Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:41 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times

Advertisements

I consider that the start of this steady relationship was April 1961, age 17. (Also heavy smoker for 20 years but that's another story.) During much of my working career, drank seven nights a wk. During one fairly prolonged period this entailed 50 beers and a half-liter of vodka per week.

Anyway, was able to retire young (53). During these 16 yrs. of retirement, beer reduced to 24 per week, four days a week only (Tue., Thu., Sat., Sun.).

Now I'm showing low blood sodium. Never a problem before. Cut back a month ago to only 16 drinks a week and half of them are 5 oz. glasses of wine. Trying to cut back on liquids to enhance the sodium. Diet sodas down from 12 per day to six per day. Not sure that liquid intake is what's causing the hyponatremia (low sodium) though.

The only other medical finding that may be ethanol-related is a 25-year history of elevated serum ferritin (a form of iron). Otherwise, all is normal; run up and down my hill 30 min. a day, six days a week. Home gym three days a week, using exercise bands rather than barbells / dumbbells these days.

Have to admit though, the mornings after the three non-drinking nights of Mon., Wed., and Fri., I feel like age 16 again. But the mornings after the four drinking nights, I feel like hell, all wiped out, even tho only four drinks a night are consumed.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
But the mornings after the four drinking nights, I feel like hell, all wiped out, even tho only four drinks a night are consumed.
First, four drinks a night is actually a lot. Cut it in half and see how that goes.

Second, as the body ages it changes. The changes in your body may not have anything to do with your drinking in the past, but they have everything to do with your drinking in the future. Pay attention to what the docs say, and do what they tell you.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
"Only four drinks"? Hey, one or two drinks a day is moderate consumption. Four drinks is not.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:11 PM

438 posts, read 660,229 times
My goodness. Give it up already. Imagine how you will feel with no drink at all.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Let's not let this part of the OP pass by unnoticed:

Quote:
Diet sodas down from 12 per day to six per day.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I consider that the start of this steady relationship was April 1961, age 17. (Also heavy smoker for 20 years but that's another story.) During much of my working career, drank seven nights a wk. During one fairly prolonged period this entailed 50 beers and a half-liter of vodka per week.

Anyway, was able to retire young (53). During these 16 yrs. of retirement, beer reduced to 24 per week, four days a week only (Tue., Thu., Sat., Sun.).

Now I'm showing low blood sodium. Never a problem before. Cut back a month ago to only 16 drinks a week and half of them are 5 oz. glasses of wine. Trying to cut back on liquids to enhance the sodium. Diet sodas down from 12 per day to six per day. Not sure that liquid intake is what's causing the hyponatremia (low sodium) though.

The only other medical finding that may be ethanol-related is a 25-year history of elevated serum ferritin (a form of iron). Otherwise, all is normal; run up and down my hill 30 min. a day, six days a week. Home gym three days a week, using exercise bands rather than barbells / dumbbells these days.

Have to admit though, the mornings after the three non-drinking nights of Mon., Wed., and Fri., I feel like age 16 again. But the mornings after the four drinking nights, I feel like hell, all wiped out, even tho only four drinks a night are consumed.
sounds like you are on a good track, trying to cut back. A lot of us should, Now, as for the low sodium, I have had slightly low for years and never has any doctor mentioned it to be connected with how much I do or do not consume...My mom in law had such low sodium she passed out several times, she was even hospitalized twice and I don't think in her entire life she consumed more than 12 drinks. Our doctor did say, when I had my last check up, low sodium is common in older people.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Let's not let this part of the OP pass by unnoticed:

wow, I missed that part. For those of you who are advising about the OP cutting back; realize how much he/she has and realize, they are only drinking 4 days a week. Actually, that amounts to about 2 drinks a day, which most say is perfectly acceptable. I would be more concerned about the apparently addiction to soft drinks.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:00 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
For those of you who are advising about the OP cutting back; realize how much he/she has and realize, they are only drinking 4 days a week. Actually, that amounts to about 2 drinks a day, which most say is perfectly acceptable.
Blood alcohol level does not work on averages. If it did, the OP could have all 16 drinks for a week in one night and still be sober.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Blood alcohol level does not work on averages. If it did, the OP could have all 16 drinks for a week in one night and still be sober.
did I say it did? My point is; the criticism being thrown around: the guy has cut way back on his drinking, he is to be congratulated not criticized for having 4 drinks in one night. Overall, 16 drinks a week probably isn't doing a lot of harm to his body as long as he is eating a balanced diet and it probably has nothing to do with his sodium level. That was my point.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Consider his age, and the probable inefficiency of his liver while processing alcohol. 4 beers a night for him would probably be the equivalent of 6 beers for a younger man his size. One thing noticed in alcoholics with years of drinking under their belt... It takes less alcohol for them to become drunk in most cases, even though they have a higher tolerance. The reason is their bodies cannot efficiently metabolize the alcohol.

To the OP, great work cutting down the drink. IMHO, you should consider cutting down even further. Will the extra couple beers during your "on" night really make you happier? What if it does, but at the expense of your health and longevity? Would you rather have an extra half decade to a decade to enjoy your drink?

Me personally, I've had stretches in my younger years where I drank too much. I'm not old by any stretch of the imagination, but that's besides the point. I'm much happier these days, even though I very rarely drink over 2 beers a night. I enjoy drinking, but I also treasure clarity of mind, not to mention waking up refreshed in the morning Your story actually sounds very similar to mine actually. I started drinking early on, especially when I discovered the art of home brewing. Quit the cigs thank god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages