U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM

8,344 posts, read 9,077,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
My sweet spot for wine is around $15 to $20, and my price range is mostly driven by availability. I buy a lot of bordeaux, and you just can't get a quality bottle for less than $18ish (in Pennsylvania). Occasionally, I'll go as high as $40, because that's really the basement price for certain wines, such as Amarone, that I really enjoy.

For California wines I'm generally able to satisfy my tastes for around $15 with a quality Cabernet or Zinfandel.

I think there's a sharp drop off in quality below $10 and a sharp drop off in value above $40.
My thoughts, exactly. IMO There is a huge difference between a $6 bottle and a $15 bottle (in CA wines). My friends and I can easily tell. And Yep, I've been underwhelmed by many a $40 bottle.

One huge difference between cheap and mid price wines is how they taste the next day. Cheap wines tend to lose a lot of flavor after being opened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 AM

3,991 posts, read 4,093,314 times
I just wanted to add here, late as usual haha, that I've been buying CR Cellars Fortissimo red wine & it is a Mondavi product & real good! It can't be beat for price, taste, quality, everyday table, etc. wine.

So can anyone offer their thoughts on it? Anyone drink Mondavi wines & find this one not too bad? It is a great deal @ 14.49/4L jug @ our AZ Totalwine stores & seems to sell well. My only issue is I tend to drink too much of it.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 AM

662 posts, read 936,757 times
In general, I find that a higher priced white is better than cheaper. Reds... Not so much.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,472,770 times
Default Quotation and Reply to Original Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
I have to admit its hard for me to tell the difference between a $10 bottle of wine, and a $65 bottle. Did this test years ago.

Cheap Wine vs. Expensive Wine: Can You Really Tell The Difference?

I think it has to do more with social status.
I'm not a wine expert by any means and have a difficult time imagining distinguishing various terroirs via taste. However, I certainly can "tell the difference" between a $3 bottle and $12 bottle and a $12 bottle and an appelation wine - let alone the difference between a $3 bottle and $65 bottle. It would seem to me somebody who can't tell the difference between $3 and $65 bottles of wine isn't really all that into wine and shouldn't be drinking anything beyond "two(three?)-buck chuck" or Sutter Home. But then I think the article might be a covert advertisement for Trader Joe's brand of wine. In that sense, it might actually work on me - because I just realized again I have yet to try it.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,451,304 times
Most expensive isn't always the best, but I have never found a $10 bottle that was as good as a $65 bottle. Ever. Compare $65 and $120 bottles and it can be more difficult to determine which was which blind.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:40 AM

777 posts, read 837,844 times
There is a bottle of wine selling for $65,000 at Dan Murphy's, which is a major Australian big box liquor store. They also stock over 180 varieties costing over $500.

10 bucks says it doesn't taste any better than a $20 bottle of red.

Proof...
Penfolds Grange 1951 | Dan Murphy's | Buy Wine, Champagne, Beer & Spirits Online

Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 AM

43,403 posts, read 52,393,689 times
I don't much care for wine, but my wife likes Cabernet.
So we have it a lot, and since I do most of the shopping, I am the one who buys it.
We are always trying new stuff.
I disagree completely about the difference in taste relative to price.
While we have found a couple of cabs under 20 bucks that taste good, most of the tastiest are closer to $40-80. The two buck chuck is not good, but it's better than most stuff we have tried under ten bucks.

Then there is the issue of consistency.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:38 AM

5,231 posts, read 2,661,722 times
Personally, if I am going to buy a relatively expensive wine it is because of the one thing it has that might actually justify that price, age.

I was in Spain and went to a sherry bodega early this year and purchase a thirty year old Tio Pepe Palo Cortado sherry for 40 euros (about $50). It was really excellent stuff. A dry sherry with great complexity and aroma, as you would expect for a wine that's thirty years old (not your grandma's sweet sherry). Also, it was a very good value. Probably due to the fact that sherry isn't particulary en vogue right now. Which just means that you can find some excellent values for sherry, especially at the higher end.

That being said, just because a wine is older doesn't mean it will always be better. But at least there is more justification for a higher price in my oppinion.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:49 PM

71,671 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't much care for wine, but my wife likes Cabernet.
So we have it a lot, and since I do most of the shopping, I am the one who buys it.
We are always trying new stuff.
I disagree completely about the difference in taste relative to price.
While we have found a couple of cabs under 20 bucks that taste good, most of the tastiest are closer to $40-80. The two buck chuck is not good, but it's better than most stuff we have tried under ten bucks.

Then there is the issue of consistency.
actually for daily use, 2 buck chuck (now higher) is pretty drinkable, but you are right, it certainly isn't great. We drink one thing for our nightly enjoyment and quite another when we have guests or take wine to someone's home. On weekends we will drink a little better quality, still I really don't know that I can tell the difference between $50. a bottle and $10 in most cases.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:47 PM

43,403 posts, read 52,393,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
actually for daily use, 2 buck chuck (now higher) is pretty drinkable, but you are right, it certainly isn't great. We drink one thing for our nightly enjoyment and quite another when we have guests or take wine to someone's home. On weekends we will drink a little better quality, still I really don't know that I can tell the difference between $50. a bottle and $10 in most cases.
I know a lot of people who like the chuck. My wife said it wasn't bad, but when I proposed that be the only wine we ever buy (kidding), she backtracked. LOL! I tease.

Experiment for you:

Drink a Yellow Tail Cab. Actually, any bottle of cab less than $12.
Then drink a Frog's Leap Cab.

You WILL tell the difference. I promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages