U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:06 AM

6,067 posts, read 8,327,411 times

Advertisements

I drink because I like the taste of alcohol. A nice glass of red wine or a vodka tonic after work is a great way to relax. I probably have a drink everyday or almost. I'd like to cut back, but I try to eat healthy and I don't smoke...everyone has to have a vice of some sort! I don't drink to get drunk, in fact, I rarely even get a buzz, so I figure what's the harm. As long as you're not driving drunk or hurting anyone else who cares if you drink a bottle a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,158,903 times
That's a good question. I can go for months without having a drink. I can't stand beer, so when I do drink its usually Captain n' Coke, and 1 or 2 at that. Alcohol is a big downer for me, always makes me feel sh*tty.

I think the US is obsessed with it for some reason. Watch a game on TV and half the commercials are for alcoholic drinks. Listen to people's conversations on Monday mornings and you usually hear about how hung-over someone was

Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,783,999 times
Because people hangout in a culture of drinking for years, and it is very, very difficult to break away from when all of the events your friends throw every weekend and during the week center around alcohol. I know people that have 2-3 beers every day after work, and that's exactly how you start becoming an alcoholic. Soon a moderate amount of alcohol everyday after work turns into 4-5 beers everyday. Even 2-3 beers everyday packs on a ton of calories over the course of a week. You're best bet is to never start drinking everyday once you get home in order to "relax". Also, if many of your friends' events centers around alcohol, you'd might be better off just seeing them only once a month if you need to control your alcohol intake. Ever since I moved from my friends back at home to go to school, my drinking has cut down probably by 80% because you simply aren't at events where there's massive quantities of booze available and where you feel pressured to drink.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM

71,700 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Because people hangout in a culture of drinking for years, and it is very, very difficult to break away from when all of the events your friends throw every weekend and during the week center around alcohol. I know people that have 2-3 beers every day after work, and that's exactly how you start becoming an alcoholic. Soon a moderate amount of alcohol everyday after work turns into 4-5 beers everyday. Even 2-3 beers everyday packs on a ton of calories over the course of a week. You're best bet is to never start drinking everyday once you get home in order to "relax". Also, if many of your friends' events centers around alcohol, you'd might be better off just seeing them only once a month if you need to control your alcohol intake. Ever since I moved from my friends back at home to go to school, my drinking has cut down probably by 80% because you simply aren't at events where there's massive quantities of booze available and where you feel pressured to drink.
I think you do bring up a good point, but you are reading a little too much into the question..most of us drink, yes, to relax, yes, habit but also we enjoy the taste and we don't go from 2 or 3 beers a day to 5 or 6. And most are not alcoholics. I am glad you have cut back, that is really a good thing.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,512,426 times
The thing is, drinking alcohol has been around since the beginning of recorded history(even before that).
The same could be asked of any drug or mind altering substance.
Humans have delt with this issue for CENTURIES.
If anyone here can answer that question, they need to be appointed King or Queen of the world.

(Written while intoxicated)

Old 10-05-2012, 01:45 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,512,426 times
In fact........here's something to whet your nievete' (hope I spelled that rite Im drunk)

How Booze Built America - YouTube

Old 10-05-2012, 01:51 PM

15,117 posts, read 31,011,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you do bring up a good point, but you are reading a little too much into the question..most of us drink, yes, to relax, yes, habit but also we enjoy the taste and we don't go from 2 or 3 beers a day to 5 or 6. And most are not alcoholics. I am glad you have cut back, that is really a good thing.
Totally agree with nmnita here. For as long as I have been drinking (which for me is almost strictly wine), I keep to two glasses per day, occasionally 3, or 2 glasses of wine and a brandy after dinner. I like a glass as an aperitif, a glass with dinner, and as I said an occasional brandy after. I almost NEVER desire wine once I am done eating, and I never drink it to "get drunk" so to speak, although I do enjoy the very mild buzz. I am a tall woman carrying a good amount of muscle and a few extra pounds, and this amount is acceptable for my size.

People only advance to "5 or 6 drinks" if they already have the propensity toward becoming an alcoholic. If one finds themselves craving more and more, or if it is causing a problem in some way, those are signs to cut back or stop completely.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:42 PM

882 posts, read 1,776,313 times
Because I can. And will.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:36 PM

155 posts, read 301,260 times
How come some people drink so much alcohol?

So that we will have pictures like this to post on the Internet:

Old 10-25-2012, 01:36 PM

223 posts, read 238,548 times
Quote:
I wonder how many people here talking about "evil" alcohol also drink soda and/or eat fast food, are smokers or don't excercise or do other things that are unhealthy.
Yah, anyone who has ever said to my face I shouldn't be drinking alcohol was fat, and their list of their "sin" indulgences was lengthy and included all processed foods. And they were the types to fall asleep in front of the television after having spent almost the entire day sitting on their backsides. I guarantee they'll go from heart disease before I go from the "demon likker".

I drink because it's relaxing and because I love the tastes of IPAs, porters, stouts and amber ales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or