding most of what people discuss on bourbon sites/forums as here in Phoenix you have to go out out and pay through the nose for a pour of something.

Even though EC stopped their age statement, it's still pretty decent and at least easy to find here. I would say my two favorite easy to find bourbons here are 4 roses single barrel and Russell's Reserve 10. Eagle Rare is probably up that list but not always available either.

I am taking a trip to California in a few weeks and plan to buy some bourbon goodies since I can't find much here. Top recommendations I should search for under $60?

Old 05-26-2017, 07:56 AM

Look for Old Bardstown black label or estate bottled, Johnny Drum private stock, any Old GrandDad other than the 86 proof, 1792, Henry McKenna, Heaven Hill BIB white label, Knob Creek, Basil Hayden, Beam Black, Medley Brothers, Old Fitz BIB, Wathens, Evan Williams single barrel and Larceny. If you see any Rock Hill Farms or Elmer T Lee, grab it. The EC barrel proof is also very good. Any of the Four Roses are good ( yellow label, small batch and single barrel). A personal favorite is the Old Forester 1920, and it sells for $60 or less at most places. The Col. E H Taylor small batch is also good. Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages