U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,013,965 times

Advertisements

to cool the wort I use a big tub or a large sink like in the laundry room.
(I like to make 5gal batches as I don't like adding water to my wort.
why because 3 or 4 gallons batches can not hold as much dissolve substances as 5gal can so your really just diluting it)

Back to cooling.
Surround your pot with ice (in the tub), now pour a bag of rock salt onto the ice.
This will lower the temp of the ice water bath as the salt melts the ice.

If you don't make yourself a cooling coil out of some copper tubing and circulate the cold water threw it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:41 AM

34,768 posts, read 31,835,689 times
What bottles are best/easiest to use?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 AM

11,046 posts, read 10,910,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You can't reliably use screw threaded top bottles. Trust me. I tried. Caps leaked and had to be replaced. If they stayed tight, some of them had small leaks and all the pressure bled off while they were conditioning in the bottles. I ended up sending all the threaded top bottles to the glass recycler.

Most of my bottles came from Sam Adams. Some came from Magic Hat. Some came from Saranac. My brew buddy puts his in a big tub with Oxy-Clean for a few days and all the labels float to the top. I wash them in the dishwasher along with the dishes. Then, on bottling day, I put clean bottles on the dishwasher and run through with just hot water to sanitize the bottles. Another brewer saved Rolling Rock bottles because they have painted on labels. (but they're green) One brewer I know of always fills one Corona bottle. Those are clear, so he uses it to observe the beer as it conditions. I've never tried that.

One thing I would NOT do is buy bottles from a brew supply place. They want .99/each plus shipping. I bought a 12-pack of Magic Hat for $13.99, got 12 bottles plus 12 bottles of good beer.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-14-2012 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: added that last part.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:52 PM

122 posts, read 171,103 times
Default best bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The best bottles to use are the empties from whatever you bought at the store and polished off. Make sure they aren't the screw cap kind, though. And brown ones are preferable to green or clear.

I use both 12 ounce and 22 ounce bottles, depending on what I'm brewing. I always keg my IPA's but the porters go in 22 ounce bottles and the weird strawberry wheat went into 12 ouncers. Sometimes I'll even mix up a batch. The pale that I just finished went into the keg and into some 12 ounce bottles afterward.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:38 AM

44 posts, read 281,660 times
Default Our First Home Brew

Hubby and I made our first home brew over the weekend. Looking forward to 5 weeks from now. Hopefully it comes out well. I'm sort of addicted to the process (so far) For our first recipe, we tried a Fat Tire knock off from a recipe forum online. We shall see.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:27 AM

12,971 posts, read 23,486,143 times
Personally, if i was brewing these days, I'd love to try these:

Ale to the Chief: White House Beer Recipe | The White House

Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 AM

882 posts, read 1,773,209 times
Congrats! FT is one of my favorites, as I tend to prefer the "pale" ales out there, and there are plenty of recipies out there for similar brews. You may want to tackle something along an IPA next (esp. for winter months). Good luck!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 AM

11,046 posts, read 10,910,423 times
I just tasted some of the Brewers Best Octoberfest I brewed at the end of July. This kit made beer virtually as good as Sam Adams or Shock Top. One big difference is that it cost ~$.66 per bottle to make.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,134,706 times
Awesome, BB!

We did the homebrew thing for a bit when we started dating 12 years ago and had a good time with it. I still remember that our first brew was a Sierra Nevada clone and it actually came out quite drinkable. We had a "launch party" at our apartment and all of our friends came over to drink it up.

The worst part is waiting a few weeks for it to be ready.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:55 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,588,688 times
Congrats on the first home brew. I've been really thinking about getting into it myself, and I was wondering if you feel that it's particularly time consuming or hard to do. Any thoughts or tips? Things you wish you'd known?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages