U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 PM
 
537 posts, read 623,684 times
Reputation: 892

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Buck a drink, or two on a top shelf cocktail. On tab a standard 20-30%, depending on service. I don't go in for flamboyant tips. It can be vulgar if you make it habitual, and overseas can actually be offensive. If I'm ignored I go elsewhere. There are usually lots of options around.
I think it's only vulgar to overtip if you make a big deal or brag about it. I typically leave my "vulgar" tip as I'm leaving, quietly, after a great experience. Hopefully, the bartender will smile and think--if only briefly--my life doesn't suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 AM
 
Location: Battle Creek, MI
494 posts, read 671,177 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Well I went against my earlier recommendation the last few nights. I'm in the hotel district of a big city (like the one I live in)...but a 1 oz shot was $7-10 and a bourbon on the rocks (pour was avg at best) was $13-15. I felt bad but I tipped $1 per drink. Two beers and 4 shots (1 oz Jager, not bombs) was $54. I didnt think I was in that trendy of a place. Had bourbon the next night and it was even worse... thought they may price Jager high to keep the trash out. Maybe its because I was in an expense account district...but I thought I had found a relative 'dive bar'.
OMG.. Expensive to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Been there before. I tip 1 to 2 bucks depending on drink. That bastard was short pouring me. I just tipped zero. Bastard even asked, where's the tip? I responded, in the bottle with the 1/2 shot you didn't pour.

I didn't make any bartender friends that night. I didn't waste any more money, either. I was tipping well, but he started short pouring the last hour of the night.


I also do the 1 to 2 bucks per drink as well. On the rare occasion i run a tab it is usually 20 to 30%..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I would NEVER tip a bartender who ignored me, and I probably wouldn't go back. Poor form.
Never really had this happen but if I get ignored i would leave the establishment and chances are high i never return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Wine Country
5,342 posts, read 6,413,205 times
Reputation: 9812
Being a bartender for many years in very busy places I can tell you if you tip big on the first round you will get preferential treatment. You do not have to tip that big on the subsequent rounds, but if you take care of us again at the end, you will have great service every time. People who do not tip until the last round will get crappy service, unless they establish a system that the bartender knows and the tip is generous at the end.

A smile and a good attitude also goes a long way. If you cannot afford to be a generous tipper make sure you are nice, patient and polite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 08:05 PM
 
1,789 posts, read 1,443,880 times
Reputation: 3680
I will generally tip $1 a drink if paying cash but $2 if its something more complicated to make than a simple mix. If I am running a tab its 20% unless I am a regular there and/or am known to the bartender in which case its more, sometimes double that. I find that I don't have problems getting a round even when its very crowded.

Not all places, but at most I have frequented I get a few free drinks so I think it evens out mostly.

I have never bartended but I have been friends with several bartenders and I would say that most do make fun of customers for various reasons, sometimes deservedly and sometimes stupidly. I can't say that I have ever heard one making fun of a customer for over tipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,482 posts, read 6,187,833 times
Reputation: 6957
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
20% or At least $2.00 per drink. If you cannot afford to tip, You cannot afford to drink in a bar. Hit the liquor store instead.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 06:25 PM
 
15,464 posts, read 13,457,619 times
Reputation: 21024
I have a floor tipping price of $2 a drink; after that it depends on different factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 PM
 
2,759 posts, read 3,416,902 times
Reputation: 3087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Being a bartender for many years in very busy places I can tell you if you tip big on the first round you will get preferential treatment. You do not have to tip that big on the subsequent rounds, but if you take care of us again at the end, you will have great service every time. People who do not tip until the last round will get crappy service, unless they establish a system that the bartender knows and the tip is generous at the end.

A smile and a good attitude also goes a long way. If you cannot afford to be a generous tipper make sure you are nice, patient and polite.
A good strong drink makes my smile wider and attitude even nicer.

If I've won well at a casino, I'll tip 2 or 3 dollars more on a single drink (rum and coke). I'll order a second one (and yes, the drink is even BETTER), and tip a few dollars more. My second drink is usually the limit because I want to walk steady to my hotel room.

Bartenders work hard, put up with crap, and who knows what drunk will act like a nut, so it's always good to tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Wine Country
5,342 posts, read 6,413,205 times
Reputation: 9812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
A good strong drink makes my smile wider and attitude even nicer.

If I've won well at a casino, I'll tip 2 or 3 dollars more on a single drink (rum and coke). I'll order a second one (and yes, the drink is even BETTER), and tip a few dollars more. My second drink is usually the limit because I want to walk steady to my hotel room.

Bartenders work hard, put up with crap, and who knows what drunk will act like a nut, so it's always good to tip.
Strong drink is a relative term. Just how strong do you expect the drink to be? A well made drink will not taste strong. If you want the bartender to pour you a double ask for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2014, 01:15 AM
 
Location: Oregon - Pahoa
95 posts, read 102,103 times
Reputation: 236
I disagree about the "respect" statement from OpenD. Former bartender/manager.... if you tipped me excessively... and you were nice. The only thing I said about you behind your back was "damn that guy tipped amazing, I hope he comes back". Certainly wouldn't be anything rude. In fact to be honest, it shocks me that someone getting tipped well would talk rudely about someone after doing so. This is absolutely perplexing to me. I don't know a bartender that does not live off tips, so talking badly about it, is just bad karma for me.

I do agree with Matt, if you come in somewhat regularly, I WILL remember you, and I will always make sure to take care of you. I will reap the rewards if I do. So tipping well comes with perks.

As for the drink that seemed like it didnt have any booze. There has been maybe 3 times in my entire life I have purposely made a drink wrong or didnt add alcohol.. (outside of someone who didnt need to drink more.. and selling them a rum and coke, and a coke price.. sans the rum). I suppose there are bartenders who do stuff like that.. but that was never me. So... being an honest person in my job, if someone complained there was no booze.. I would say sorry, shrug my shoulders and move on. Because I know that every drink I make is expertly made and generally made a bit more stiff than the recipe calls for. So saying there is no booze or hardly any.. is offensive. In this particular case, it basically is your word against the bartenders. Without video evidence.. and wanting to go to that extent to prove them wrong. Not worth your time. However, leaving a penny will do nothing for you. It is actually worse than no tip at all. Because it is a direct insult. I would have ordered the same drink from another bartender or at another bar to compare the two... before assuming you are screwed over. Sometimes there are honest mistakes.. and I guess sometimes people are just jerks. But... a good rule of thumb, is to never argue with the bartender. If you are skeptical.. make sure you actually watch them make you drink. Then you can call them out on it straight away... "Ummm hey.. I think you forgot the vodka there..."
Speaking of vodka... it is hard to taste that.. even flavored. Especially when you mix it with red bull. Go with a spider bite... and if you can't taste the tequila.. then you def know you have an issue on your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
I disagree. While I may not get "respect" for it, the next time I come back if I go to the same waitress she is always overpouring... and I love a strong drink.


It was a bomb.

Chug and done. There's no sipping involved. Therefore I had nothing to show the manager. But I do see your logic about not getting any value for the money I spent... excellent point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2014, 01:19 AM
 
Location: Oregon - Pahoa
95 posts, read 102,103 times
Reputation: 236
Above, Soda makes a good point.. that bartenders put up with a bunch of crap. At least as a female... you have men hit on your all night, and assume flirting will get them something free... you have women who act bitchy to you... never know what they want to drink and when they finally order.. they order some nonsense drink that takes 5 plus min. So... yes it is part of their job to make drinks. But part of their job is not to be treated like rubbish or a second class citizen. So yes, being nice and tipping well will get you a long way.

LuckyD, you also make a good point. A good bartender will always make a "good" drink. Which means they will over pour a bit. But if you want it strong.. order a double.

IF you are asking for something for free.. you can almost bet that your drink will be measured to perfection, to prove a point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Strong drink is a relative term. Just how strong do you expect the drink to be? A well made drink will not taste strong. If you want the bartender to pour you a double ask for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top