Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 05:16 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 04:36 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't consider you an alcoholic if it's not having any effects on you business or personal life. However, I'm shocked that everybody here thinks four beers a day is a lot, so I wonder what that says about me (gasp)! Maybe it's because I'm not that far removed from college, but four beers seems pretty tame to me.

4 beers a day seems to be the upper limit of moderation. Studies say 1-3 beers daily is good, 5+ might reduce lifespan. So I guess 4 is bad for some & good for others. If you worry about if it will harm you, but don't want to or can't cut back, I recommend Himalaya Liver Care. One person was told quit drinking or die, later at Doc showed the biggest improvement in 2 weeks of any patient he had, & Doc says congrats on quitting drinking! But they didn't quit, just cut down, & liver improved more than those who quit.

Also Alpha Lipoic Acid was about miraculous when injected, so I guess the pills work, just not as quickly.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
You don't need to drink 10 beers a night to become an alcoholic, you can have one beer a week and can be an alcoholic. The question mainly is are you putting alcohol before everything else, is it all you think about, and do you use it to make yourself happy.

Check this out too:

Alcoholics Anonymous : Is A.A. For You?

20 Questions Are You An Alcoholic? - Alcoholics Anonymous in Lanark Leeds Golden Triangle District 66

If someone was putting 1 beer a week before everything else, they'd be spending 100 hours thinking about the beer that took half an hour to drink. To me that sounds like too much restraint! Drink that beer, then forget about alcohol for less than 167 hours!

Did Jesus turn the water into wine, or into Welch's Grape Juice?

Old 08-18-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
You don't need to drink 10 beers a night to become an alcoholic, you can have one beer a week and can be an alcoholic. The question mainly is are you putting alcohol before everything else, is it all you think about, and do you use it to make yourself happy.

Check this out too:

Alcoholics Anonymous : Is A.A. For You?

20 Questions Are You An Alcoholic? - Alcoholics Anonymous in Lanark Leeds Golden Triangle District 66

AA says they get 5% to quit drinking forever without a relapse. But some who are familiar with what they are/do say the real success rate is more like 1%. They rely on a program from the 1930s, that can't be changed, based on new info. It's like they are a cult, removed from the real world, very closed minds.

Willie Nelson used to get very drunk quite regularly, plus smoked 3 packs a day of (tobacco) cigarettes. Now, he no longer uses tobacco, & is a moderate drinker. AA would say that isn't possible, that no way does cannabis work, is of the devil, etc. Will they ever crawl out from under their rock to see the real world? Best wishes.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
I haven't read all the replies, but I would think that if one feels the need to ask if there is a problem, there is a problem.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:27 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I haven't read all the replies, but I would think that if one feels the need to ask if there is a problem, there is a problem.
they could just be a hypochondriac.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:02 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
For the past six months I've been having 2-3 beers per day at least 5 days per week. Tonight, I am currently on my 4th beer and feeling very guilty. Usually on weekends I drink more but am worried I am becoming an alcoholic. I usually take a couple of days off per week, but I'm not sure it does any good. I want to get my drinking back to only a few on the weekends and none during the week. Do I sound like an alcoholic?
No. You sound like a worrywart.

I'm a bit of a worrywart too so its easy to spot another worrywart.

If you were drinking every night to the point of getting drunk then I would say you're an alcoholic.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:49 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Did Jesus turn the water into wine, or into Welch's Grape Juice?
To wine, but remember about Him, He walked everywhere He went.

Quote:
AA says they get 5% to quit drinking forever without a relapse. But some who are familiar with what they are/do say the real success rate is more like 1%.
Wrong. A.A. says that something like half that went to A.A. in 1935 got sober immediately, so that's 50%, and of the other half, half of those got sober after some stumbles. So that's 50% + 25% or 75%.

They also say, "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path." They should have said, "Rarely have we seen a person thoroughly followed our path.

Quote:
But some who are familiar with what they are/do say the real success rate is more like 1%.
That's a ridiculous claim. This would mean that there are 100 million alcoholics in the United States of America and that every single one of them has been sent or volunteered themselves to A.A.

I personally know that's impossible. If this were the case, Folgers and the J.M. Smucker Company would rule the world.

Quote:
They rely on a program from the 1930s, that can't be changed, based on new info. It's like they are a cult, removed from the real world, very closed minds.
Disagree. If it was a cult, it would have caused people's lives to get worse, not better, it would not have worked as well as it has and it would have changed or just went away like the Washingtonians. Ever heard of them? They failed because they DID change, decided to get into politics, didn't form traditions to protect themselves, and they all got drunk. A.k.a, it didn't work.

A.A. works.

Quote:
Willie Nelson used to get very drunk quite regularly, plus smoked 3 packs a day of (tobacco) cigarettes. Now, he no longer uses tobacco, & is a moderate drinker. AA would say that isn't possible, that no way does cannabis work, is of the devil, etc. Will they ever crawl out from under their rock to see the real world? Best wishes.
That's not true. A.A. would merely tip their hats to Willie. Oh, and they would suggest he pay his taxes once in a while.

Quote:
...that no way does cannabis work, is of the devil, etc. Will they ever crawl out from under their rock to see the real world? Best wishes.
Absolute bunk. Bill Wilson took LSD for peat sake to try and find a fast-track out of chronic depression, didn't drink on it, but determined that it wasn't the best idea to bring into the fellowship.

If you're gonna talk A.A., brush up. I've seen plenty of anti/Ex-A.A.ers and they have agenda written all over them. Usually these folks were sent away from A.A. because folks there felt they weren't a real alcoholic to begin with and didn't need the A.A. program, or they are radical atheists who cannot take the spiritual nature of the Program, which requires a belief in a "Higher Power", that which is God, or they are taking money from alcohol and or drug rehabilitation and they are trying to make money off of the alcoholic/addict.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-21-2013 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 05:49 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Hey Dog, I wonder if GJJG2012 is a 4 beer a day type ? That would explain a lot....

Old 09-02-2013, 03:08 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default Stepping back and taking an objective, rational look

So many of the responses in this thread seem to be based on using the alcohol consumption pattern of the individual responding as a sort of "norm". In other words, the thinking seems to be, "I drink X amount, so anything very much above that is too much but anything in that range is just normal and nothing to worry about." In a few cases, X amount is staggeringly large.

However, there is a way out of this radical relativity, and that is science. There is epidemiological as well as clinical evidence about how much alcohol consumption may be harmful and how much may be beneficial. (Yes, alcohol consumption of one or two drinks a day is actually beneficial health-wise). There are certain organizations which base their conclusions on evidence, not on speculation or pre-conceived notions, and I will cite two of them: The U.S. Surgeon General's Office and the American Heart Association.

According to those organizations, long-term alcohol consumption above two drinks a day for men and one drink a day for women is not recommended. Above age 65, that drops down to one drink a day for men as well. One drink is defined as one 12-ounce beer, four or five ounces of wine, or one and a half ounces of 80 proof spirits or one ounce of 100 proof spirits.

I can already hear the enraged cries of heavy drinkers about how absurd those limits are, but they are based on the best science currently available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages