U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Reputation: 41524

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
In 2000 I moved to Fort Smith from AZ, and had to give up my Mumm Club membership. They wouldn't send it to Arkansas. Since I lived a stone's throw from the OK border I thought I could set up an address in Pocola but same laws, different state (oh, well). At least Macadoodles, the liquor store I suspect you're talking about, wasn't that far away.

On the original subject, another red to consider is anything from New Mexico, specifically the wineries of St. Clair and Lescombes, if you can get it. The oldest winemaking region in America, they have some excellent bargains that hold their own against anything 10 times the cost. Great mourvedre, cab/zin and nebbiolo.
jI have had St Clair and yes it is pretty good. Oh, BTW, when it comes to sending to OK, I think it might depend on where you live: We were in NV and Ca last spring, wanted to ship some home from the wineries, but of course we couldn't. We could ship to our grandaughter just outside of OKC> We did and she brought it to us her next visit.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,451,304 times
Reputation: 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
jI have had St Clair and yes it is pretty good. Oh, BTW, when it comes to sending to OK, I think it might depend on where you live: We were in NV and Ca last spring, wanted to ship some home from the wineries, but of course we couldn't. We could ship to our grandaughter just outside of OKC> We did and she brought it to us her next visit.

Nita
Just buy styro-pack cases and check as luggage. Cheaper than shipping usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,309 posts, read 59,585,988 times
Reputation: 53810
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I was alternately pleased and disappointed at the quality of the Niagara Escarpment wines when I visisted about 3 years ago, some decent pinot noir and cab franc, but a few stinkers (literally) as well.
Yes, there are, but that's no different from any other wine-producing region. Even France makes some nasty wines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,451,304 times
Reputation: 13016
My experience with NYS (Niagara, Finger Lakes, Dutchess, and Long Island) is that there is nothing exceptional, a handful of really good wines, a few handfuls of OK wines, and a lot of people who shouldn't have quit their day jobs to try to make wine making of the great majority. I've probably tried 200 wines from NYC, and found 95% of them undrinkable. There is only one I have found worth actually buying for my cellar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 AM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
16,467 posts, read 7,390,893 times
Reputation: 7206
My sister works as an assistant winemaker in a Southern California winery (one I mentioned a few posts back) and some WILL ship to OK.

As for the NY wines, it's a lot like Oklahoma wines... stay clear of the reds, enjoy the rieslings, seyvals, gewurtztraminers, and in the case of NY, the rkatseteli.

For the OP, if you can find Ponte they're worth the expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
16,467 posts, read 7,390,893 times
Reputation: 7206
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Just buy styro-pack cases and check as luggage. Cheaper than shipping usually.
It used to be cheaper to pack styro cases or wine skins, but the last time I was in Napa I flew out of Sacramento and my bag weighed 53 lbs. The free bag on Southwest suddenly cost $50. Sometimes I'll pack a roll of bubble wrap on business and if I find some eclectic wine somewhere I can wrap it in the checked baggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,451,304 times
Reputation: 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
It used to be cheaper to pack styro cases or wine skins, but the last time I was in Napa I flew out of Sacramento and my bag weighed 53 lbs. The free bag on Southwest suddenly cost $50. Sometimes I'll pack a roll of bubble wrap on business and if I find some eclectic wine somewhere I can wrap it in the checked baggage.
A 12 bottle styro-pak case filled, even with the heavy glass bottles some wineries use, weighs 39 pounds. Put it into a Wine Check and now it's 42 pounds. If it's standard bottles it's 35 lbs with just the shipper, 38 in a Wine Check. I've checked wine this way all over the world and never been overweight. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Currently living in Reddit
5,655 posts, read 5,679,377 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm well aware of the PLCB. Great place to pick up bargains. Some of the stores are pathetic, others are fabulous. Best bet is to watch the web site for clearance sales and spend the couple bucks to have the wine shipped to one of the stores for pick up. I do this a couple of times a year and a friend picks it up and it eventually gets to me. PA doesn't care if you are an out of state buyer, they just won't ship out of state. I've bought about $3000 worth of wine for $850 this year from them. You do have to know what you're looking at to see the values--you won't find them with the junk, mostly with the better French, Italian, and South African wines, as well as an occasional gem out of Napa.
To be fair to the PLCB, when Jonathan Newman was in charge he created the 'Chairman's Selection' which were wines of varying quality/price that the PLCB loaded up on and provided some decent discounts. Newman quit due to a political crony hiring. Since that time, I think the quality of selections and values have gone down a bit, although you can always load up on Montepulcianos at more than fair prices.

As to "some of the stores are fabulous"... you can't have a serious conversation about wine or spirits with anyone I've met. We have two superstores in Pgh (might be three now) and I always get either a blank stare or a curt, 'did you check the website' for an answer. Furthermore, the stores don't carry much of from South Africa - maybe 16sf of shelf space (4' x 4 shelves) of which 2/3 are meritage, nothing from Bulgaria and only major producers from Chile, Argentina, etc.

The big joke is that the "massive buying power" of the PLCB is supposed to provide competitive pricing across the board. But a bottle of Laguvulin scotch is $72, while the same bottle in NYC is $56. They carry plenty of vanity vodkas, but only one Polish rye vodka, and so on.

It's not surprising that Newman has come out for privatizing the PLCB. He's a guy who cares about consumers, unlike his former political bosses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,451,304 times
Reputation: 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
To be fair to the PLCB, when Jonathan Newman was in charge he created the 'Chairman's Selection' which were wines of varying quality/price that the PLCB loaded up on and provided some decent discounts. Newman quit due to a political crony hiring. Since that time, I think the quality of selections and values have gone down a bit, although you can always load up on Montepulcianos at more than fair prices.

As to "some of the stores are fabulous"... you can't have a serious conversation about wine or spirits with anyone I've met. We have two superstores in Pgh (might be three now) and I always get either a blank stare or a curt, 'did you check the website' for an answer. Furthermore, the stores don't carry much of from South Africa - maybe 16sf of shelf space (4' x 4 shelves) of which 2/3 are meritage, nothing from Bulgaria and only major producers from Chile, Argentina, etc.

The big joke is that the "massive buying power" of the PLCB is supposed to provide competitive pricing across the board. But a bottle of Laguvulin scotch is $72, while the same bottle in NYC is $56. They carry plenty of vanity vodkas, but only one Polish rye vodka, and so on.

It's not surprising that Newman has come out for privatizing the PLCB. He's a guy who cares about consumers, unlike his former political bosses.
It seems like the more knowledgeable people are in the stores in SEPA. I've also found good selections in one of the State College area stores. Don't try to find anything better than Yellow Tail in the Harrisburg area--the biggest store is a joke. Again, ordering online and having it shipped to a store is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,273,424 times
Reputation: 6774
I skimmed only the first page but will be back for my own interests. But I saw few reasons for why a certain wine was liked. If people only say "I like x" then this is just a poll and doesn't help OP (or more importantly, me ) make buying decisions going forward. For instance, if a poster says "I like x because it has flavors of a, b, and c", and I know I don't like a or b, then I won't buy that wine. Opinions without justification are not very useful, in my opinion.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top