Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 11:24 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,839 times

Advertisements

I hate going to a bar and then having to order bottled beer because the bar doesn't serve draft. I'm ignorant to why some bars don't serve draft beer. Is there an extra license needed? Is it a cost issue? Or something else? Or are they just lazy bastards that don't want to serve draft?

I can drink bottled beer at home if I wanted to. I don't want to pay $5 or even $6 for a bottled beer at a bar. I go to a bar to drink something I can't drink at home.

I've only ever encountered this in North America. I've travelled a bit around Europe and you would never walk into a bar in England or Scotland or Germany (or insert any country in the EU) and find that they don't serve draft beer. They all do. So, what's up America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 06:21 AM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
To do it correctly is quite costly and labor intensive with a separate cooler often required, maintenance of a tap system and it's lines, as well the physicality required to schlep heavy kegs around. Most bars and restaurants do not have the physical layout required with the kegs not placed in close proximity to the bar area and often located a good distance from the bar which not only messes with logistics, but cooling quality as well.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:40 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Cost.

Where I am, it's very uncommon for even the diviest dives to not have taps, though.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:02 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
I can see a restaurant not having taps but its inexcusable for a bar to only serve bottles. Thankfully I have never been to one.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:12 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,194 times
I've worked in two bars over the years that have not had draft beer. In both cases it was just impossible to run tap lines economically in an old building. They were great bars....had a great selection....they just didn't have draft beer. It's really not the end of the world.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I've worked in two bars over the years that have not had draft beer. In both cases it was just impossible to run tap lines economically in an old building. They were great bars....had a great selection....they just didn't have draft beer. It's really not the end of the world.
I've drank in some very old pubs that had taps. That's not a very good excuse.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:39 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I've drank in some very old pubs that had taps. That's not a very good excuse.
It's not an excuse....iit's a fact of the space and economics. Yes, I've also worked in historic bars that had draft systems....sometimes from the very start...I never said that no old bars have them...but some can't be retro fitted and other times the owner doesn't have the money.

One place I worked at was a on an army base in germany...building was thrown up right after WWII....the bar back then was planks on saw horses...later (because I am not that old...lol) the bar was made more permanent....but no draft system. The only time we had keg beer was for special events when it was worth setting up tubs of ice some place outside the bar area.

At another country bar our large coolers and freezer was a separate building behind the place. Now some bars might get around that by having single kegs in a fridge behind the bar (a pain but do-able)...but in thelse case the bar was very narrow and couldn't even hold a chest cooler for bottle beers..we had reach-in cases (like you see at gas stations) behind us. The owner didn't want to give up floor space to move the bar out....funny thing is...we were were packed most days of the week.

I like draft beer....in fact I almost always order it when available. ...but there is so much more that goes into a good bar....that I simply won't discount a good one because they don't have it. It's stupid and short sighted and shows you are limited.....not the bar.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
It's not an excuse....iit's a fact of the space and economics. Yes, I've also worked in historic bars that had draft systems....sometimes from the very start...I never said that no old bars have them...but some can't be retro fitted and other times the owner doesn't have the money.

One place I worked at was a on an army base in germany...building was thrown up right after WWII....the bar back then was planks on saw horses...later (because I am not that old...lol) the bar was made more permanent....but no draft system. The only time we had keg beer was for special events when it was worth setting up tubs of ice some place outside the bar area.

At another country bar our large coolers and freezer was a separate building behind the place. Now some bars might get around that by having single kegs in a fridge behind the bar (a pain but do-able)...but in thelse case the bar was very narrow and couldn't even hold a chest cooler for bottle beers..we had reach-in cases (like you see at gas stations) behind us. The owner didn't want to give up floor space to move the bar out....funny thing is...we were were packed most days of the week.

I like draft beer....in fact I almost always order it when available. ...but there is so much more that goes into a good bar....that I simply won't discount a good one because they don't have it. It's stupid and short sighted and shows you are limited.....not the bar.
um no. I just don't want to pay $6 for a bottle of Heineken

Old 11-12-2014, 07:05 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,730,641 times
A bar that doesn't have draft is not a bar in my book.

My local watering hole is a bar that only serves beer (and wine) and they sell me growlers of what they have tap. They change out kegs often and have breweries stop in to give away free glasses and stickers. The best part is the price. I can refill my 64oz growler of fresh brew for 9 bucks (ranges due to style of beer).

Old 11-13-2014, 07:16 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
A bar that doesn't have draft is not a bar in my book.

My local watering hole is a bar that only serves beer (and wine) and they sell me growlers of what they have tap. They change out kegs often and have breweries stop in to give away free glasses and stickers. The best part is the price. I can refill my 64oz growler of fresh brew for 9 bucks (ranges due to style of beer).
I agree, its just a shop that sells overpriced bottles to me if they dont have draft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages