U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 04:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,065 times

Advertisements

We had a beer party last night. Still hangover yeah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,828,993 times
Malibu on the rocks...YUM

Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 PM

5,250 posts, read 2,668,080 times
Now that summer is here and we are in prime rum season, I thought I'd give a little rummy shout out to Rum Diplimatico Exclusiva Reserva (yah, it's a mouthful but ohh what a heavenly mouthful) from Venezuela. Even though the name is tough to remember the elegant green bottle with the old man on it is very easy to recall. This is 12 year old gold in my book.

Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva « The Rum Howler Blog

I wont go into a bunch of tasting notes except to say this is great stuff, especially for the price of 30 bucks (although I've seen it priced up to $40 [I'm looking at you Binny's]). It is a bit sweet (it is made from sugar after all) but not in a cloyingly sweet way just in a natural rum way. It's very complex with a nice spicy finish too. This ain't no Bacardi.

Now, mind you I'm a whiskey (with or without the e) man normally but I also know that the whiskey market is a bit over heated right now imo so I sought out something not very trendy at the moment, rum. Fortunately, I've got a great local liquor store guy that feels the same way and he is stocking his shelves with some great quality rums right next to the whiskies for almost half the price of a comparable whiskey. Really this rum could easily cost 50 plus bucks. I've given it to my whisky swigging compadres and they all love it too. So do yourself a favor and seek out some quality rums. It's a great change of pace from whiskies and just as engaging an experience.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,210,968 times
My rum of choice is Ma Doudou, made in Cul de Sac on the island of St. Martin.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
My rum of choice is Ma Doudou, made in Cul de Sac on the island of St. Martin.
Never heard of it but with a name that sounds like **** then it's gotta be great...or the ****!

Old 07-18-2013, 03:18 PM

3,322 posts, read 3,590,476 times
Cruzan Rum is a good rum. It's costs about the same as Bacardi, but it's smoother and can be sipped unlike Bacardi which I have to mix anymore. I prefer the dark version, but the light version is good too.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 AM

10,111 posts, read 6,236,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
So, given that I am looking forward to summer (more like dreaming of it since this spring has been pretty miserable in the windy city) I thought what better summer drink then rum.

Actually, what really got me interested in rum recently was trying a Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 year old Solera Guatemalan rum (quite a mouthful, although a very tasty mouthful). I was blown away by its luscious sweet complexity. This is sipping rum in every sense of the phrase. Don't waste this in a coke.

Ron Zacapa Centenario (23 Solero) « The Rum Howler Blog

If your unfamiliar with the solera process it is basically when you age a rum or any beverage in a barrel, whatever you take out from the old stock you replace it with an equal amount of new stock. In this way there is always some old and new mixing together. I'm sure you will see more things aged this way in the future. Sherry does it quite a bit for one.

Solera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, what rums do you like or not. Anything rummy here.

PS Here's a good site to help you choose some quality rums:

The 2012 Rum Howler – Top 30 Rums « The Rum Howler Blog
Zacapa is a GREAT rum, not inexpensive though. I will pick up a bottle once in a while, my go to is Zaya. Not quite as good but close and a lot less cash.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Zacapa is a GREAT rum, not inexpensive though. I will pick up a bottle once in a while, my go to is Zaya. Not quite as good but close and a lot less cash.
I just had the Zaya 12 year old last night. Very good stuff. Especially for under 30 bucks. I still like the Zacapa better though. Honestly, I think the Diplimatico Reserva is almost as good as the Zacapa and can be had for about 30 buck a bottle. It comes in a cool green looking bottle too which is a nice bonus. There's some good deals in rum out there. Plus, it's a real good change of pace from my spirit of choice, whiskey.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:17 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,831,668 times
I happen to enjoy the taste of Myers Rum. I also had a wonderful rum/cream cordial while in Jamaica that I found that I liked better then Baileys.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,415,258 times
Has anyone heard of Mohawk rum? That's my usual drink (w/coke chaser) at a neighborhood bar. Had one recently, which mellowed me nicely and was sufficient.
Definitely heard of Mohawk vodka and see it in several stores, but not the rum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages