U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 03:29 PM

2,990 posts, read 2,151,508 times

Advertisements

Something from a Mason jar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 05:35 PM

138 posts, read 100,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Something from a Mason jar!
How is it? I almost got me some o' that recently, though not with the added fruit. (I figure I'll add fruit if I want later.) I just figured it would be harsh and flavorless. I also assume this is from Junior Johnson, yes? This is the *real* roots of NASCAR. Moonshine runnin'.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:35 AM

2,990 posts, read 2,151,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathogre View Post
How is it? I almost got me some o' that recently, though not with the added fruit. (I figure I'll add fruit if I want later.) I just figured it would be harsh and flavorless. I also assume this is from Junior Johnson, yes? This is the *real* roots of NASCAR. Moonshine runnin'.
Its an acquired taste. Is it somewhat nasty, yes, but at the same time, its better than anything store bought, and if its good shine, theres no burn as it goes down, and no hangover the next morning, but I dont drink enough of it at one time to get drunk. And, uh, no, its not made by Junior Johnson. It was made in the backwoods of SC by a relative. Ive had some of the "legal" moonshines, not too impressed with it, but Tim Smiths is about as close to real shine but has a "twang" to it I dont like.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:21 PM

138 posts, read 100,310 times
I'm drinking a glass of White Horse blended Scotch.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:14 AM

13,327 posts, read 6,982,510 times
Can of Yuengling.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 PM

16,503 posts, read 7,399,800 times
A Sangiovese blend from Flat Creek near Austin, Super Texan, a play on Super Tuscan.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:17 PM

9,014 posts, read 8,280,324 times
Mmmm had a shot of Maker's Mark awhile ago
& a few of Jack Daniels yesterday........
Sooo good

Old 05-30-2015, 01:07 PM

71,700 posts, read 83,289,352 times
It is just about time for that first glass of wine. Think I will sign off the computer, water my plants and make spoiled brat and I a little afternoon snack, then I will pour the wine.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:19 AM

5,411 posts, read 5,838,514 times
A few of these posts make me think I'm an alcohol snob. I used to drink really lousy light beer with friends, but ever since limiting myself to a few drinks on one occasion, I insist on drinking only high quality alcohol. It doesn't have to cost a fortune but I won't drink any beer at all unless it's a craft beer. It better be a really good IPA and in general because of where I live (Pearl District near the Brewery Blocks in Downtown Portland, so the beer capitol of the US) I'm just drinking straight from the tap beer at the breweries during happy hour. It's just... delicious. I cannot imagine going back to Bud Light or any of that disgusting swill.

If I'm drinking at home, it's going to be a good single malt scotch. I don't like blended scotch at all. It's not worth the money to me. I don't drink extremely expensive stuff, but for about $50/bottle you can get plenty of great 12 year single malts and that's the sweet spot for me between affordability and taste.

I'm not a snob about wine at all. I buy most of my bottles between $10-20 and they're usually at about a 40% discount when I get them so it's even less than that at Safeway. There are plenty of good wines for inexpensive rates.

A lot of "popular" alcohols I think are just terrible, though, and I would rather drink water. Maker's Mark is one of the worst alcohols I have ever tasted and in general people who know me know that I do not say no to alcohol. But that, I will say no to that. It's disgusting. Same applies with Jack Daniels. Total garbage. There are just so many better drinks out there, even ones that aren't a fortune, like Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare, why would anyone bother with Jack Daniels unless they just don't know any better and buy into the advertising. Or maybe it's a tradition thing. Their dad used to drink it or something like that. Blech! Nasty.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:08 PM

16,503 posts, read 7,399,800 times
A 2010 tempranillo/cab blend from Inwood Estates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages