U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:11 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,385,077 times

Advertisements

I'm mostly a wine & beer kinda gal...I love Pino Grigio this time of year, with some ice in it, but I have been avoiding wine like the plague lately because of the nasty hangovers I get. So, what do you do to either avoid, or get over, your hangovers?

One thing that worked for a couple of months...with every glass of wine, I would drink a glass of water. I would sleep well and wake up feeling pretty good. Unfortunately, it stopped working.

The only thing that seems to work most of the time, & I hate this method, is sweating it out. If I get my heartrate up & sweat during the hangover, it usually will go away.

So what are your 'cures'??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 01:18 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,460,613 times
More water for the dehydration, B-complex and more sleep for the fatigue, and jello or ginger ale for the irritated stomach.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,982,965 times
Gatorade is a must have in any serious drinker's arsenal.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:40 PM

3,843 posts, read 9,411,873 times
I found that the quality of the wine greatly determines how I feel the next day. Some wines have something in them that makes me have fitful sleep or wake up with a headache (and this has happened with only one glass). I've started seeking out quality wines and make note of the ones that don't affect me adversely. My usual price range is $10-$12.

As far as what happens if I do wake up with a hangover...plenty of water (I drink sparking water), B and C vitamins, a hearty protein filled meal and as much exercise as I can muster.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:16 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,585,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Gatorade is a must have in any serious drinker's arsenal.
I prefer the other stuff -- PowerAde? -- and plain yogurt if my tummy is roiling.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:31 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,385,077 times
Another thing that has helped in the past, which I can't seem to achieve anymore, was to wake up normal time (6-7am), go to the bathroom, take some advil & go back to sleep for a few hours. The few times I was able to get more sleep, I would wake up feeling more refreshed. Unfortunately lately it's impossible for me to get back to sleep.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:06 PM

12,984 posts, read 15,319,968 times
I know , what it's NOT - milk! I hardly drink anything anymore, but once I drank tequila. Woke up really thirsty, didn't have any pop, water didn't sound good, so I drank some milk and went back to sleep. Woke up later and threw up curdled, cottage cheese looking milk. BLECH.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 PM

4,827 posts, read 7,244,871 times
Water, water, and more water.

Vitamins

Sleep.

The absolute BEST cure for a hangover, though, is to not drink so much that you get drunk. When you drink that much, you're dehydrating your body and that's why you get the hangover. You can always drink 2 glasses of water to every glass of wine you drink -- that might help. My ex was an alcoholic but he would drink water constantly and he never had a hangover.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 PM

149 posts, read 217,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I'm mostly a wine & beer kinda gal...I love Pino Grigio this time of year, with some ice in it, but I have been avoiding wine like the plague lately because of the nasty hangovers I get. So, what do you do to either avoid, or get over, your hangovers?

One thing that worked for a couple of months...with every glass of wine, I would drink a glass of water. I would sleep well and wake up feeling pretty good. Unfortunately, it stopped working.

The only thing that seems to work most of the time, & I hate this method, is sweating it out. If I get my heartrate up & sweat during the hangover, it usually will go away.

So what are your 'cures'??

Try taking a Tylenol and eating a little something before you start drinking should prevent a hangover and sip wine don't try and guzzle glass after glass

Old 06-04-2013, 10:10 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,865,604 times
If I am a drunk I take an 800mg Motrin before I go to bed and wake up good to go. Mostly. I am not a doctor, but it works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages