Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:47 AM

777 posts, read 1,062,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
I know over consumption is bad but how many do you guys drink on a daily basis? I don't drink often but will have 3-4 regular beers on a Saturday and 2 on a Sunday. I do not usually drink during the week but on rare occasions, like yesterday, I may drink upto 4 beers socially (over the course of an entire evening). I never exceed 4, that's my maximum.

would you classify my drinking as nothing to worry about or excessive?
Absolutely nothing to worry about. Don't let the anti-fun health nazis tell you otherwise. Goverments and health "experts" that say 2 beers a day or whatever is moderate drinking or a "limit" are so full of crap it is oozing out their eyes.

That isn't even enough to get properly buzzed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 AM

72 posts, read 127,418 times
I have 4-5 beers on weekdays and 10-15 beers on Saturday and Sunday!

Lol @ OP for freaking out about 5 beers over a weekend!

Also to the guy who was advocating drinking grape juice over beer for "health benefits" hahahaha!!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
I drink an average of 2-3 craft beers per day (which tend to be a bit higher in ABV & calories than BMC) and it may be to the point it's getting a little excessive, but I still feel it's healthier than all those people I see downing a six-pack or more of Coke or Mountain Dew everyday. All that sugar, worse the saccharin in "diet", plus the added phosphorous and other additives in soda are much worse for you in the long run. The main concern with alcohol is the ethanol itself, and effects on the liver, GI tract and of course psychologically...but you have to be a pretty hardcore alcoholic (functional or otherwise) for that to come to fruition.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:13 PM

632 posts, read 853,245 times
2 or 3 beers a day is pretty much my limit. I won't drink one until late afternoon at a minimum.
Rarely drink hard liquor.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Good segue topic for this bit of humor...

One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy Norm. and here's how it went:
"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.
"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.
In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

Old 04-30-2014, 04:22 PM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I drink one a day (after a 2 mile run) and it hits the spot. Usually, a Coors Light, Widmer, or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. With dinner, a glass of red wine.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:08 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
2 or 3 beers a day is pretty much my limit. I won't drink one until late afternoon at a minimum.
Rarely drink hard liquor.
Same here..Actually, I drink a beer with dinner in lieu if soda, tea, etc. Frankly, I prefer beer over soda.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:21 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
I know over consumption is bad but how many do you guys drink on a daily basis? I don't drink often but will have 3-4 regular beers on a Saturday and 2 on a Sunday. I do not usually drink during the week but on rare occasions, like yesterday, I may drink upto 4 beers socially (over the course of an entire evening). I never exceed 4, that's my maximum.

would you classify my drinking as nothing to worry about or excessive?
I once read a story about a woman who drank between 1-3 margaritas per night, four nights a week. After ten years she tried to stop all together (I don't recall why she wanted to stop, but do remember her saying she never thought it was a problem) and found that she couldn't.

I read another book about a young woman who drank no more than 3 drinks a night, yet, considered herself to be out-of-control. She describes herself as an alcoholic but the book was more about why young women drink than her own troubles with the bottle.

Personally, I drink between 1-3 beers per evening. Sometimes four depending on ABV. On some occasions I can have as many as 8, but those days are few and far between.

When I was younger and drinking stuff like Pabst I could easily go past a twelve-pack on a regular basis.

Quote:
was just wondering with the experts recommending 1 beer a day and all. It used to be 2 a day for men but I read recently that now they are saying anything more than 1 in a day is excessive.
This recommendation changes from time to time.

Quote:
Alcohol And Health

It is interesting to note that the above article mentions moderate drinking as 1-4 drinks!
I remember when four-to-seven per week was considered moderate. Now, it seems that up to four per night is considered moderate.

The problem with this sort of research, and the guidelines that stem from them, is that they are based on voluntary information. Most people probably lie about how much they really drink if asked, even if the questionnaire is anonymous.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:08 AM

16,667 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I once read a story about a woman who drank between 1-3 margaritas per night, four nights a week. After ten years she tried to stop all together (I don't recall why she wanted to stop, but do remember her saying she never thought it was a problem) and found that she couldn't.

I read another book about a young woman who drank no more than 3 drinks a night, yet, considered herself to be out-of-control. She describes herself as an alcoholic but the book was more about why young women drink than her own troubles with the bottle.

Personally, I drink between 1-3 beers per evening. Sometimes four depending on ABV. On some occasions I can have as many as 8, but those days are few and far between.

When I was younger and drinking stuff like Pabst I could easily go past a twelve-pack on a regular basis.

This recommendation changes from time to time.

I remember when four-to-seven per week was considered moderate. Now, it seems that up to four per night is considered moderate.

The problem with this sort of research, and the guidelines that stem from them, is that they are based on voluntary information. Most people probably lie about how much they really drink if asked, even if the questionnaire is anonymous.
When I was in the hospital last year, a hospital employee told my son that they assume everybody lies about how much they drink and smoke, so they just double all the answers in their evaluations.

As for me, I drink like you do. I drink 2-3 beers every evening. I don't like soft drinks, and tea keeps me up at night, so I drink beer. If we have pizza for dinner, I'll probably have an extra one that day.

I buy brewing ingredients at a couple of natural food stores, so I'm claiming that my beer is organic. That makes it better, doesn't it?

Old 05-02-2014, 12:08 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,860,337 times
They recently changed the "at risk" drinking levels, which I posted below.

I try to follow this & keep my drinking to equal to or less than 14 drinks a week, & no more than 4 on any day. Most days I have a drink of Kru 82 vodka (1.5 oz) over ice before dinner & then with dinner I'll have a beer that's either a Miller or Anheuser Busch bottom shelf product (nat ice or milw best ice), since craft beer makes me put pounds on & it's too expensive.

I also wonder about health benefits, because whenever I get a real bad cold, the only thing that cures it seems to be to drown it in vodka. Works every time.

Moderate or “low-risk” drinking
Research shows that people who drink moderately may be less likely to experience an alcohol use disorder (AUD). These drinking levels, which differ for men and women, are:

For men:
No more than 4 drinks on any single day AND no more than 14 drinks per week

For women:
No more than 3 drinks on any single day AND no more than 7 drinks per week

To stay low risk for AUDs, you must keep within both the single-day and weekly limits.
Moderate & Binge Drinking | National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages