Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,926,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Ethanol is ethanol, there's no difference in where it comes from. People get hangovers because there's simply too much ethanol in their system. Metabolism of ethanol into vinegar produces toxic intermediates, there's no avoiding it.
There's no avoiding acetaldehyde, but you should really look up 'congeners' and how they correlate with the quality and color of liquor.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,071,294 times
Eat dinner before you start drinking. The worst hangovers I've had came from drinking on an empty stomach. And drink lots of water. I do better when I stick to the same type of drink, doesn't really matter what it is.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM

85 posts, read 134,331 times
Agree with the above. Eat before drinking then eat again while you are drinking or after. Also pick a point when to stop and switch to water only. Switching from beer to liquor does screw up a lot of people but not so much myself or my friends. I think everyone's body is a little different. We usually start with beer than switch to liquor, while doing shots along the way.

Last edited by phili80; 03-08-2013 at 02:43 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 02:28 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,345,547 times
Liquor before beer, and you're in the clear.
Beer before liquor, never sicker.
(Jiffy John advice)!)

Old 03-08-2013, 03:01 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,833,328 times
A hangover is dehydration, mostly. Drink lots of water and avoid caffeinated drinks. Tannins make things a bit worse (primarily found in red wine and tea). Vodka is a little easier on you as more impurities have been filtered out and dark liquors are worse as some have been added in the aging process. But don't think you can avoid a hangover by simply drinking vodka.

Before you drink, eat something. That'll help you get less drunk, as the food slows down the alcohol absorption process. Fatty foods are particularly good as the fats will line your stomach. If you avoid getting smashed, you're less likely to be hungover.

There are other things you could try to do to avoid a hangover, but I can't imagine anyone actually doing to many of them when drunk. Drink a sports drink. It'll provide you water and salt with a few other possible minerals that you lost through urination or vomiting. Drink lots of water as well. Eat a bit of food (which will help your body absorb the water) and try not to go to bed drunk. You could also eat some burnt toast as the carbon can filter a bit of the impurities.

When you wake up, if you feel a hangover coming on, I usually like to 1) take a pain reliever, especially Excedrin because of the caffeine. 2) Drink a lot of water. 3) Eat bacon and other fatty food. 4) Find a way to release endorphins (I'm sure you'll find away).

Time is the only way to cure it, though. These steps just help alleviate some of the effects. Drink a lot of water throughout the day as there is a good chance your body is still trying to expel some of the alcohol.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:44 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy9981 View Post
Which drinks give less of a hangover? I heard that you should stay away from darker colored liquors like Whiskey, Bourbon, and Dark Rum and of course Long Island Ice Teas with alot of different liquors and drink more lighter colored liquors like Vodkda and Gin, Vodka gives me quite a hangover.. I heard to drink some water between drinks and at the end of the night, but is there any other tips to avoid a hangover? I usually have a few mixed drinks of Gin and Tonic and some beer.. some say not to mix beer with mixed drinks, but which mixed drinks are best to avoid hangovers?
I have always heard it is more the mix than the actual alcohol. The sweeter the mix, the more likely you will have a hangover, but I do know one thing, from experience, if you don't drink too much you will never have a hangover.. of course I have also heard if you drink enough, for enough years and become an alcoholic you won't have hangovers anymore cause you won't be sober often enough..I don't think that is the way I want to control hangovers...Drinking water and eating does help reduce the chance of hangovers..

Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
A hangover is your body's way of telling you it has been poisoned by too much alcohol. My advice to everyone is to drink in moderation and you won't get a hangover.
You are overstating what a hangover means, it is no alcohol poisoning by any stretch of the imagination.. It is overdoing it, but certainly not poisoning...

Old 03-10-2013, 12:03 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,504,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy9981 View Post
Which drinks give less of a hangover? I heard that you should stay away from darker colored liquors like Whiskey, Bourbon, and Dark Rum and of course Long Island Ice Teas with alot of different liquors and drink more lighter colored liquors like Vodkda and Gin, Vodka gives me quite a hangover.. I heard to drink some water between drinks and at the end of the night, but is there any other tips to avoid a hangover? I usually have a few mixed drinks of Gin and Tonic and some beer.. some say not to mix beer with mixed drinks, but which mixed drinks are best to avoid hangovers?
When you have a hangover the first thing you do upon awakening is drink 2 Bloody Marys and do a bong hit.

The hangover is gone straight away.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,272,367 times
Here's the medical take on it... it's mostly about blood chemistry.

Hangovers are caused by drinking too much alcohol. "Too much" differs from person to person.

The single largest effect is caused by alcohol-induced dehydration which causes thirst, dizzyness, and lightheadedness, and also triggers swelling of the brain (causing headache). Drinking water helps, but the fastest cure is drinking a sports drink which contains electrolytes, such as Gatorade. This also helps with a secondary effect of drinking alcohol, a lowering of blood sugar level, which can cause fatigue, weakness, shakiness and mood disturbances.

Too much alcohol also irritates the lining of the stomach, causing pain and nausea and delaying the emptying of the stomach. Eating something before or while drinking slows the uptake of alcohol, because the stomach is engaged in the digestive cycle when food is present. Food in the stomach also slows down the absorption of alcohol, avoiding rapid intoxication, hence the folk wisdom not to drink on an empty stomach. Once the stomach is upset, lightly eating bland, easily digestible food such as scrambled eggs and toast helps settle the stomach by moving contents on through the system. Contrary to popular mythology, eating greasy food slows recovery, and spicy food can make stomach irritation worse.

Congeners are complex trace chemicals which can make the effects of a hangover more severe, and which are found in higher amounts in "brown" spirits like whiskies, than in "white" spirits like vodka. The principle of sticking to the same liquor for an entire session is about limiting the number of different congeners in your system at one time. Individual reaction to various congeners varies, which is part of the reason one drink can make a particular person feel sick while another doesn't.

Here's more detail, from The Mayo Clinic:
Hangovers: Causes - MayoClinic.com

Old 03-10-2013, 05:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,476,578 times
if you drink a lot, knock back 2 liters of water and 3 advils before you go to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages