U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:04 AM

374 posts, read 684,256 times

Advertisements

This may have been asked before, but after not finding any satisfying answers on Google, I decided to post this question. I'm pretty much a regular guy who's always drank domestic beer, but now that I'm watching my weight, I'm looking for some alternative. I have a couple of questions. Is hard liquor better for losing weight (if consumed in moderation) like whiskey, vodka, rum, or moonshine than having a few beers? Also, I've tried the light beer route (pretty much just Busch Light, Coors Light) and it hasn't been too successful. Would Miller 64 be the best bet? The problem is, I live in a rural dry county about a good hour or so drive from the nearest liquor store, which is really small and pretty much just stocks the basics, so it can't be anything too fancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 09:23 AM

308 posts, read 765,842 times
wine. vodka. scotch. bloody mary.
pick your poison .

the light beer never worked out for me -- you just want to drink more of it!
but if you must drink beer, have a pint of Guinness - it is actually somewhat healthy and more filling.

that said, I'd rather work out more and diet, but leave 200 calories per day on "guilty pleasure" (craft beer, piece of pie, chocolate bar, whatever), so that I don't snap and pig out when I crave something I cant have. it works well for me.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 AM

7,752 posts, read 14,411,883 times
I drink vodka when I'm watching my girlish figure.

I'll use the Pinnacle Whipped with seltzer (or orange flavored seltzer) and a little bit of OJ.
or
Grey Goose LaPoire, seltzer and a splash of cranberry.

But being that you're a guy, I don't know if that's what you had in mind.

My husband drinks the Bud 55, but as the previous poster stated, I feel he just ends up drinking more of them because he knows they're "light."

Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 AM

32,366 posts, read 59,807,408 times
Amstel Light is my beer of choice when I'm not in an "oh, the hell with it" mood.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 AM

55,647 posts, read 74,595,623 times
alcoholic drinks are loaded with sugar. need i say more?

Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 AM

12,971 posts, read 23,611,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Is hard liquor better for losing weight (if consumed in moderation) like whiskey, vodka, rum, or moonshine than having a few beers?
Unsweetened liquor is inherently the lowest calorie, if you drink it straight, because it is only alcohol, without the additional carbs or sugars that other adult beverages have.

Light beer is like light cigarettes... it has fewer calories, but because it has less of the "good stuff", people drink more of them on average.

Two caveats... you need to measure your shots to manage your intake, and you need to manage any added mixer for additional caloric intake. But 1 1/2 oz. of 80 proof vodka is about 100 calories, so adding Coke Zero, for instance, would give you the lowest calories "standard drink" possible.

1.5 oz 80 proof vodka, rum, whiskey = 100 calories

12 oz. 5% beer (Regular) = 153 calories

12 oz. 4.2% beer (Light) = 110 calories... BUT it is only 85% of a standard drink

5 oz. White wine, dry = 120 calories

5 oz. Red wine, medium = 130 calories.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:25 AM

15,189 posts, read 31,132,279 times
Stick to plain distilled spirits or very dry wines. Mixed drinks have loads of sugar and carbs, beer has too many carbs plus bloat-causing yeast. Distilled spirits have no carbs, and the body processes it differently from sugars. HOWEVER: Bear in mind that the liver ALWAYS must process alcohol before anything that you eat; so if you drink while eating, you are more likely to gain weight.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 AM

374 posts, read 684,256 times
Thanks for the help, everyone...Thursday night is usually the drinking night for me, so I might try a Bud 55 or two and then a couple shots of whiskey, since they are apparently only 100 calories each. To relax a bit but keep the calories down. I have a stash of shine, but I imagine the calories would probably be higher than regular whiskey...

Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 AM

414 posts, read 899,987 times
If you're restricting carbohydrates, hard alcohol is the way to go since it generally doesn't have carbs (unless it's sweetened or mixed something). It is, however, calorie-heavy (but not so much as compared to most light beers). Alcohol is also generally a "bad thing" for dieters because it is burned off before carbs and carbs are burned off before fat. So it can stall your weight loss.

If you're just looking for a nice calm, drinking a shot or two of unsweetened liquor won't really set you back in losing weight. It's going to be 50-60 calories (all from alcohol) per shot equivalent and each one should be burned off in an hour or two.

Meanwhile, each bottle of Coors Light has just over 100 calories and just over 5g carbs. And it would take 2-3 of those to get the same feeling as a couple of shots of a hard liquor.

As far as I know the lowest calorie/lowest carb beer available is Bud Select 55 which has 55 calories an 2g carbs. However, it only has an alcohol content of 2.4%, meaning if you're after a buzz it'll take more to get you there.

In the wine department, you're generally talking 100-125 calories per 5oz serving with 2-4g carbs and around 10-12% alcohol, so it's not at all a bad choice, plus research is starting to point to possible health benefits from drinking wine in moderation.

Thus far I've lost more than 50 pounds on a modified Atkins plan and I have an alcoholic beverage once every week or two, usually sticking with a shot or two of hard alcohol (I typically do a flavored rum or vodka and chase with water) or a glass of red wine.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:37 AM

5,013 posts, read 5,927,658 times
vodka w/seltzer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages