U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:24 AM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I've recently started enjoying Gin. So far my favorites have been Hendrick's and Rogue Spruce and Pink Spruce Gin. What are some other nice Gins and maybe some easy cocktail recipes? I mainly mix with Sierra Mist or something similar due to the ease and low cost, but I have some other liquors in my cabinet. Maybe I'll make some martinis tonight but I'd appreciate anything interesting recipe wise.
We drink so little gin that we just finished a bottle that we bought on a cruise about 10 years ago. We mainly kept it for our priest, in NM who loved gin and tonic. She has since passed away and we have moved, so about a month of so ago, we decided to have a gin and tonic in her honor. It was actually very good, but I doubt I will ever buy another bottle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 08:29 PM

414 posts, read 896,325 times
I've never developed a real taste for straight gin. I really only use it when I have Corona in the house.

Bottle of Corona with empty neck
Shot of Gin
Shot of Lime Juice

One of my favorite drinks.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,536,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecda View Post
I've never developed a real taste for straight gin. I really only use it when I have Corona in the house.

Bottle of Corona with empty neck
Shot of Gin
Shot of Lime Juice

One of my favorite drinks.
See, I've had that with tequila... which to my taste buds is quite compatible... but never would have thought of gin.

And probably never will, either.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 AM

223 posts, read 202,588 times
Hey if you like gin and sierra mist go nuts. Although I would agree with OpenD and say that if you do that you should probably save a few bucks and mix it with a cheaper gin. I enjoy it in a martini maybe with a few drops of vermouth, a few olives...yum. Gin is basically spiced vodka and a lot more interesting too.

The Botanist gin from Islay Scotland (home to some great scotches too!) seems very interesting. I haven't tried it yet but it seems to have some good reviews. Here some more info on it. Happy sipping!

The Gin Blog The Botanist Gin

Old 10-24-2012, 03:18 PM

600 posts, read 887,485 times
I love Bacardi Limon with Corona and a lime wedge.

As for Gin - I'm so British, I love Gin & tonic with ice and lemon - NOT lime! My preferred brand is Bombay Sapphire. Never tried Hendricks, maybe I should.

My parents were big Gin drinkers, but they preferred Gordons.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:50 AM

91 posts, read 143,288 times
Beefeater the first name in martini. This is my favorite bone dry served straight up in a chilled cocktail glass with olives.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM

3,372 posts, read 3,764,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalimey View Post
I love Bacardi Limon with Corona and a lime wedge.

As for Gin - I'm so British, I love Gin & tonic with ice and lemon - NOT lime! My preferred brand is Bombay Sapphire. Never tried Hendricks, maybe I should.

My parents were big Gin drinkers, but they preferred Gordons.
I love Bacardi Limon, AND Corona, AND lime!! But usually only two out of three of them at once! i never thought of mixing them all together! So...do you do like somebody else said and have the Corona level down aways and pour the Limon in? Do you shake it a little, or just drink it like that? And if so, wouldn't your first swallow be all Limon?

Old 10-26-2012, 09:36 AM

600 posts, read 887,485 times
I take a couple of sips of the Corona first, then add the Bacardi Limon and lime wedge. Then I turn the whole thing upside down to mix it up. Then drink. Yummy!

Old 10-27-2012, 10:27 PM

414 posts, read 896,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
See, I've had that with tequila... which to my taste buds is quite compatible... but never would have thought of gin.

And probably never will, either.
Haha, yes, I brutalize gin.

I'll have to try the Corona with tequila sometime.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,461 times
I'm partial to Citadelle gin -- if you like Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray, you'll be in for a treat. I don't have any innovative recipes written down anywhere, though I've tried gin with various flavors of Dry Soda (lavender, blood orange, rhubarb, and lime) to pleasant results. Also, gin over lime sorbet/fruit ice is an interesting experiment, not as good as some dessert wines over ice cream but tasty nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages