U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 AM

12,971 posts, read 23,558,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck2007 View Post
Being new to wine, I obviously lack wine pairing knowledge lol.
It doesn't have to be complicated. In general, think of lighter flavored wines with more delicate tasting dishes... such as white wine with grilled fish, and bolder, stronger flavored wines with more robust dishes, like Chianti (red wine) with spaghetti marinara. You want the combination to be balanced, with neither overpowering the other.

A good clue as to why Pinot Noir and Valpolicella, two bold red wines, are commonly suggested to pair with your dish is that Chicken Marsala contains a lot of boldly flavored ingredients... smoked cheese, red pepper flakes, onions and garlic, sun dried tomatoes... and marsala wine, which is a very strong and bold fortified red wine. That's a pretty good hint right there!

I agree that you should drink what you like, but at the beginning how do you know what you'll like? That's what the classic pairings are designed for, to keep you within fairly safe boundaries until you have developed your own sense of what you'll like. They're not rules, just guidelines. Then each time you try a new combination, make some mental notes about how you liked the taste, and what you might do differently if you could. Over time you'll develop your own sense of what you prefer with what.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:37 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,095,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Don't overthink it - - Whole Foods, and other stores like it, have tastings every day. Seek those places out, get a wine that you LIKE, and there's your pairing!

I don't believe in the whole "white with chicken and fish/red with red mead" bs. Drink what you enjoy. I drank a deep, dark Grenache with fish tacos last night and it was AWESOME! Other times, I'm in white wine mood even with steak. No rules except treat yourself well.

Holy sky man...take a look at this guy, he used to drink white wine with steak

"I nuovi mostri" - Striscia la Notizia - YouTube

Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 AM

71,724 posts, read 83,359,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
This is the best suggestion of all. You can even specify a price range, and a good wine shop will suggest something affordable that you will like.
that is a great suggestion. OP, just have a price in mind, before you start. If you are dealing with guests that are also new at wine pairing, you can be safe with wine selling for around $10 or a little less a bottle. We rarely serve wine that is much more expensive than that. A lot depends on your budget. If you do have Trader Joe's that would be a perfect place to start. They have salespeople that are both friendly and knowledgable.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 AM

71,724 posts, read 83,359,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Don't overthink it - - Whole Foods, and other stores like it, have tastings every day. Seek those places out, get a wine that you LIKE, and there's your pairing!

I don't believe in the whole "white with chicken and fish/red with red mead" bs. Drink what you enjoy. I drank a deep, dark Grenache with fish tacos last night and it was AWESOME! Other times, I'm in white wine mood even with steak. No rules except treat yourself well.
I completely agree with drinking what you want and like. I think way too much is made of the matching, but it is still the acceptable way to serve wine, so, for a new comer, I think sticking with the white versus red is probably the best bet...

Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,685,194 times
Sounds like the OP is genuinely interested in exploring the subject matter, so "drink what you like" doesn't seem like much of an answer. Go and explore it. Ask questions of knowledgeable folks (wine stewards/merchants, web sites devoted to wine, etc.).

Try their recommendations, not just for this dish, but for others. Maybe you'll find wine pairing interesting, maybe you'll find it overkill and useless. I commend you on having an interest. Whatever the outcome, as you've already stated you don't know much about the subject, so learn what you can and at the very least you'll eventually find what you like (or don't) even if it's not a classic pairing.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 PM

5,247 posts, read 2,669,703 times
Go out to a good wine bar too and experiment a little.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:16 AM

l feel that hovers a slight sense of embarrassment, of course op.. ppl can drink what they want, it is my opinion that every place in the world has its own traditions and customs, such as the tea ritual in England, and so the wine at the table for the French, if a guy goes to a French restaurant and ordered the wrong wine he will begin to hear a great murmur and a bit of laughter.

Please do not feel offended it is not matter of immense knowledge or wisdom, customs and traditions are rooted in the popular culture, it is logical that the European way is different, maybe it's thing...right and good

Last edited by miticoman; 02-13-2013 at 02:07 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 AM

Aaahhhh ... the right wine enhances the flavor of the food you are eating.....

Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 PM

13,964 posts, read 20,232,249 times
Primitivo - it's Italian

Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 AM

5,247 posts, read 2,669,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck2007 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to wine drinking and need a good wine suggestion for a meal I'm going to cook. I'm going to be making stuffed chicken marsala, it's actually a recipe from Olive Garden. Here are the ingredients,

For the cheese stuffing - smoked shredded cheese (calls for provolone or gouda, i will probably use gouda), mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, garlic, red pepper flakes, sun-dried tomato flakes, green onions, sour cream, salt, black pepper

And for the sauce - onion, Marsala wine, heavy cream, button mushrooms, Salt and pepper, olive oil, flour

What would be a good wine to go with this? I tried doing some researching and saw Pinot Noir is good, and secco bertani valpolicella (has anyone tried this wine?)

Being new to wine, I obviously lack wine pairing knowledge lol. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
So did you find something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or