U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,137,490 times

Advertisements

And not weak stuff either... 70 proof!

I had to buy it because it it seemed like something that could only find in a place like Utah, where root beer (non-alcoholic, of course... as I thought ALL root beer was) is practically our official beverage. Decent tasting stuff too, surprisingly!

Anyway, do they sell this stuff in your neck of the woods? Is it weird as hell ...or have I just had too much already?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 08:27 PM

5,243 posts, read 2,664,171 times
Is it like root beer flavored schnapps? Or is it really just root beer with alcohol?

Old 05-11-2013, 09:28 PM

9,918 posts, read 20,473,878 times
It says Root Beer Liqueur on the label so I assume it's not really just alcoholic root beer. Art in the Age's "Root" is probably a lot closer to an actual alcoholic root beer: ROOT Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction They say that this kind of "root tea" was originally alcoholic and someone 100-odd years ago took the alcohol out and named it root beer oddly enough.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:49 AM

5,243 posts, read 2,664,171 times
According to wikipedia:

"Root beer, popularized in North America, comes in two forms: alcoholic and soft drink. The historical root beer was analogous to small beer in that the process provided a drink with a very low alcohol content."

I guess it was originally a beer then. That would be interesting to try since I like root beer.

Interestingly it goes on to say:

"In 1960 a key ingredient (the sassafras root) came to be known as a carcinogen and its use was banned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Following this ban companies began experimentation with artificial flavours and preparation techniques to remove the unhealthy effects of root beer while preserving its taste."

I didn't know sassafras root was a carcinogen. So much for all natural root beer I guess then. Maybe they take out the carcinogenic element in production somehow. Actually gumbo file is basically just ground sassafras I believe. I used it once to try to make authentic gumbo. I guess root beer and gumbo might just make a good dinner.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:38 PM

133 posts, read 231,191 times
Default Alcoholic root beer

Here in Wisconsin, Sprechers has released a "hard root beer". I haven't tried it. A friend of mine did, and wasn't impressed. She compared it to "Mike's Hard Lemonade" with root beer flavoring instead of lemon.

I can't imagine an actual fermented root beer that could have a significant alcohol content. That would require a much larger quantity of sugar that a regular brewer could use.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:34 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,539,229 times
It's basically vodka + sugar + flavorings:

Quote:
This root beer liqueur is produced by White Rock Distilleries of Lewiston, Maine. It is apparently made from a combination of wintergreen, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, anise and sweet birch; the combination of which creates an authentic root beer flavour. Although I was given a few other samples to take home and review, curiosity got the best of me, and the first of the sample bottles which was opened in my tasting room was the Blackmaker Root Beer Liqueur.

Blackmaker Root Beer Liqueur The Rum Howler Blog

Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 AM

13,143 posts, read 19,137,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's basically vodka + sugar + flavorings:
That makes more sense. I didn't actually look into it online.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:49 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,804,579 times
The marketers made a push here with Blackmakers a couple years ago. The couple places I had it they served it cold/frozen like Jagermeister. I enjoyed it, but like Jager its more syrupy so its good for a couple shots.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:01 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,539,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
The marketers made a push here with Blackmakers a couple years ago. The couple places I had it they served it cold/frozen like Jagermeister. I enjoyed it, but like Jager its more syrupy so its good for a couple shots.
Liqueurs are meant to be sipped slowly, not chugged. That's why they are thick and syrupy, to go down slowly.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 AM

4 posts, read 6,388 times
What does it taste? For sure, it's not good. It's better to make a new label of drink instead using others. If you made it, then you should have an originality and for sure it's liqueur not a root beer. Better to take the word "root beer" and replace it with your own originality label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages