U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,366,437 times
Reputation: 6775

Advertisements

Looking for something besides a stout but am open to suggestions. I've tried several that I'm sure will be suggested. Don't let that stop you from suggesting anything. I want Sam Adams Chocolate Bock but can't find it. I'm in Charlotte, NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,401 posts, read 59,899,964 times
Reputation: 54046
Mmmm, I was going to suggest Young's Double Chocolate Stout. That's available pretty much everywhere.

Here's a link for you:

Drink Local -Keep your Beer Dollars in North Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2012, 01:02 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,366,437 times
Reputation: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Mmmm, I was going to suggest Young's Double Chocolate Stout. That's available pretty much everywhere.

Here's a link for you:

Drink Local -Keep your Beer Dollars in North Carolina
Young's is OK but I'm looking for something a bit lighter and less bitter, like a porter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2012, 03:49 PM
 
5,733 posts, read 4,641,093 times
Reputation: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Looking for something besides a stout but am open to suggestions. I've tried several that I'm sure will be suggested. Don't let that stop you from suggesting anything. I want Sam Adams Chocolate Bock but can't find it. I'm in Charlotte, NC.
Oh! That sounds good - gotta try this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2012, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
892 posts, read 1,849,783 times
Reputation: 1294
Mudshark Abominable Winter Ale- white and dark chocolate notes with a hint of mint! It's a dark beer but I didn't find it heavy at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,366,437 times
Reputation: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Oh! That sounds good - gotta try this.
It's delicious, and can be served at room temp. IF I could find it, that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
Mudshark Abominable Winter Ale- white and dark chocolate notes with a hint of mint! It's a dark beer but I didn't find it heavy at all
You had me until the mint. Maybe I'll get a bottle or two anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 AM
 
4,487 posts, read 4,371,765 times
Reputation: 4001
My favorite readily available chocolate stout is Founder Breakfast stout. Also very good are Rogue Chocolate stout, Stone Imperial Russian Stout & Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. If you can find it the best stout on the planet is Dark Lord Imperial Stout from Three Floyds Brewery near Chicago. (oh how I wish I could get their beers in Virginia)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
892 posts, read 1,849,783 times
Reputation: 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You had me until the mint. Maybe I'll get a bottle or two anyway.
It's very subtle. The chocolate flavor is much more noticeable. I think the mint helps lighten it up a bit.

There is also Sonoran White Chocolate Ale. It's not heavy at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,423,428 times
Reputation: 3085
Good suggesstions. You mentioned porters and I immediately thought of Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, but it really isn't a chocolate/coffee beer. Along the same line, Leinenkugel's changed it's winter seasonal to a Vanilla Porter that is delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,366,437 times
Reputation: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
It's very subtle. The chocolate flavor is much more noticeable. I think the mint helps lighten it up a bit.

There is also Sonoran White Chocolate Ale. It's not heavy at all.
I didn't find either at Total Wine today, unfortunately. I'll keep looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Good suggesstions. You mentioned porters and I immediately thought of Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, but it really isn't a chocolate/coffee beer. Along the same line, Leinenkugel's changed it's winter seasonal to a Vanilla Porter that is delicious.
I've had the BVP. It was OK but I didn't like something about. I've forgotten what that was, but when I saw it today at TW I remembered that I hadn't planned on buying it again. Maybe too much vanilla?


Thanks for all the input, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:35 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top