U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-19-2012, 03:32 PM

505 posts, read 579,557 times
Default The ability to buy alcohol from grocery stores is awesome

I would just like to make this known. I am originally from Iowa and thought nothing of this subject until I moved away because alcohol is pretty much ubiquitous in Iowa as far as being able to buy it in any store.

Then I lived for a time in Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, and a few other places with bizarre rules like you can't buy beer until 1000 in the morning or you can't buy beer on Sunday, and numerous others.

The really most annoying one is in some locales where they can't sell liquor in grocery stores. OK so me and this other guy who had a hankering for a gin and tonic drove around for an hour looking for a liquor store, finding none. I think this was in Myrtle Beach so I know its not a dry county. Well, after an hour of driving around we finally stop at a gas station and ask "Where are the liquor stores?". He's like there's one right there. It says Package Store on the sign. Evidently Package Store = Liquor Store in South Carolina.
Seriously? You can't even handle the name "Liquor Store"? I don't get it.

Anyway, I am very glad to be back in my home state where I can purchase my wine along with my turkey burgers and coffee beans. Peace.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:00 PM

1,544 posts, read 778,404 times
One think I miss since moving to Tn is buying wine in the grocery stores. In Tn you can't buy wine in the grocery store or beer in the liquor store (which isn't open on Sunday, holidays or election day)

Old 07-19-2012, 08:13 PM

4,746 posts, read 2,735,508 times
I'm fortunate that I live in Hawaii. We can buy beer, wine and hard liquor at grocery stores and at mini marts at gas stations. 7-11 also sells all three types of booze. I believe we can buy any of three at anytime except after midnight.

Last edited by kaimuki; 07-19-2012 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 PM

145 posts, read 143,761 times
Unfortunately, I move from a state that allows this to a state that doesn't. When I got to Maryland I was surprised that I couldn't go into a store and just grab a quick beer. I was also shocked at the items available for purchase in Walmart when I lived in Ohio.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 AM

29,011 posts, read 9,535,003 times
If you drink - always check if you are moving to a dry county - especially if it is a Southern state. I might move to the south - from southern California - but I would never willfully move to a dry county!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:16 AM

29,011 posts, read 9,535,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachgeek View Post
Unfortunately, I move from a state that allows this to a state that doesn't. When I got to Maryland I was surprised that I couldn't go into a store and just grab a quick beer. I was also shocked at the items available for purchase in Walmart when I lived in Ohio.
Maryland allows alcohol purchases - there are no dry states - only dry counties.

You moved to a dry county in Maryland.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:59 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 10 days ago)

48,902 posts, read 40,259,380 times
I was raised in Ca where you can buy any alcohol in the grocery stores and no one ever heard of a dry county or Blue Law. When we moved from Ca to VA my son and I were driving across the country as hubby was already there. I remember my boss and a few co-workers suggesting I take a bottle of wine with me cause I might hit places with blue laws or dry areas. I had no idea what they were talking about and didn't listen (not that I always do listen) I found out when we hit east Texas. The county was drier than dry. It was a Sat afternoon and my son asked a guy at the chicken, fast food place where I could get a beer or some wine. THe guy said 30 miles down the road. After 9 hours of driving I decided 30 more miles wasn't worth it. The next night we are in Mississippi, they had a Blue Law so no acolhol was sold on Sundays. Anyother night with nothing and I don't drink soda. From there until we arrived in NO VA I had to forget my nightly wine drink. From then on I knew what the Blue Law was, I learned about dry counties and states and I learned about state run liquor stores..

We live in a dry county now, but we are only about 6 miles from the MO state line and believe me, they have enough liquor stores right on the line to service all us boozers..In Nov our county should be going wet. We have, what appears more than enough signatures to get it on the ballot. ONce on the ballot it would pass easily.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:48 AM

10,153 posts, read 16,325,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was raised in Ca where you can buy any alcohol in the grocery stores and no one ever heard of a dry county or Blue Law. When we moved from Ca to VA my son and I were driving across the country as hubby was already there. I remember my boss and a few co-workers suggesting I take a bottle of wine with me cause I might hit places with blue laws or dry areas. I had no idea what they were talking about and didn't listen (not that I always do listen) I found out when we hit east Texas. The county was drier than dry. It was a Sat afternoon and my son asked a guy at the chicken, fast food place where I could get a beer or some wine. THe guy said 30 miles down the road. After 9 hours of driving I decided 30 more miles wasn't worth it. The next night we are in Mississippi, they had a Blue Law so no acolhol was sold on Sundays. Anyother night with nothing and I don't drink soda. From there until we arrived in NO VA I had to forget my nightly wine drink. From then on I knew what the Blue Law was, I learned about dry counties and states and I learned about state run liquor stores..

We live in a dry county now, but we are only about 6 miles from the MO state line and believe me, they have enough liquor stores right on the line to service all us boozers..In Nov our county should be going wet. We have, what appears more than enough signatures to get it on the ballot. ONce on the ballot it would pass easily.
Can't imagine living in a dry county or strict Blue Laws! Here in my county we can buy booze anywhere and everywhere and on Sunday we can start at 7:00 a.m.! (No I don't start that early LOL)

Old 07-20-2012, 01:13 PM

16,311 posts, read 14,106,257 times
NC allows the sale of beer and wine in grocery stories, in counties that allow alcohol sales (this is the baptist belt, and there are still "dry" areas, though fewer and fewer as voters vote in alcohol sales.

Old baptist laws, errrrr I mean blue laws still prohibit sales before noon on the sabbath, never mind that you don't have a sabbath, or your sabbath is a different day of the week.

Liquor is sold only in State ABC stores, which are closed Sundays and some holidays. Since I drink only ales and an occasional glass of wine, not a problem.

Until recently state law prevented sales of any beer or ale with an ABV of 6% or higher, but fortunately that was overturned perhaps 8 - 10 years ago. (Fully two thirds of the local brews are 6% or greater.)

The grocery stores have greatly expanded their selection, and now even stock growlers from the local breweries, plus close to 100 different brews to choose from. Plus we have Bruisin Ales, the #5 beer retailer in the country with over 1,000 different brews in stock.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:28 PM

146 posts, read 136,850 times
In my state (neighbor of Iowa) we can get beer, wine, and liquor in grocery stores and gas stations every day now but about five years ago you couldn't buy it on Sunday. In Minnesota I believe you still can't get wine and liquor in grocery stores and gas stations and they only sell 3.2% beer...weak.

A dry county is totally foreign to me...would never live in one on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages