Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Seagram's VO. Hubby enjoys Jack Daniels too, me not so much.
I've visited the Jack Daniels distillery. It's a nice tour but it's a bit out of the way. The weirdest part of the tour is that the distillery is in a dry county...no samples! You do get a whiskey flavored chocolate at the end though.

I use to like Jack but it's just to harsh and rough for me now. I guess it would be good as a mixer but I don't know anybody that drinks it neat.

I suggest checking out bardstown kentucky. A beautiful town with lots of distilleries to tour and tons of SAMPLES! I did enjoy that bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 01:25 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
I've heard that, about the Jack Daniels distillery.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I've visited the Jack Daniels distillery. It's a nice tour but it's a bit out of the way. The weirdest part of the tour is that the distillery is in a dry county...no samples! You do get a whiskey flavored chocolate at the end though.
Jack Daniels once ran the White Rabbit Saloon in Lynchburg, before Prohibition. After Prohibition the county elected to stay dry. Eventually the bar and backbar from the White Rabbit were moved to the distillery, where it's now the end of the tour. The traditional offering, for many years, was a glass of lemonade, since they couldn't offer you a "taste."

It also used to be that you could not buy any whiskey at the distillery, but now, by a special act of the state legislature, they are allowed to sell a special commemorative bottle, at about double the retail price of regular Jack. Currently it's "Jack Daniel's White Rabbit Saloon," in a special bottle and label, at 86 proof.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I've heard that, about the Jack Daniels distillery.
We have been there, several years ago and it is pretty amazing to see such a top disiellery in a dry county. I guess it shows how behind times some places can be. of course, I am not one to talk, here in AR we have a lot of dry counties, our county just went wet in Novemeber..Now we are hoping Trader Joe's recognizes this. A few of us have let them know. It goes without saying, the area would support TJoe's, they sure support Fresh Market...and now back to Whisky: I think most of our friends drink J. Daniels if they have a choice.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have been there, several years ago and it is pretty amazing to see such a top disiellery in a dry county. I guess it shows how behind times some places can be. of course, I am not one to talk, here in AR we have a lot of dry counties, our county just went wet in Novemeber..Now we are hoping Trader Joe's recognizes this. A few of us have let them know. It goes without saying, the area would support TJoe's, they sure support Fresh Market...and now back to Whisky: I think most of our friends drink J. Daniels if they have a choice.
Yah, it doesn't seem to make any sense. How can you be a dry county with one of the most iconic distilleries pumping out tons of its spirit to the rest of the world but you can't have a sample of it or buy it there (except for the commemerative bottle)? I doubt that that county would be dry if Jack Daniels ever decided to move along with its jobs somewhere else. We may not have prohibition on a national level in this country anymore but we still do have some weird liquor laws. Maybe I'll start that as another thread .

That being said, I would still recommend the tour. I can even remember the lady that gave us ours. She was quite a character. Maybe they could spike those chocolates they give you at the end of the tour with a bit more Jack?

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 02-07-2013 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 PM

If you enjoy traveling and whiskey then why not combine the two?

Kentucky Bourbon Trail

It's a lot of fun. Plus, there are some lovely towns in that part of kentucky too, like Bardstown. They give you a free passport and when you go to a distillery you get a stamp at each one. When you're finished with the tour you mail it in and you get a free t-shirt too (obviously it doesn't quite pay for the gas you consumed doing it but its still cool). I haven't finished it but I did get to see Heaven Hill (great visitors center) and Makers Mark (great old distillery and tour).

PS And no I am not a paid sponsor of the kentucky bourbon trail.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
I enjoy on occasion. When I do it's Jack Daniel's regular followed by Gentleman Jack.
I also like Jim Beam and Royal Crown.

I am a big fan of Johnny Walker Black Label scotch. So smooth!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I enjoy on occasion. When I do it's Jack Daniel's regular followed by Gentleman Jack.
I also like Jim Beam and Royal Crown.

I am a big fan of Johnny Walker Black Label scotch. So smooth!
Our son in law is a huge J Walker Black fan, or even higher quality when he can get it. His son in law, is a Scotch expert and brings his own when we get togehter for a meal. Luckily for us and for our son in law, whateve Jack brings he leaves. Hubby drinks Scotch as well. He also drink Jim Beam...Right now he has, sitting in his bar a bottle of J Walker Gold, a Christmas gift from our son...

Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Our son in law is a huge J Walker Black fan, or even higher quality when he can get it. His son in law, is a Scotch expert and brings his own when we get togehter for a meal. Luckily for us and for our son in law, whateve Jack brings he leaves. Hubby drinks Scotch as well. He also drink Jim Beam...Right now he has, sitting in his bar a bottle of J Walker Gold, a Christmas gift from our son...
Nice. I haven't tried gold but I've heard good things about it. If you get a chance try the green label. There are only single malts in it that are at least 15 years old, I believe...excellent stuff.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 02-07-2013 at 01:05 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 12:55 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Crown on the rocks or a Bourbon is my preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages