U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:01 PM

18 posts, read 118,790 times

Advertisements

People on here don't seem to understand the definition of an alcoholic. Being an alcoholic has zero to do with how much you drink. It deals with the NEED to drink and the inability to stop. One can drink a 6 pack every day and not be an alcoholic. And someone may only drink once a month AND be an alcoholic. My best friend drinks 6-8 beers every night for months at a time. BUT then he will get bored with drinking and go two or three months in a row and wont drink a drop. He is of course abusing alcohol, but he does not meet the criteria for alcoholism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 02:32 PM

4,014 posts, read 7,654,044 times
I have to scale it back, and I am getting there. I may go to an AA meeting, but I do not want to quit forever so I feel insincere going to the meetings. I figure I could meet some hippie chicks and drink some coffee. I am not drinking today. Tommorrow would also be good, but I'll probably stop in the bar on my way home. Monday and Tuesday I may be able to pull it off. I think I am a situational/atmospheric problem drinker. I am not working steadily. I am drawn by bars. I do not drink at home even though it is cheaper to buy a six pack. I need to sit in a bar with other people, play the jukebox, sing along to songs, talk to the bartender, talk about politics, and get involved in the gossip of the bar. I know the bartender schedules. I know who is working and I know that Clyde usually drinks a pitcher at the bar up the street before coming to this bar. Sometimes I go to the other bar too.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:02 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,141,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
This test maybe be overly simplified, like no, I never drink alone, but make sure I'm always surrounded by alcoholics. It doesn't make people late for their job if they don't have one. People annoying by criticizing drinking? If one is overly sensitive, all criticism may bother, even if unreasonable.
Yeah, the questions are a little ridiculous.

Most alcoholics I know don't get hangovers. The body adapts.

Honestly, I drink much more than the average person and have only had a true hangover once or twice in the last 10 years.

Also, as for worrying my family or friends, the ones who have expressed concern are also borderline alcoholics.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:08 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,141,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I have to scale it back, and I am getting there. I may go to an AA meeting, but I do not want to quit forever so I feel insincere going to the meetings. I figure I could meet some hippie chicks and drink some coffee. I am not drinking today. Tommorrow would also be good, but I'll probably stop in the bar on my way home. Monday and Tuesday I may be able to pull it off. I think I am a situational/atmospheric problem drinker. I am not working steadily. I am drawn by bars. I do not drink at home even though it is cheaper to buy a six pack. I need to sit in a bar with other people, play the jukebox, sing along to songs, talk to the bartender, talk about politics, and get involved in the gossip of the bar. I know the bartender schedules. I know who is working and I know that Clyde usually drinks a pitcher at the bar up the street before coming to this bar. Sometimes I go to the other bar too.
I'm a bit like you. I love bars. The social aspect is great.

I also don't want to quit drinking.

I also don't believe in god, so AA would be out.

With that said, I have to scale it back because of my health, and I can do it. I know all alcoholics say that, but I really can. I have stopped drinking many times for periods up to several months and have had no problems. I never felt the urge to drink. I don't NEED to drink, I just LIKE to drink.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,970,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I also don't believe in god, so AA would be out.
AA doesn't require one to believe in God - only a "higher power" as the recovering alcohol "sees it".

That can be anything, animate, inanimate, spiritual, or non-spiritual.

That said, AA is not for everyone(it's not for Harrier either), but I just don't want anyone who may be considering it to be put off by the higher power aspect - it isn't that big of a deal.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,771,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
For the past six months I've been having 2-3 beers per day at least 5 days per week. Tonight, I am currently on my 4th beer and feeling very guilty. Usually on weekends I drink more but am worried I am becoming an alcoholic. I usually take a couple of days off per week, but I'm not sure it does any good. I want to get my drinking back to only a few on the weekends and none during the week. Do I sound like an alcoholic?
It's not how much you drink, it's what happens to you when you drink.
How you feel, how you act, etc.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:29 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,494,200 times
being Scottish I have a lot of family members who like a "bevy". They'll go to the pub after work and drink 7 pints. Then they go home and have their dinner. The alcoholics are the ones that stay at the pub til closing time drinking shots of whiskey until they pass out at the bar.

In a drinking culture like Scotland (and most of Europe frankly) it's always easy to spot the alcoholics.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 PM

4,014 posts, read 7,654,044 times
I am on assignment in a town nearby. I only had 2 on sunday and none on Monday. I was antsy today and went to one of these town's ghetto bars where they had rap videos and black barmaid. Patrons were all ghetto talking about various issues. I had 4 buds and a shot of jager before running out. Hopefully tomorrow I will not drink as well as thursday. I am in a weening off phase. ha

Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,023,420 times
"Am I drinking too much? Do I sound like an alcoholic?"

If you have to ask....

Old 06-26-2013, 04:58 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,494,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Am I drinking too much? Do I sound like an alcoholic?"

If you have to ask....
No, if you ask if you're an alcoholic it doesn't mean you're an alcoholic. Some people over-analyze themselves. Some are hypochondriacs.

You're an alcoholic if you're addicted to alcohol and can't stop drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages