U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,237,973 times

Advertisements

If so, what are you making?

Right now I'm making:

1 gallon Jalapeño
2 gallons ginger and Thai basil
7 gallons black currant
1 gallon Niagara and raspberry
1 gallon Niagara and peach
2 gallons açaí
4 gallons grapefruit

Getting ready to start:

2 gallons açaí, blueberry, wolfberry, pomegranate
5 gallons Super Tuscan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,237,973 times
Guess not.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,661,867 times
Well, I'm just getting started into it on a very small scale.

I have a gallon of blackberry wine working right now and I just started a gallon of strawberry. These are being made with fruit from my freezer and I'm thinking about starting a gallon of raspberry, too - depending on how much I have in my freezer because I also want to make jam with what I have.

I made dandelion wine last spring and the recipe said to wait a year before drinking it but it smells really bad (really, really bad) so I'm hoping someone can tell me if it's supposed to smell bad or if I messed it up (I followed a recipe out of a thirty year old Mother Earth News).

I see there are also recipes for zucchini wine and am thinking that may be another way to use some of the squash up this summer.

I have a question - what are yeast nutrients and how important is it to use them? The recipe that I followed for my blackberry wine didn't mention it:

How to Make Blackberry Wine...a Great Blackberry Wine Recipe

And neither did the strawberry wine recipe:

Strawberry Wine Recipe | Strawberry Plants .org

But I see it turning up in other recipes that I'm looking at.

I'm actually on my way to the wine store today to pick up more airlocks and anything else I might need.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM

Hmmmmm......

I think I'll make this next:

Jalapeno Wine Recipe

It says it is a good "cooking wine;" how is jalapeno wine for drinking?

Old 03-16-2013, 03:35 PM

133 posts, read 231,223 times
Default Wine Makers

I'm a little surprised at the varieties you guys are making. I haven't made wine in years - mostly because it's gotten so easy to buy good wine at a reasonable price (and I can buy it legally).

When I did make wine I stuck to the basic fruits - grapes and apples. Once my neighbor moved out, after selling their property to a real estate developer I tried making raspberry wine (They had a huge bramble in their back yard, along with a variety of fruit trees, and gave me run of the orchard once they were gone).

My favorite was a cysser which is an apple wine sweetened with honey - basically add a pound of honey per gallon of juice and go on normally.

My biggest failure was trying to make sake. It kind of tasted like sake, and had a ridiculous amount of alcohol in it. My friends at the time used it as a test of machismo - can you drink this dreck?
If you can you're a "real man" - according to the teenagers drinking it.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBookworm View Post

My biggest failure was trying to make sake. It kind of tasted like sake, and had a ridiculous amount of alcohol in it. My friends at the time used it as a test of machismo - can you drink this dreck?
If you can you're a "real man" - according to the teenagers drinking it.
Hmmmmm.......sounds like my dandelion wine perhaps.

I bought a vinometer and tested it and it says it has 10% alcohol content; I'm still not sure it's safe to drink, though. lol

I'm want to try this:

Skeeter Pee Recipe

Besides the fact that I love the name ("skeeterpee"), supposedly it only costs around $12.00 to make five gallons.

I bought all the stuff for the jalapeno wine but I haven't started it yet; maybe tonight.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 AM

133 posts, read 231,223 times
Quote:
Hmmmmm.......sounds like my dandelion wine perhaps.

I bought a vinometer and tested it and it says it has 10% alcohol content; I'm still not sure it's safe to drink, though. lol
My brother made a batch of dandelion wine. Let yours sit at least a year before you taste it.

His was AWFUL when it first finished fermenting. He wasn't willing to throw it out, so we bottled it and put it on the shelf (I figured he'd forget about eventually and I could toss it with impunity). About 14 months later he pulled out a bottle and it was actually quite tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages