U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:16 PM

3,102 posts, read 2,165,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
what's in a cape cod??? I actually like 7-up or sprite mixed with vodka over ice
Cranberry juice and vodka. I like to add a slice of lime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:19 PM

2,153 posts, read 1,310,543 times
^^That's my husband drink of choice these days too. You never hear it called that here though. It's just "vodka cranberry please".

Old 06-26-2012, 05:57 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,728,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
The one you like better. Game I've played as a bartender: most people cannot pick out "their" brand of vodka in a blind taste test, unless it was one of those bison grass vodkas from Poland. (Other people fared slightly better with their bourbon and many better with their scotch). But people do love their brands (me included).
Nailed it on the vodka. I can't tell much diff between Grey Goose, Smirnoff, or Finlandia. I thnk Smirnoff is a touch sweeter than the other two. I probably could tell if it was Popov, on the first couple of shots. Popov is freaking nasty. See also anything made by McCormick. Everything I've ever tried from McCormick is also freakng nasty.

Cheap booze is for kids. Then you get older, and realize, I don't have to drink stuff that tastes like old shoes and gasoline.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:46 PM

14 posts, read 12,761 times
None of the above..... Ketel One is the answer.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 PM

7,209 posts, read 8,022,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickjct View Post
None of the above..... Ketel One is the answer.
Same! Ketel One for most mixed drinks. Grey Goose on the rocks.

However, I do LOVE Grey Goose La Poire with cranberry juice (or seltzer and a splash of cranberry). So refreshing!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 PM

11,366 posts, read 8,978,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
The one you like better. Game I've played as a bartender: most people cannot pick out "their" brand of vodka in a blind taste test...
Amen. In a famous blind taste test conducted by the New York Times several years ago, with experienced food and beverage tasters, Smirnoff was the top pick over much more expensive alternatives.

I also find the snobbism associated with premium vodkas kind of silly considering the fact that U.S. Federal liquor law defines vodka as a colorless, tasteless liquor.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 AM

9,975 posts, read 10,637,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptkid View Post
Which one is better?
Of the ones you listed I would rank them:

1. Belvedere
2. Grey Goose
3. Ciroc

I don't care for Ciroc. My preference for Belvedere is weak. I prefer potato based vodka and Chopin is my favorite. Most of the premium vodkas are indistinguishable from one another. Ciroc is an exception. I do not care for it.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,177,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Amen. In a famous blind taste test conducted by the New York Times several years ago, with experienced food and beverage tasters, Smirnoff was the top pick over much more expensive alternatives.

Exactly. Smirnoff is pretty smooth for being such an affordable Vodka, so it does the trick. Like someone else said, I'll buy Texas when I can. Enchanted Rock is a good, cheap vodka. But honestly, I really can't tell a difference in most vodkas once you get in Smirnoff's price range and go up. Considering most people just throw their vodka in coke, cranberry juice, or tonic, I would never waste $50 on a bottle of Vodka for something like Grey Goose. Seems like an epic waste of money. Bourbon/Scotches and Gins are the only liquors I go pricey on.

Quote:
I also find the snobbism associated with premium vodkas kind of silly considering the fact that U.S. Federal liquor law defines vodka as a colorless, tasteless liquor.
It's beyond silly. It's a major turn off for me.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:56 PM

919 posts, read 1,069,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
vodka and grapefruit juice, salted rim.
Actually, that's a Salty Dog. Greyhound is the same, without the salt rim

Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 PM

9,860 posts, read 17,445,608 times
I go with Ciroc. Belvedere tastes like crap to me. Grey Goose you can't ever go wrong with. But Ciroc is the smoothest out of the 3.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages