U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 07:07 PM

233 posts, read 388,407 times

Advertisements

I have a few bottles of open whiskey and they will last me a while.

I don't drink that often. Maybe a glass (double) two or three times a month when I want to relax at night.

I have Jack, Maker's Mark, Blackbush, and a little thing of American Honey. I like to try different things and have variety. The problem is, the bottles last for a while and the more I buy, the longer they will sit on the shelf before being finished.

Is there an expiration date for open whiskey? I want to get a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green, but am debating on whether or not to wait until the Blackbush is finished.

Any thoughts or experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,604,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boolouwho View Post
Is there an expiration date for open whiskey? I want to get a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green, but am debating on whether or not to wait until the Blackbush is finished.
Straight liquor in a glass bottle will keep indefinitely unopened, and will stay good for years once opened, especially if well stoppered. I have a very special bottle of "proprietor's reserve" that I've been slowly working down for about 10 years.

Liquers, which have sugar added, and often fruit flavors are a bit more fragile, and can begin precipitating sugar after a couple of years.

Cream based cordials, like Baileys Irish Cream should normally be consumed within about 18 months or they'll turn to sludge.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 AM

32,363 posts, read 59,787,282 times
You'll be fine. My sister brought me a bottle of rum from St. Kitts and I'm savoring it s-l-o-w-l-y. It's so good that I just can't bear the thought of it being gone.

She bought it when she was expecting her first child, who is now 14.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 AM

71,910 posts, read 83,551,069 times
I bought some Gin in the caribbean about 10 years ago because our priest, a good friend of ours loved gin/tonic. Well we have since moved, no one we know drinks it so we decided a few months ago to finish it up..It was as good as the day we bought it...We have Kahula that I have no idea how old it is; it too is still good. I guess that pretty much answers your question..

Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 AM

25,630 posts, read 30,408,337 times
I have several bottles of whisky from the 1940's, 50's and 60's inherited from my grandfather when he passed in the 1980's. My father and I being the only Whisky drinkers in the immediate family have a couple of drams on special occasions every year and the bottles get decanted down to smaller bottles to reduce airspace when needed and then sealed. Taste just as good as the funeral toast decades ago.

Also store the bottles upright so as not to contact the cork, out of sunlight and no higher than 70 degrees for Maximum retention.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 AM

9,228 posts, read 18,922,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
..and no higher than 70 degrees for Maximum retention.
This is important! I know someone who kept a very nice liquor cabinet full of very fine liquors right in front of a heat vent in the dining room. She assumed that hard liquor would last indefinitely if unopened and if opened, properly stoppered. But she didn't realize that the heater blowing directly on the cabinet, creating a nice little oven, for a good 1-2 years, would totally ruin everything. The only thing that did not taste completely horrible was the vodka, but even that needed to be combined into a mixed drink, as it tasted "off." Rum: terrible, whiskey: terrible, flavored liqueurs: terrible. Wine: don't even ask; it was sad, just sad. They insisted that some of their booze collection was still good after that, but we learned quickly to BYOB when we went to their house, just to be sure.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 PM

233 posts, read 388,407 times
Thanks everyone who posted! My liquor won't last nearly as long as some of y'alls!

Thank you especially to Bulldogdad and TracySam, I had no idea about the cork, sunlight, and temperature. I will go upright my bottle of Black Bush right away.

I know that what I drink isn't top shelf, but it still all adds up as I buy new whiskeys to taste. It's nice to know they'll still be good when I finish them off.

Cheers!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,604,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boolouwho View Post
I had no idea about the cork, sunlight, and temperature. I will go upright my bottle of Black Bush right away.
Oh, yes... funny the assumptions we make about what people know...

So here are some basic rules for storing booze:

1. Store liquor bottles upright, in a cool, dark place, with firmly closed stoppers.*

And one additional, that rarely occurs to folks, even to those who observe all of the above... fancy lead glass decanters are not for long term storage. As enticing as they look on Upstairs, Downstairs and Downtin Abbey, the soft lead glass used for decorative cut glass carafes can leach dangerous levels of lead into one's tipple if alcohol is left to soak in it indefinitely.

It occurs to me to add, those fast pourers that bars use are NOT for long term storage, not unless they have a tight fitting cap. They're for convenience on fast rotating stock.

Last edited by OpenD; 11-12-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 PM

3,664 posts, read 5,542,728 times
If you don't open it, it will last a long long time. Hence the 30 year old scotch and so on. Once its opened you have a couple years or so depending on what it is.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:03 PM

223 posts, read 203,266 times
Well since many whiskies are aged for 20, 30, 40 years plus I don't think you'll have an issue. I would add though that if stored properly they will last a long time, even if they had been opened, but the taste of the whiskey or spirit may change some over time. Especially if there is a large air gap in the bottle, like if the bottle is half full. The spirit in contact with air changes it a bit, not that it will become bad just different. That especially happens to me when I have a peated whiskey like Laphroaig. The taste of the peat in the whiskey settles down some as the bottle gets lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages