U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,006,606 times

Advertisements

For the past six months I've been having 2-3 beers per day at least 5 days per week. Tonight, I am currently on my 4th beer and feeling very guilty. Usually on weekends I drink more but am worried I am becoming an alcoholic. I usually take a couple of days off per week, but I'm not sure it does any good. I want to get my drinking back to only a few on the weekends and none during the week. Do I sound like an alcoholic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,176,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
For the past six months I've been having 2-3 beers per day at least 5 days per week. Tonight, I am currently on my 4th beer and feeling very guilty. Usually on weekends I drink more but am worried I am becoming an alcoholic. I usually take a couple of days off per week, but I'm not sure it does any good. I want to get my drinking back to only a few on the weekends and none during the week. Do I sound like an alcoholic?

Yes....the fact that you are so involved ib how many beers and taking nights off.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,092,879 times
Not yet, but, you know yourself better than anyone, so, just pay attention to your inner voice.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,006,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Not yet, but, you know yourself better than anyone, so, just pay attention to your inner voice.
Thanks. I know I need to lay off the alcohol because if I keep this up if I am not an alcoholic yet I will be.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 AM

71,683 posts, read 83,258,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
come on over to my house and we will discuss your drinking habits over a few beers (wine for me)

Old 01-26-2013, 10:09 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,592,789 times
nope, but if you think it will become a problem, take the necessary steps to cut down. 2-3 beers a night isn't bad.

i had 6 beers last night, and i was showing restraint. i could've downed the whole 12 pack last night, but i wanted to save some for today. it's not hard for me to not drink during the weed, just find something else to do to distract yourself.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:23 PM

12,193 posts, read 10,364,632 times
It depends more how you feel when you haven't had anything to drink. I'm a two-beer-a-day kinda guy too, but I found myself having trouble relaxing (i.e. falling asleep) when I didn't have any, so I've decided to cut back.
I wouldn't worry so much about labels like "alcoholic", but if your conscience is telling you to cut back, it might not be a bad idea.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 PM

38,690 posts, read 88,993,714 times
If you have to ask, it's probably time to do something about it. 2-3 drinks a night isn't terribly excessive; but at this rate it is likely to become 3-4, then 5-6, then who knows. And beer is probably the worst alcoholic beverage to drink habitually, especially once you're at 3 or more per day. Malt is an excellent way to put on weight and compound your health issues.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 AM

3,525 posts, read 7,658,614 times
There is no qualification scorecard involved here. If you are concerned, then you should assess the situation. Are you experiencing negative changes in your life?

The fact that you feel guilty is a red flag, but does not mean you are an alcoholic. Everyone is different. Cultures around the world and in America have different views on the subject. It's very individualized.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,782,508 times
The fact that you're even asking this question automatically raises red flags. I'd have to disagree with other posters here, 2-3 beers every single day is starting to border on alcoholism. That's 14-21 beers per week. Have you ever thought about how many extra empty calories that is? It will take a significant toll on your health over a long period of time.

I've seen too many friends of mine start drinking beers in college every night of the week or start drinking beers every night once they started working. They all started off with 1-2 beers, now 4-8 beers can be common to them every night. Needless to say, they're definitely packing on the pounds and who knows what condition their liver is now. Fast forward 20 years later just by looking at some of the fathers of these guys who drink everynight and they're killing 12 packs and are massively overweight with beer bellies. They also have terrible circulation problems, you can see it in their faces, they look purple/reddish, and their beer guts are hard and filled with fluid from all the damage they've done to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages