Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It's a toss-up between Heineken and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. The Heinie was flat and floral (I am NOT looking for floral from a beer) while the SNPA smelled and tasted like the fumes that used to be put off by a rubber plant I once lived near. It was also too bitter. One swallow of each and the rest was poured on to the ground.
What a waste of two fine beers!

I will say, the hops flowers that are used to flavor beer (they were originally a preservative, before refrigeration) have a wide range of flavor and aroma profiles, from floral to bitter, so it sounds like you were reacting badly to the extremes.

Ah, well, to each his own. Or as my dad used to say, "All the more for me!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Scotch. Yuck. I know it's an acquired taste, but I'm not looking to acquire it anytime soon.
And I agree. Hubby did not have to acquire a taste or said he didn't: it has been his favorite drink for years...same with one son in law and our grandson in law. I will continue to enjoy my wine, an occassional martini and my whatever and tonic.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I had some moonshine from a small southern West Virginia town that my friend smelled and referred to as "Jet Fuel." I think it would have powered a small Cessna without a problem. It might have cleared a person's sinuses out, but I'm afraid the scarring might have been permanent.
Oh, I forgot about the moonshine. I had it about 50 years ago; neighbors in Ca took a trip back to the hills of, I think AR and brought back some a relative had made. Luckily all we did was sip about a tbsp of the crrap..

Fontucky, my younger daughters only drink, and I mean only is Heinekin. She drinks a lot of it I will add.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
MoviPrep. My apologies to the under fifty crowd that don't know what MoviPrep is. Give it a few years and you will.
GL2

Old 08-06-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
MoviPrep. My apologies to the under fifty crowd that don't know what MoviPrep is. Give it a few years and you will.
GL2
That certainly gives new meaning to the toast, "Bottoms Up!"

Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It's a toss-up between Heineken and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. The Heinie was flat and floral (I am NOT looking for floral from a beer) while the SNPA smelled and tasted like the fumes that used to be put off by a rubber plant I once lived near. It was also too bitter. One swallow of each and the rest was poured on to the ground.
The Pale Ale is a heavily hopped beer - some people don't like it. People that love beer, love the heavily hopped beers. "Hop heads" we call them. I like Sierra Nevada, I love Pale Ales, my favorite type of brew, but I guess it's not for everyone.

Heineken. I remember back when I was in my 20s that used to be the premium beer of choice. Now, blah. My opinion was changed after a few trips to The Netherlands. My coworkers are dutch and I go there a few times a year. Hieneken to them is equivalent to Old Milwaukee to us - garbage beer.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:05 PM

19,695 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The Pale Ale is a heavily hopped beer - some people don't like it. People that love beer, love the heavily hopped beers. "Hop heads" we call them. I like Sierra Nevada, I love Pale Ales, my favorite type of brew, but I guess it's not for everyone.

Heineken. I remember back when I was in my 20s that used to be the premium beer of choice. Now, blah. My opinion was changed after a few trips to The Netherlands. My coworkers are dutch and I go there a few times a year. Hieneken to them is equivalent to Old Milwaukee to us - garbage beer.
Gotta agree with you here! Love me some hops!

Also, for some reason I cannot stand beer in green bottles. (I attribute this to Mickey's overkill in my teen years...lol )

Old 08-06-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That may be true, and I too have lost my youthful enthusiasm for the brew, however it is brewed from a traditional barley-only recipe dating back to well before Keith Richards was born, and they are the third largest brewer in the world, so there are obviously some folks that like it.

At the corner general store near my place in Hawai'i, it's one of the beers that goes out the door in huge numbers. That still cracks me up.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Yeh but Bud is a high selling beer. Do people like it or do they like getting drunk off of flavourless beer and not actually really like beer at all ? I would shoot for the latter =) Heino is about the lightest a beer that I like.

The worst beer I have ever tried is Coors, had it both ice cold and warn. You know a beer is terrible when their main selling point is that it tells you when its cold and now you can poke a hole in the can. Never a mention of "flavour".

Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 AM

19,695 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
and now you can poke a hole in the can.

That's funny, Miller Lite cans have that same thing on there to punch your keys through, I'm like WTF...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages