Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 04:19 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
man, i didn't even know there was a section for alcoholic beverages on city data...i normally stay in the houston section.......BUTTTTT

i'm surprised nobody mentioned Heady Topper from The Alchemist in Vermont.....supposedly it competes with Pliny the Elder (which i haven't had). Heady Topper was really good, left a lingering hoppiness after taste.

here are a few of my favorites in no particular order:

Karbach Rodeo Clown - double ipa
Karbach Hopadillo - ipa
New Belgium Rampant - double ipa
Southern Tier Unearthly - double ipa
Knee Deep Hoptologist - double ipa
DFH Burton Baton - double ipa
7 seas Ballz Deep - double ipa
Wingman Ace - ipa
Avery Maharaja - double ipa

my all time favorite is Dogfish Head 120 minute ipa, followed by 75 minute ipa....
An interesting list. Never heard of any of them, except for Rampant and Dogfish. Obviously some parts of the country get some beers and others get others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
An interesting list. Never heard of any of them, except for Rampant and Dogfish. Obviously some parts of the country get some beers and others get others.
Karbach is almost exclusively in the Houston area. I got to try their IPA a couple of years ago in Houston and it was quite good.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Had Hop City Barking Squirrel last night..They say it's a lager but can pass for a mild IPA.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 AM

847 posts, read 1,751,193 times
had Karbach El Hopadillo Negro (black ipa) and Karbach Roshambo (belgian style ipa)..... both were ok. nothing to write home about...

Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
man, i didn't even know there was a section for alcoholic beverages on city data...i normally stay in the houston section.......BUTTTTT

i'm surprised nobody mentioned Heady Topper from The Alchemist in Vermont.....supposedly it competes with Pliny the Elder (which i haven't had). Heady Topper was really good, left a lingering hoppiness after taste.

here are a few of my favorites in no particular order:

Karbach Rodeo Clown - double ipa
Karbach Hopadillo - ipa
New Belgium Rampant - double ipa
Southern Tier Unearthly - double ipa
Knee Deep Hoptologist - double ipa
DFH Burton Baton - double ipa
7 seas Ballz Deep - double ipa
Wingman Ace - ipa
Avery Maharaja - double ipa

my all time favorite is Dogfish Head 120 minute ipa, followed by 75 minute ipa....
Pliny the Elder, it changed my beer drinking about 2 years ago in a way I wouldn't have expected. I was drinking a Pliny the Elder at Falling Rock and decided that I wasn't in the mood for IPAs anymore, which was a bit shocking since I had gotten so deep into the style at the time. I now drink lower IBU versions of IPAs and am mostly getting deeper into other styles now. I do like a bit of bitterness in my beer, but now stick in the 20-40-ish range, with the occassionally foray into more bitter beers.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
I got IPA'd out living in So Cal. Then I moved to Texas when there weren't many breweries and none of them made very many IPA's, none of which were very good and the one's from out of state brewers were rarely fresh. So, I drank a bunch of low hop beers. I moved back to So Cal and my hopheadedness has been reborn. But, now Texas has some decent IPA's.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 AM

now that youre back in Cali....send me some Pliny!! and i'll send you texas ipas !!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
Just had a Founders Double Trouble last night. If you like IPAs that are citrusy this one is not to be missed. It smelled great, tasted great and had a great aftertaste. One of the better IPAs out there. Get it while you can.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
This thread is making me thirsty.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Just had a Founders Double Trouble last night. If you like IPAs that are citrusy this one is not to be missed. It smelled great, tasted great and had a great aftertaste. One of the better IPAs out there. Get it while you can.
Founders is supposed to start popping up in stores next week here in Texas....so hopefully we'll see some of this...

Last edited by bluelion_ms3; 05-03-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages