Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,951,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I was astonished at the list of states that do not allow direct importation of wines through clubs. Some, I understand. Utah, for one, and where I now live (Oklahoma) plus where I used to live (Arkansas). But Pennsylvania and Massachusetts surprise me, maybe they're trying to save their own industry. (BTW, PA has some decent wineries [Lehigh Valley and Brandywine trail, among others] that offer good wines at an affordable price.
I didn't have an issue with my club shipping to Massachusetts, perhaps because the wines weren't domestic.

Oddly the bottles I had shipped from Australia didn't have to go through the LCB here. But when I was shipping in from Napa/Sonoma, I had to find a guy who dealt with shpping to 'illegal' states - so one day I took possession of five boxes labeled "electronics parts".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 02:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,854,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I didn't have an issue with my club shipping to Massachusetts, perhaps because the wines weren't domestic.

Oddly the bottles I had shipped from Australia didn't have to go through the LCB here. But when I was shipping in from Napa/Sonoma, I had to find a guy who dealt with shpping to 'illegal' states - so one day I took possession of five boxes labeled "electronics parts".
MA depends on which state it's coming from--really weird laws there. PA prohibits it from any state.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:42 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,226,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnut View Post
Had my first Malbec with dinner last night and I really liked it. It was probably a lower end line as the full bottle was only $32 . I believe it was The Gambler, anyway thanks for the recommendation. Ill be trying many of the other rec's very soon.
Glad you enjoyed it: we usually drink bottles that run about $9 to $12 each at the liquior store.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:47 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
MA depends on which state it's coming from--really weird laws there. PA prohibits it from any state.
We have these "State Wine and Spirits Stores" here in PA. They do sell a variety of wines domestic and imported, just not a great selection. I went shopping in one a few weeks ago because I needed a cheap red wine for cooking, and also some Bombay Sapphire Gin.

For my serious wine purchases I drive the 15 miles to Claymont, Delaware - literally just yards over the PA state line - to a mega wine store than has aisles and aisles of wines. Besides, Delaware has no sales tax.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:53 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,226,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
We have these "State Wine and Spirits Stores" here in PA. They do sell a variety of wines domestic and imported, just not a great selection. I went shopping in one a few weeks ago because I needed a cheap red wine for cooking, and also some Bombay Sapphire Gin.

For my serious wine purchases I drive the 15 miles to Claymont, Delaware - literally just yards over the PA state line - to a mega wine store than has aisles and aisles of wines. Besides, Delaware has no sales tax.
our county has always been dry so we drive 5 miles to the MO line and get some fair deals, with lots of choices..Now the county has gone wet, but my guess, for those of us on the border we will still shop MO cause the taxes are lower...

Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM

41,749 posts, read 74,749,634 times
Any wineries near you? If so, check 'em out. Most everything I drink these days I buy at the winery, although I'm certainly not above a bottle or two of Two Buck Chuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Living in PA means we don't have access to actual wine merchants. We have to deal with what the state offers for distribution - there are no wine experts here who can sell direct.
Sucks, don't it? I miss the little wine shops and wine tastings in Ohio. And the big mega stores in Kentucky.

Quote:
b) if you like wine, don't live in PA, lol.
I buy most of my wine at wineries or at the wineries' shops. In the past 20 years, the Erie-area (and western New York) wineries have moved away from Concord, Niagara and Catawba wines and sweeter fruit blends, and are making some very good wines. I tend to load up when I visit my mom. There are an increasing number of small wineries around Philadelphia, too, that make tasty wines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
But Pennsylvania and Massachusetts surprise me
LOL. You shouldn't be! Pennsylvania is notorious for its stupid alcohol laws.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,951,613 times
Quote:
That doesn't work so well when one lives in Pittsburgh

Old 01-02-2013, 07:19 AM

24,187 posts, read 13,048,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
our county has always been dry so we drive 5 miles to the MO line and get some fair deals, with lots of choices..Now the county has gone wet, but my guess, for those of us on the border we will still shop MO cause the taxes are lower...
In 2000 I moved to Fort Smith from AZ, and had to give up my Mumm Club membership. They wouldn't send it to Arkansas. Since I lived a stone's throw from the OK border I thought I could set up an address in Pocola but same laws, different state (oh, well). At least Macadoodles, the liquor store I suspect you're talking about, wasn't that far away.

On the original subject, another red to consider is anything from New Mexico, specifically the wineries of St. Clair and Lescombes, if you can get it. The oldest winemaking region in America, they have some excellent bargains that hold their own against anything 10 times the cost. Great mourvedre, cab/zin and nebbiolo.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 AM

24,187 posts, read 13,048,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Any wineries near you? If so, check 'em out. Most everything I drink these days I buy at the winery, although I'm certainly not above a bottle or two of Two Buck Chuck.

I buy most of my wine at wineries or at the wineries' shops. In the past 20 years, the Erie-area (and western New York) wineries have moved away from Concord, Niagara and Catawba wines and sweeter fruit blends, and are making some very good wines. I tend to load up when I visit my mom. There are an increasing number of small wineries around Philadelphia, too, that make tasty wines...
I was alternately pleased and disappointed at the quality of the Niagara Escarpment wines when I visisted about 3 years ago, some decent pinot noir and cab franc, but a few stinkers (literally) as well. A pinot that was so sulfurous it stuck with me all the way back to Syracuse.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,854,793 times
Quote:

I'm well aware of the PLCB. Great place to pick up bargains. Some of the stores are pathetic, others are fabulous. Best bet is to watch the web site for clearance sales and spend the couple bucks to have the wine shipped to one of the stores for pick up. I do this a couple of times a year and a friend picks it up and it eventually gets to me. PA doesn't care if you are an out of state buyer, they just won't ship out of state. I've bought about $3000 worth of wine for $850 this year from them. You do have to know what you're looking at to see the values--you won't find them with the junk, mostly with the better French, Italian, and South African wines, as well as an occasional gem out of Napa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages