Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 AM

759 posts, read 1,355,554 times

Advertisements

I've never been a whiskey guy. Bad experiences with Jack Daniel's and my mother's scotch as a teenager made me swear off it decades ago. I had tried all of the varieties, Bourbon, Scotch, Irish, Canadian, Sour Mash, etc., and truly it was the kind of stuff I found hard to swallow. Like the get it in your mouth and wonder if you might throw up before you can spit it out hard to swallow.
But about 15-16 years ago I was sitting at the bar with an old man, an old friend named Jack Sandy, professional cabdriver for 53 years. Sandy had a cold, and along with his Bud bottle he ordered a straight shot of Pikesville rye whiskey. Then, as was his custom when the crowd was down to just a few friends he bought a round for the house. I thought I'd try a rye as I had somehow never tasted it, despite my unquenchable thirst for hard liquor, especially as I wasn't buying.
Fully prepared for the nausea inducing sensation of other whiskies, I was astounded to find something with a dry, smooth, mellow, spicy, slightly nutty flavor and an almost butter-like finish. I was hooked, and enjoy rye to this day.
My favorites are the older (and cheaper) brands Pikesville (no longer made here in Baltimore, but still tastes the same), Old Overholt's, then Jim Beam and Wild Turkey 101 (for mixing only!).
I enjoy it best straight up, neat in a collins glass, water (no ice!) back, tho' a perfect Manhattan up, no cherry, is refreshing in summer, and a Sazerac for a serious session if the bar has real Peychaud's.
So any other rye enthusiasts out there? Please post your experiences, product reviews, and cocktail recipes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,222,433 times
The only two I've really tried are Bulleit and Redemption Rye. Both are very good.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,688,400 times
Rye burns the back of my tongue and makes the side of my mouth water. In fact, the reason I prefer Makers Mark is because it uses red wheat in place of rye.

That said, I think I could probably learn to enjoy it. I like whiskey because of the complex flavors, kind of like a good coffee or red wine. Rye whiskey, being relatively distinct from your standard bourbons, offers a very different flavor profile that at some point I can find myself enjoying.

Maybe I'll give it a try in the near future.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,852,216 times
I have very little experience, but I've been trying to drink more of it. It was historically America's most popular liquor (the Mid-Atlantic had a long tradition with it). For that reason alone, I want to give it a chance.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:38 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,157,293 times
I prefer sipping a nice Tequila or Scotch neat but there are a couple of rye whiskeys I like: 40 Creek Barrel Select is a nice, mid-priced rye with a full, rich, not-harsh glow from start to finish. I also recently tried, and liked, a spiced whiskey, Spicebox.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,413,140 times
One sip of rye and I... tip my fedora back, light up a Lucky Strike, and try my best not to remember that songbird from the Deveraux Club who... wait!... that mug that just walked in... is he carrying a gat?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,315,490 times
Saying "rye" is good or bad is like saying tequila is good or bad. There is a massive breadth of quality involved. I know people who only drank Cuervo in their youth, and now they avoid tequilas entirely. Idiots.

Bulleit rye rocks. Literally and figuratively. Hit their website, or esquire.com for some great recipes.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,466,121 times
Read some article a few months ago that said that Rye was the whiskey your grandfather drank and is the whiskey that Don Draper is drinking in Mad Men. So gave it a whirl, but first I had to track it down. None of the local liquor stores or grocery stores carried it. Finally found it at the local beer/wine/liquor superstore in Phoenix.

For everyday drinking usually stick with Jim Beam's Rye, it' only about $13 a bottle around here plus I finally found a local grocery store that always has it. Over the past few months I have worked my way through a bottle of Bullet, Rittenhouse and Old Overholt. So far I have to say that Rittenhouse is my favorite so far. Usually just have it on the rocks or cut with a little water. It's quickly overtaking Bourbon as my whiskey of choice.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,289,506 times
Rye has made a huge comeback in the last few years. If you're in New York, check out Rye House (Rye House) It's a great bar and restaurant that specializes in Rye cocktails.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,413,880 times
My rye would be VO or Canadian Club, in my mind interchangeable and I buy whichever is less expensive at the time. If someone else is buying it would be Crown Royal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages