U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:56 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,514,955 times

Advertisements

Back in the day, you could tell which beer was which, even if wearing a blindfold. I mean .... I don't know what is meant by malty, or yeasty, or hops-flavored, etc., but each had its own distinctive taste. When the companies folded and the names were bought up by large, profitable concerns, it all went to hell. They all taste the same now.

And these specialty beers today don't really taste like beer. Eg., they taste like blueberries (Leinie's Summer Wheat), lemonade (Summer Shandy), vanilla, chocolate, etc. etc. I mean, they're interesting tastes but they ain't beer, at least not as I remember it. Bummer, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:01 AM

12,677 posts, read 14,028,979 times
To an extent, I will agree, but with exceptions. I don't care for Budweiser, but I don't mind MGD or MHL. Coors tastes like watered down beer, and I don't care for it either. Rolling Rock = water. PBR and Schlitz stand out amongst other domestic macrobrews, and I prefer them over their competition. They are both brewed by the same company, so it doesn't surprise me that I can barely tell the difference between the two.

I always have a dirty 30 of PBR stocked at home. It's basically fermented corn syrup, but it hits the spot on a hot day in a way most other beers don't. Outside of that, I don't mess too much with domestic macrobrews.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:20 AM

5,305 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
To an extent, I will agree, but with exceptions. I don't care for Budweiser, but I don't mind MGD or MHL. Coors tastes like watered down beer, and I don't care for it either. Rolling Rock = water. PBR and Schlitz stand out amongst other domestic macrobrews, and I prefer them over their competition. They are both brewed by the same company, so it doesn't surprise me that I can barely tell the difference between the two.

I always have a dirty 30 of PBR stocked at home. It's basically fermented corn syrup, but it hits the spot on a hot day in a way most other beers don't. Outside of that, I don't mess too much with domestic macrobrews.
I like the fermented corn syrup remark. I always thought that most macrobrews were basically one and the same though. Although, I'll admit, my palate has been wrecked, mostly by hopped up brews like palate wrecker. So, it's pretty hard for me to tell them apart. I remember though that I once really liked New Glarus Spotted Cow and now it just tastes like a creamier Budweiser to me. I blame it all on Hop Stoopid and Zombie Dust though and their ilk. Not that I'm complaining mind you. I love being hop stoopid.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,398,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Back in the day, you could tell which beer was which, even if wearing a blindfold. I mean .... I don't know what is meant by malty, or yeasty, or hops-flavored, etc., but each had its own distinctive taste. When the companies folded and the names were bought up by large, profitable concerns, it all went to hell. They all taste the same now.

And these specialty beers today don't really taste like beer. Eg., they taste like blueberries (Leinie's Summer Wheat), lemonade (Summer Shandy), vanilla, chocolate, etc. etc. I mean, they're interesting tastes but they ain't beer, at least not as I remember it. Bummer, man.
That depends on your definition of beer, to me that's what beer tastes like. Bud, Coors, Miller etc dont taste anything like what I grew up on and consider beer.

OTOH I can easily tell the difference between the yellow water that is the big 3 by the taste they leave at the back of the tongue, they each have their own distinct state vomit taste which makes them easy to distinguish. Before it gets to the back of the tongue it is harder to taste the difference but I think its the way people drink it, just open the hatch and down it goes. Thats because its pretty much flavourless and its considered "refreshing" just because you skull it back and dont actually taste the cheap ingredients they use.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 AM

304 posts, read 858,453 times
Not sure if they used it in the past but I believe Budweiser (and likely the other US macrobrewers) uses rice in their brewing nowadays, I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than barley/malts.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:27 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,327,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

I agree..I also don't mind Coors Banquet once in a while

Old 07-25-2013, 07:52 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,452,167 times
Its very hard to taste a beer thats chilled down below 40 F which is why all those non-craft domestic brews taste like crap when they get warm. Its not because beer tastes like crap at room temp, its because the swill like Bud, Coors, MGD, Miller and etc taste like crap. If you really want to taste the difference let them come up to a cool room temp of 60-65 F and try that on.

That goes for anything. The colder something is the less you can taste it. Its why when your making homemade ice cream you have to get it sweeter than you think before freezing it because if it tastes perfect when you mix it, it will turn out tasting not sweet enough when frozen.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 PM

15,566 posts, read 13,559,246 times
I consider Bud, Coors, etc beer in name only. I honestly do not know why people drink this stuff given all the great beers there are available.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:07 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,479,768 times
I noticed recently that Schlitz in long necks has gone back to their '60s recipe. It tastes like Schlitz used to taste. That may or may not be a good thing. Sometimes you just want to throw back a bunch of easy drinking, inoffensive frosties on a hot afternoon. For me that beer is Miller High Life. It tastes like it's always tasted.
The OP is partially correct. All the industrial beers are geared towards a generic palate that basically doesn't like beer. They just do it in slightly different ways and use ingredients - rice and corn- that are cheaper than barley malt.
The current hipster craze for PBR is laughable and I'd argue has nothing to do with taste. It's the old school labeling and the fact that the swill is dirt cheap. It's a fashion statement, like intentionally driving a 30 year old beater Volvo. Slumming, if you will.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,342,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post

In general, maltiness refers to how sweet the beer tastes, but it also refers to other tastes ranging from "clean" to chocolet and everything in between depending on type of grain and how long the grain was roasted. To, add, adjuncts such as rice and corn can also contribute. Hops refers to two things, bitterness and aroma. Without hops, beer would probably be too sweet to drink. Also, that "beer smell" is largely from hops, too. As for yeast, unless it is something completely distinct like Chico or Ringwood, or lager vs ale, most people who are not (home)brewers will not be able to pick out the distinct characteristics contributed to by yeast. But if a beer tastes "yeasty", it may have been contaminated.

As for specialty beers, wouldn't you expect a blueberry beer to taste more like blueberries and less like beer? That's like expecting a bowl of frosted flakes to taste like regular old bran flakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
Not sure if they used it in the past but I believe Budweiser (and likely the other US macrobrewers) uses rice in their brewing nowadays, I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than barley/malts.
Back in the day rice and corn were used to help conserve grains. I believe Budweiser still uses rice extract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Its very hard to taste a beer thats chilled down below 40 F which is why all those non-craft domestic brews taste like crap when they get warm. Its not because beer tastes like crap at room temp, its because the swill like Bud, Coors, MGD, Miller and etc taste like crap. If you really want to taste the difference let them come up to a cool room temp of 60-65 F and try that on.

That goes for anything. The colder something is the less you can taste it. Its why when your making homemade ice cream you have to get it sweeter than you think before freezing it because if it tastes perfect when you mix it, it will turn out tasting not sweet enough when frozen.
I agree, I almost never refrigerate my beer, but will sometimes use a frosted glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I consider Bud, Coors, etc beer in name only. I honestly do not know why people drink this stuff given all the great beers there are available.
I am the guy who buys the microbrews (I dislike the term craft beer) and imports, but also likes Bud, Miller High Life, and will drink Coors Lite, even, although I would not describe it as anything good. I simply like beer and I honestly think Bud and Miller make good beers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages