U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,406,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's basically a Hoegarden knock-off, with lower ABV to appeal to the kids, from a giant brewery. I think it has as much art to it as a Pepsi does.
Okay, so, I guess I could say that about 98% of all beers on the market today, they all are based on a style, so only the first is artful. Nearly every brewer in the US, no the world, has no art, based on your definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,545,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Okay, so, I guess I could say that about 98% of all beers on the market today, they all are based on a style, so only the first is artful. Nearly every brewer in the US, no the world, has no art, based on your definition.
Not what I said. There are lots and lots of American brewers, hundreds in number, who are artful. Unfortunately they only have about 5% of the market, while two global giants own the rest.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 PM

1,637 posts, read 3,593,328 times
I love the trappist beers. I left a Westvleteren 12 in my fridge when I moved My ex wife now has it, she probably drank it.

I don't think Blue Moon should be allowed to even call itself Belgian style. Because it is not. Nor are their orange pumpkin nut ****ing abominations. It tastes nothing like other Belgian Wits. Hoegaarden may be ABI now but it's been around in Belgium for ages. Blue Moon was brewed at a brewpub in a baseball stadium in Denver. And Stella? I believe they call it "wife beater" over there.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I love the trappist beers. I left a Westvleteren 12 in my fridge when I moved My ex wife now has it, she probably drank it.

I don't think Blue Moon should be allowed to even call itself Belgian style. Because it is not. Nor are their orange pumpkin nut ****ing abominations. It tastes nothing like other Belgian Wits. Hoegaarden may be ABI now but it's been around in Belgium for ages. Blue Moon was brewed at a brewpub in a baseball stadium in Denver. And Stella? I believe they call it "wife beater" over there.
Blue Moon still brews in the same brewpub, I was there in October, but now it is mostly experimental stuff at the brewpub.

Hoegaarden was first brewed in the 1960s, but the style is old.

Not a fan of Stella, as I am not a fan of most pilsner imports, other than Pilsner Urquell, because they aren't significantly different from an American Pilsner that I can get fresh and shipping frequently negatively impacts the flavor profile. Stella does have a nice neck label and the chalice is attractive...

I like what Pilsner Urquell is doing with their shipping, I can definitely taste the difference after they changed the way they are shipping:
Czech beer packaging overhauled to preserve flavor - 2012-07-17 14:01:00 | Packaging Digest

Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Not what I said. There are lots and lots of American brewers, hundreds in number, who are artful. Unfortunately they only have about 5% of the market, while two global giants own the rest.
So can only a small brewer be artful? Personally, I think there are many craft beer drinkers that are blinded by brewer, they upgrade or downgrade a beer based on who makes it. I find a lot of prejudice and snobbery with beer drinkers, just like many wine drinkers...whether they know a lot or not.

Somewhere along the line I decided I needed to try to judge beer on the beer itself, not by brewer. It has changed my perceptions about many many brewers, as you can tell by me defending some beers from a large brewer and picking on some of the small ones.

I have also had the pleasure of meeting a lot of commercial brewers, both big and small. That has really helped me in learning about beer and changed the way I view it...maybe more open minded.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM

4,935 posts, read 6,775,676 times
Time for some blind taste tests/judging

Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,132,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prancing Pony View Post
I drank a full can of beer on Saturday. It was a Blue Moon Belgian White. It took me around 5-10 minutes. I started out by sipping it. I swished some of it around in my mouth. I let it sit on my tongue. I gulped it a few times. By the end, I felt like spewing it out of my mouth. I remember, when I was little, going to the beach, and I'd accidentally take a few gulps of the salt water while swimming. It tasted like that.

It's not an experience that I want to repeat.
I'll drink it on tap if there's a special and there isn't much else good. They always serve it with an orange, which is a trick to improve every mediocre beer, but it's standard with Blue Moon. There are definitely worse ways you could spend your money at a bar (or a Buffalo Wild Wings).

Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,545,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
They always serve it with an orange, which is a trick to improve every mediocre beer, but it's standard with Blue Moon.
That's because it is brewed with oranges, so it already has that flavor in the profile.

Other wheat beers are more typically served with a lemon slice, because the unfiltered yeast already carries a lemony tart flavor.

And Mexican brews are often served with a slice of lime because of the long associations of tequila, salt, lime, and beer together.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,564,337 times
My first beer was a Newcastle Brown Ale lol I don't know anything about the different styles of beer. One of my best pals is an EPIC beer snob and I'll usually go to him on what different beers to try. Honestly though, outside of some IPA's and the occasional Arrogant Bastard, I'm more into the more popular beers. Like, Newcastle, St Pauley Girl, Heneken, Stella, Sam Adams. Budlight to me tastes like ****, regular Budweiser isn't bad at all IMO though. However, I only drink beer socially. I don't drink it to get drunk. I don't like the bloated feeling I get and my hangovers seem worse off of beer. I can drink an entire bottle of Crown Royal or Pendelton whiskey during a night and feel less drunk than if I had 12 Newcastles...I don't know. It's weird.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,066,307 times
I'm a bit surprised nobody mentioned draft beer. OP, do yourself a favor and go to a local bar one of these evenings and get a beer on draft (just not one of those mass produced swill water ones). Draft beer is 20 times better then your regular bottled or canned beers.

Personally, when I was younger, in my teens and early 20s, beer served one purpose only, to get drunk. It all tasted like crap to me, and I classified good beer as the kind that only required you to swallow it once, and the bad beer the kind you had to swallow a 2nd time, to keep it down. But a couple of years ago, around when I turned 25 or so, I actually began to appreciate beer. Having it on draft helped as well. I was only a social drinker, and now I don't mind grabbing a beer out of the fridge randomly. Regardless, everyones tastes are different. I think IPA's are disgusting, but I love a good Porter. Personally, if you want to have greater appreciating of beer, focus on the beers that go down easy. Yuengling, Red Stripe, Molson Golden is a hell of a good beer as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages