Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I'm looking to do a Pliny the Elder clone, but probably will not get around to doing it until next week...if I do not do it tonight. I have yet to try Pliny, but have caved into all the hype. Even if my recipe is off, it should still be pretty good.
I did one in 2011 using the extract kit from MoreBeer. As usually I document my results. I don't remember it but it seems I must have liked it indeed, give me a strong hop flavored beer anytime. A dubbel IPA...I bet it was strong. This is what I wrote:

PLINY THE ELDER DOUBLE IPA
Type: Double IPA
Ingredients: 9 lbs Light Malt Extract
.5 lb. Light Dry Malt Extract
8 oz Maltodextrin
1 lb Corn Sugar
Hops – in boil: 2 oz whole Cascade, 2 oz Magnum, 1oz Simcoe, 1 oz Columbus; after boil: 2 oz Centennial, 1 oz Simcoe; dry hopped: 3 oz Columbus, 1 oz Centennial, 1 oz Simcoe
Approx. strength: 8%
Brewed in August 2011
This is named after Guinus Plinius Secondus (Pliny the Elder), an old Roman Empire statesman, who gave the “hop” flower its botanical name. Fitting to the name, this is like the Mother of all Hopped beers. Just look at the varied hop ingredients listed above. This is the first recipe where I actually used raw (whole) hop flowers, rather than processed pellets. It pours out as nut brown, in contrast to the “pale ale” label. The brew flavor itself is dry and light, with the standout taste and aroma being of intense hop bitterness. This is easily my favorite of the season. If you like hops, this is the beer for you. Be aware this is an extremely strong brew, I think the 8% may be understated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Well I made an offhand remark in another section that I had recently made my first batch of beer and Mensaguy graciously invited me here.

Now what I did is not what you all are doing. LOL. I have been teasing my wife about getting a hobby and suggested to her that making beer would be a good one. As a bit of a joke she bought me a Mr Beer kit for Christmas. Not wanting it to go to waste I made up one of the two batches that comes with it. I was surprised it wasn't too bad.

I do plan on making up the second batch next weekend and then probably getting more into it from there.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 AM

521 posts, read 859,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Well I made an offhand remark in another section that I had recently made my first batch of beer and Mensaguy graciously invited me here.

Now what I did is not what you all are doing. LOL. I have been teasing my wife about getting a hobby and suggested to her that making beer would be a good one. As a bit of a joke she bought me a Mr Beer kit for Christmas. Not wanting it to go to waste I made up one of the two batches that comes with it. I was surprised it wasn't too bad.

I do plan on making up the second batch next weekend and then probably getting more into it from there.
Nice! Welcome to the hobby. I was this close to getting a Mr. Beer kit before I started then I realized that a shop near my place sells a beginner kit for, like, $20 more. After you make that second batch Google home brew shops (insert your town here). You'll be surprised how much a beginner kit is if your shops put one together.

For all you Pliny the Elder lovers out there, 'tis the season for Pliny the Younger! It's only distributed to three states outside of California. Luckily, I just happen to be in one of those states. It only comes to a handful of places between the end of February and mid-March and there's always a line early for tickets. $10 for a nine ounce pour, and IT IS SO WORTH IT! I highly recommend trying to brew a Younger clone. Easily the best beer I've ever had. Triple IPA, ABV 10.25%.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:

Welcome aboard. The first batch I made was Mr. Beer Vienna Lager. It turned out good, and I was hooked on the hobby. I still use Mr. Beer. I put two of them in a 5 gallon fermenter, just doubling the recipe.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Welcome aboard. The first batch I made was Mr. Beer Vienna Lager. It turned out good, and I was hooked on the hobby. I still use Mr. Beer. I put two of them in a 5 gallon fermenter, just doubling the recipe.
That sounds like the ticket. LOL The kit batch didn't last long enough. I'm thinking I'll try a few different recipes and then expand something I really like.

I'm pretty lucky to be living near two micro brewers and can walk home from one. LOL..... No, I really don't drink much which is why I'm actually interested in doing this. If you are going to only have a couple they should be good.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
That sounds like the ticket. LOL The kit batch didn't last long enough. I'm thinking I'll try a few different recipes and then expand something I really like.

I'm pretty lucky to be living near two micro brewers and can walk home from one. LOL..... No, I really don't drink much which is why I'm actually interested in doing this. If you are going to only have a couple they should be good.
I've heard good reports about the North End Tavern. When I started, I found 2 Mr. Beer fermenters at yard sales, so I usually kept both of them busy.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:38 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:

Are Mr. Beer those plastic beer making kits? I think I started with those years ago, but once you brew once you can start investing in equipment if you find that you like it - glass carboys, etc... And then refine your craft. You get so much better results when you implement two simple home brew basics: 1.) Boil your wort (not sure if these kits give you that option), and 2.) Add hops (many kits are "pre-hopped").

Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Are Mr. Beer those plastic beer making kits? I think I started with those years ago, but once you brew once you can start investing in equipment if you find that you like it - glass carboys, etc... And then refine your craft. You get so much better results when you implement two simple home brew basics: 1.) Boil your wort (not sure if these kits give you that option), and 2.) Add hops (many kits are "pre-hopped").
Yep. Mr. Beer kits have a brown plastic barrel shaped fermenter. Their recipe kits have Hopped Malt Extract, so they are not supposed to be brought up to a full boil. They get very active if you do, so do it in a 5 gallon pot.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:06 AM

Have any of you home brewers ever used a steel strainer when adding hops to your boil?

I stumbled across this on ebay and have wondered if it is better than a muslin bag or if it would leave more solids in the bottom of the brew pot.

Hop Strainer Homebrew Beer Wine Fermenting | eBay

(For future viewers, this is posted on 3/17/14. The link will only work for a limited time, ~90 days.)

Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I am sure you are right. Just getting my feet wet so far. For a first timer the kits are nice because they obviously are hard to screw up but what I made while not too bad was obvious far from the best home brewed beer I've had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages