U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:40 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,667,966 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite white, red, sparkling? Do you have a preference for wines from any particular country or region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 11:25 AM

185 posts, read 534,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
What's your favorite white, red, sparkling? Do you have a preference for wines from any particular country or region?
Being a wino,I'm pretty simple lol. I like homemade Sangria, pretty much any Chianti (San Ruffiniano was last i had) a good Port(10 year old Fonseca)
I enjoy white wines from , Austraila,California. Prosecco (i like the bubbles) There's a wine from Spain (Name?) Dessert wines are usually delicious. A nice Italian merlot ,or Barolo.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,545,034 times
Gosh, there are so darn many of them. One of my favorites was from Sterling Vineyards in Napa. Three Palms Merlot, 2001. I can still remember the taste and the atmosphere of the room. We purchased too few bottles.
We like Cigarzin, Hanna Vineyards has very good Merlots, and for inexpensive wines, Santa Emma Reserve, Chile. I think BevMo has it for around $8.00 or under. It is a decent little bbq wine. I like the Chilean wines for quality and price.

I miss Napa. I do wish we could ship from State to State.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,667,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Gosh, there are so darn many of them. One of my favorites was from Sterling Vineyards in Napa. Three Palms Merlot, 2001. I can still remember the taste and the atmosphere of the room. We purchased too few bottles.
I miss Napa. I do wish we could ship from State to State.
That IS a wonderful wine - one of my favorites, also! Did you see the Three Palms vineyard from the tram? We got a little dizzy on the ride, too much partying in Napa the night before.

The Mumm winery tour was awesome, not to mention the bubbly! And Domaine Chandon was gorgeous.

Have you tried any of the Sebastiani cabs? Or Rosenblum zins?

My traveling companion was an ABC (anything but chardonnay) before our trip, now she's hooked on McMannis chard.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:25 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,258,679 times
I love Spanish Riojas and Italian Pinot Grigios, along with Pinot Noirs from anywhere! We just had a new wine shop open down the street with a great selection for all under $15 bucks!

I am a firm believer that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a good bottle of vino

Old 10-09-2007, 06:45 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,872,494 times
Not a wine lover anymore but when I did drink wine I had a taste for Portuguese wines, and they don't have to be pricey at all to be enjoyable. Nowadays I just drink Sam Adams Boston Lager or a true hand squeezed puro Margarita with a good Mexican plate of rice, beans and a home made machaca torta, Yum ! Are ya all hungry now !!!

Old 10-10-2007, 04:22 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,859,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post

I am a firm believer that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a good bottle of vino
I agree.
And you can ship from state to state if your state laws allow it.
I have had wine shipped to me from Chicago.

For years and years I tried to broaden my white wine horizons outside of chardonnay, but nothing ever quite grabbed me the way it did.
I had previously enjoyed that big oaky taste from California (or Oz, or S Africa), the butter, the vanilla, but I think I finally OD'd on it, though I will never completely forsake chard.
Am not a pinot grigio fan at all. Not enough substance.
Recently I have been drinking rieslings. I have enjoyed them quite a bit.
The ones I've tried (one of them was called Polka Dot, from Germany) were dry rieslings, and they have a soft, creamy mouthfeel with citrus flavor and are not heavy at all.
Favorite reds:
French wines from the Languedoc region. Dark, heavy, in your face.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:50 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,686,494 times
Default Huh...there are so many of them...

I got into the wine thing because of my dh.
He has several favs, but I think he likes one in particular.... Sterling Merlot.
My "palate" is definitely not "refined" or gotten used to the dry reds, and I rather stick with the white sweet Rieslings from Germany (Mosel regions are the sweetest).
One word of caution though....the sweets hit you fast, and your heads will definitely tell you the next day....lol.

Who knows....maybe as I get older, I will get a more "refined" taste, and get to appreciate the dry reds and whites a bit more.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:56 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,878,042 times
Just thought I'd add the comments on wine from another thread here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...endations.html

Old 12-13-2007, 06:33 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,488,202 times
Reds:Red Zinfindel (Ravenswood) Merlot (Franciscan, Stags Leap, Cakebread, Smoking Loon, Ferrari Carrano)
Whites: Sauvignon Blanc (Simi) Caymus Conundrum........just to name a few.
Champagne: Pierre Jouet, Vouve Clicquo (sp)

I like Californian, Virginian, South American, South African, Australian, Italian, French wines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages